My Box Still Crashes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rollerfink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Detroit
Since the software update a few weeks ago I have been getting far less crashes.

But my STB still crashes at least once every other day. It's kind of annoying to have to get up and re-boot the box and then wait for the guide data to fiull back in.

Do you think they're still working on stabilizing these things or do they think it's all fixed now.

My box crashed for the first time in two weeks Friday night @ 8.

No amount of reboots and unpluggings get it back. They're sending a new box. So I'll be VOOMless for a week or so.

I'm really on the fence... should I have them just take it all back (cancel) or replace it. The failure rate on these boxes is pretty bad... mine lasted 34 days. :eek:

rollerfink said:
Since the software update a few weeks ago I have been getting far less crashes.

But my STB still crashes at least once every other day. It's kind of annoying to have to get up and re-boot the box and then wait for the guide data to fiull back in.

Do you think they're still working on stabilizing these things or do they think it's all fixed now.

I would ask for a replacement. The last software has made the boxes very stable and I can tell you that only once I had the box crashed on me. I have two boxes.

I have still not had the box crash on me since the last software update. I've experienced some of the other issues people have mentioned with the new software (i.e. no audio), but stability has been great for me. Note I don't do a lot of channel surfing; I pick the channel from the guide that is showing content I want to see, and stick with it.

My box still crashes a lot. It seems to happen if you change channels rapidly... all of sudden it would freeze up. But why would replacing the box help? Is there differences in the hardware?

well, there has to be slight differences in the hardware then... I wonder what it is? It might be something in the manufacturing process, since the boxes should have all the same nuts and bolts. Unless there are more then one manufacturing plant... but I doubt it. If the Voom guys read this forum, hopefully they will start looking at the problem.

I wonder if they launched too fast...

I have two boxes, and they both crash several times a day. I can't believe I have 2 bad boxes, so at this point I will assume that the software is just incredibly unstable. BTW, I never put boxes in standby. They are always on.

Wierd how some crash and others don't. Mine crashed the second day I had it and it's been perfect since then...that was almost two months ago. Mine gets turned off always after use.

My box is also off (standby) when I am not watching TV.

I personally doubt that hardware differences are responsible for most of the issues people are reporting. Each logic board is assembled in an automated assembly line with identical components (for the most part). When there are defective units, QA (probably automated) should sort out these boxes. Some 2% or 3% of units might be defective some way that does not show itself during the QA process, but I doubt it is any more than that.

There are minor differences in how we all have the box configured. Some may have more channels in their favorites list; some may have more mapped channels in their guide; some may have more programs scheduled in their program planner; and some may be using different HD output modes, etc. Some keep the box on all the time, while others use standby. We also have different preferences for what we watch and how we watch it. I think is these interactions within the current software that is to blame.

The next major software update is supposed to be coming the first week of May (if not sooner), so hopefully more of these issues will be resolved.

My box crashed for the first time in two weeks Friday night @ 8.

No amount of reboots and unpluggings get it back. They're sending a new box. So I'll be VOOMless for a week or so.

I'm really on the fence... should I have them just take it all back (cancel) or replace it. The failure rate on these boxes is pretty bad... mine lasted 34 days. :eek:

The same thing happened to me at the exact same time. No amount of reboots / unpluggings get it back. I have to wait until next Thursday to get mine back. What a pain. I will see how the new one goes.

Guys, rapid channel change indeed causes a lockup. This has been discussed in this thread and it is item number 4 on the list of important issues. VOOM and Motorolla are aware of this problem and are working on it. I think this is a software bug, so STB replacement shouldn't help.

The fact that some people are having this problem while others don't, could be simply explained by different surfing habits. Some people are more aggressive on their remotes than others. Not everyone makes 2-3 clicks per second on the CH-Up/Down button - what seems to be causing the lockup. Some just press it and hold, others prefer SurfBar navigation, etc.

The workaround until the new version: don't switch channels too quickly!
If you need to skip several channels, use navigation buttons followed by "OK".

Most of my lockups occur when I haven't touched anything in several hours. The boxes bug out all by themselves with no help from me. Sometimes I see a red "satellite" signal on the front of the box, sometimes the audio is still going with no picture, sometimes the channel is working perfectly but both the remote and the buttons on the box have no effect at all except for the soft reboot, and sometimes I have to unplug the unit and reboot it a few times to get it back running.

The only thing I see in common in this thread is the fact that most of us that are having problems leave the box on 24/7.

I never had the box crash while surfing.

Like I said, I think the software needs a SERIOUS overhaul, and not just because of the crashes.

oddwunn,
This must be a different problem then. I would suggest you try using the standby mode on one or both of your STBs. See if it makes a difference.

For whatever it's worth.....I've been live for two weeks now. Not one single crash. Newest version came the first night, but it didn't crash the first day, either. I generally, but not always, hit the "sat" button when not watching. I've pounded the thing over and over and over while testing/analyzing numerous inside and outside antenna locations. Never a freeze or lockup. No audio problems either. I don't know why some seem to have many problems and others have none.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts