My $999.00 "921"

tankerman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Northeastern Maryland
Does anyone have any idea what Dish is going to do with the customers with MPEG 2 recievers?
I assume that when these new VOOM channels come out this week, I won't be able to recieve them.
I love my 921. Sure you have to reboot it a couple of times a week, but I'm still happy with it.
They better have a good deal for the long time customers.
I've been with Dish and only Dish for about 10 years now.
I paid $999 for my 921. It's only a year and a half old.
Anybody have any info?

Welcome to the club. My $999 921 that I waited for over a YEAR to get (brilliant move on my part) will soon be a "parts box" as well. I hope they do SOMETHING for us!!! :(

Ebay it and try to get some $$$ back. That's what I will likely do about two months after the 622 hits the market. I want to give sometime for some kind of upgrade offer to take place.

Cyclone said:
Ebay it and try to get some $$$ back. That's what I will likely do about two months after the 622 hits the market. I want to give sometime for some kind of upgrade offer to take place.

I think by then, it'll be too late. The value would drop considerably since the 921's would be obsolete when the 622 hits the market. The 921 has been eclipsed by the 942 but for those that want a simple HD DVR, the 921 is quite affordable now at around $399 - $450 for it. This is a good time to get a 921 if you just want a MPEG2 HD receiver since that's only $50 more than a 811.

Right before the 622 comes out, I think I'll Ebay mine. Or just keep it around for memory sake. We'll see.

I seriously doubt Dish will offer any type of upgrade to existing HD customers for quite some time. Dish seems to have adopted the policy of enticing new business with incentives and ignoring the pleas of long term customers asking for a deal or offer to upgrade to the newest technology. The 942 comes to mind as an example. I have been a Dish Everything Pak customer from day one in 1994? and still have no leverage for the lease deal on the 942.

Get used to the mpeg2 channels you are watching because no deal will be offered for the mpeg4 equipment until mpeg 2 is about to go dark. Remember the 4psk to 8psk transition? Took a while to get to the customers using the model 5000 with the HD modulator. And that had the sense of urgency because the recording that was going on.

In other words if you are not a "New Fish" ready to be caught by Dish be ready to buy your way to mpeg 4 for big bucks. Dish will chum the waters with incentives for the new business LONG before feeding current customers already on the hook

Indy said:
I seriously doubt Dish will offer any type of upgrade to existing HD customers for quite some time...
Get used to the mpeg2 channels you are watching because no deal will be offered for the mpeg4 equipment until mpeg 2 is about to go dark. Remember the 4psk to 8psk transition? Took a while to get to the customers using the model 5000 with the HD modulator. And that had the sense of urgency because the recording that was going on.
In other words if you are not a "New Fish" ready to be caught by Dish be ready to buy your way to mpeg 4 for big bucks. Dish will chum the waters with incentives for the new business LONG before feeding current customers already on the hook
I think you are right.

I shudder to think what the life of a Dish CSR is going to be when LiL HD becomes available and existing customers are told...

"Yes,you can get HD locals...If you send me $700 MORE dollars. Your 942 is still a "fine receiver."
("Fine receiver" was an actual term used by a Dish CSR when I called yesterday to see the minimum programming I could carry and still be eligible for any potential "upgrade" and if I could use my 942 and 921 as OTA receivers.)

Try explaining to the wife that the less-than-a-month-old 942 you just bought (to augment your less-than stellar performing 921) is going to result in the expenditure of even MORE money for a Di-rect TV HD DVR, which will ALSO have to be exchanged for MORE money, unless you want to wait and see how Dish is going to ask you for MORE money to exhange your 942.

"Yes Honey, you can get the Lifetime Abused Women Channel back, just as soon as I get down to Best Buy and cough up another $600, but don't worry, there's a REBATE!"

I also think they will "tier" the pricing for the HD pack. 921 and 942 suckers will pay one price. The "expanded HD" pack will cost more.

I propose we have an "HD Sucker Index," and use it to determine the price of any 622 upgrade. For example:

If you paid $1000 for your 921 AND $699 for your 942, you're a Grade A+ Sucker.

If you paid $549 for your 921 and $699 for your 942, you're a Grade A, etc.

I'm sure they have run the numbers, and the HD DVR people they lose to cable and D* will just be a small blip in the churn report.

Last edited:
The value of your 921 just dropped to less than $349. A used one is probably worth under $250-300 now since the new ones will retail for $349. The value will drop the longer you wait because they may not reactivate HD channels on them after Feb. 1st. Once Feb. 1st hits the value will probably be a little higher than the 721 since it has more storage space and OTA HD tuner. The satellite HD tuner wont mean a dang thing by that time. Maybe you will get a little more out of it if you stored some HD movies on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)