my delimma with getting "upgraded"...

spanky

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
This has been going on for a while now.
Back in early nov,like the first week, I got a call from dish trying to upgrade my equiptment sinse I was a preffered member and all.
So I decided maybe it's time to give in to the Empress's constant badgering about not having a tivo and decided to get a dvr.
Well, the special of the day was a new hd dvd for free along with 6 mo free hd. Cool,I thought. I ask about upgrading my old 5000 rec, absolutely the salesman says.
So I say I want a 622 or 722, along with a 222 and he says thats no problem,only he wasn't sure if they had any 722 available. I say that's fine set it up.
So I wait 2 weeks for the install,Nov 6th,take the day off and wait, The install tech shows up at 11:40am,well, at least it's before noon-right.
We go over where everything goes and he pulls out the work order...
Ok, you get a 211 here and a (I honestly don't remember the other number at this point I'm bummed about the hddvr) whatever number here that has NO hd.
I'm like uhhh-no.
We go over some other things and I tell him about my occaisional loss of signal in bad storms(trying to get a feel if it's common or not).
So he tells me I don't have a good enough LOS, so if that's true why are the signal numbers so high? 87 and 79.
Anyways, he says that if we move the dish over here it'll work better,whatever.
So now he doesn't have the equiptment I origionally agreed on getting,and a call to Dish says I have to pay $249 for all of this this. Needless to say,I cancel this and call dish myself.

New csr now,round 2. I talk to a gal and we get everything squared away, next soonest install nov 22nd.
I hang up not realizing that's turkeyday-this won't work.
I call back and get the automated thing-reset appointment for the 16th-now why didn't I get this date the last time? Whatever.
So round 3...
The next installer shows up...Not as professional attitude as the last guy-could be a problem.
YUP,I was right.
He walks into the back yard and says this won't work,this is after we go over everything that the last installer and I talked about. He says, I think that you might have a problem with getting signal back here- So I tell him what the last tech said about moving it over a bit. He wasn't interested in that idea.
And again...whatever.
So he proceeds to tell me that a "supervisor" will come out to verify or deny his thoughts-I ask when-he doesn't know.
So he leaves,I leave right behind him.He proceeds to pull over and get out of his truck to talk to the direct tv installer that is puttin up a dish 3 houses away from mine.How ironicis this?
So another week goes by,no word from the supervisor so I call dish-of course they don't know nuttin'.

So if I haven't bored you yet here comes to good stuff-
I email DISHCEO....
read on.
"I've been a dish customer for quite some time.
I was contacted a while ago via one of your telecomunicators wanting to give me an upgrade on equiptment.
I decided it would be good because I've had numerous problems with the 811 I purchased when it forst came out-and I learned that it was "old technology" not long after that purchase.
Long story short, the "sales guy" for lack of a better term laid out a package of the 622 or the 722(wasn't sure which one I would recieve-1st red flag there) and repacing my 5000 receiver with a 222.
This way I would be able to utilize two of my hdtv's and be able to use a dvr.
When the installers showed up they had a workorder for something entirely different,and after calling dish about this they were told I would need to pay for all this "upgrade".
I make a call into dish after the installers leave(per their advise) and got the order corrected.
Now I need to pay an additional $50 to recieve the 722 and will still get the 222 and be able to use a dvr for the wife.
A different installer shows up and says it won't work. No reception possible.
Now, if I'm getting good reception now is the 3rd satellite that far out to get a signal from?
So now I guess I'm waiting for the "supervisor" of the install company to come out and verify all of this.
This has been going on for a while now,should I just cancel my subcription with dish and get direct tv like my neighbors?
It sure would be nice to know what to do.
To be fair to the installer, I did tell him that with very severe storms I can lose a sgnal, and was curious if this was common-that's when he said he could'nt do an install-would'nt he know for sure if he actually went onto the roof and took a reading?
Thanks for taking the time to read this."

That was my email-here's the reply...
"Would you like me to send a field service manager for a second opinion?"
Here's my next email...
"Well, it's either that or I get Direct"
Then his..."You would have to purchase all three from DirecTV. They don’t have a leasing promotion for three HD DVR’s either. "
Now at this point I'm boiling-because I don't even want 3 receivers.And these emails are not edited-I only left off the names-this is the extent of his emails to me.
So here's the last one I sent...
"Apparently you're not catching my drift.
I never signed up for 3 units any ways,you must be the guy that took my order the first time and got it wrong.
I'm wanting to get service using an hd dvr,plain and simple-I never asked for freebies, or anything about how much,this is just the service that I want,please feel free to re-read my initial email to you.
Now, is there a way to get someone to get this done?"

And that's the last I heard from the "ceo".
Honestly, am I just being too selfish here?
Thanks for reading!

nah that sounds to be about the norm customer service nowdays from Dish or E* or whatever the crap they are called now. Its gone down the crapper. Im seriously thinking of going to Direct myself, even though I never liked it and I am not familar at all how to install their equipment.

This has been going on for a while now.
Back in early nov,like the first week, I got a call from dish trying to upgrade my equiptment sinse I was a preffered member and all.
So I decided maybe it's time to give in to the Empress's constant badgering about not having a tivo and decided to get a dvr.
Well, the special of the day was a new hd dvd for free along with 6 mo free hd. Cool,I thought. I ask about upgrading my old 5000 rec, absolutely the salesman says.
So I say I want a 622 or 722, along with a 222 and he says thats no problem,only he wasn't sure if they had any 722 available. I say that's fine set it up.
So I wait 2 weeks for the install,Nov 6th,take the day off and wait, The install tech shows up at 11:40am,well, at least it's before noon-right.
We go over where everything goes and he pulls out the work order...
Ok, you get a 211 here and a (I honestly don't remember the other number at this point I'm bummed about the hddvr) whatever number here that has NO hd.
I'm like uhhh-no.
We go over some other things and I tell him about my occaisional loss of signal in bad storms(trying to get a feel if it's common or not).
So he tells me I don't have a good enough LOS, so if that's true why are the signal numbers so high? 87 and 79.
Anyways, he says that if we move the dish over here it'll work better,whatever.
So now he doesn't have the equiptment I origionally agreed on getting,and a call to Dish says I have to pay $249 for all of this this. Needless to say,I cancel this and call dish myself.

New csr now,round 2. I talk to a gal and we get everything squared away, next soonest install nov 22nd.
I hang up not realizing that's turkeyday-this won't work.
I call back and get the automated thing-reset appointment for the 16th-now why didn't I get this date the last time? Whatever.
So round 3...
The next installer shows up...Not as professional attitude as the last guy-could be a problem.
YUP,I was right.
He walks into the back yard and says this won't work,this is after we go over everything that the last installer and I talked about. He says, I think that you might have a problem with getting signal back here- So I tell him what the last tech said about moving it over a bit. He wasn't interested in that idea.
And again...whatever.
So he proceeds to tell me that a "supervisor" will come out to verify or deny his thoughts-I ask when-he doesn't know.
So he leaves,I leave right behind him.He proceeds to pull over and get out of his truck to talk to the direct tv installer that is puttin up a dish 3 houses away from mine.How ironicis this?
So another week goes by,no word from the supervisor so I call dish-of course they don't know nuttin'.

So if I haven't bored you yet here comes to good stuff-
I email DISHCEO....
read on.
"I've been a dish customer for quite some time.
I was contacted a while ago via one of your telecomunicators wanting to give me an upgrade on equiptment.
I decided it would be good because I've had numerous problems with the 811 I purchased when it forst came out-and I learned that it was "old technology" not long after that purchase.
Long story short, the "sales guy" for lack of a better term laid out a package of the 622 or the 722(wasn't sure which one I would recieve-1st red flag there) and repacing my 5000 receiver with a 222.
This way I would be able to utilize two of my hdtv's and be able to use a dvr.
When the installers showed up they had a workorder for something entirely different,and after calling dish about this they were told I would need to pay for all this "upgrade".
I make a call into dish after the installers leave(per their advise) and got the order corrected.
Now I need to pay an additional $50 to recieve the 722 and will still get the 222 and be able to use a dvr for the wife.
A different installer shows up and says it won't work. No reception possible.
Now, if I'm getting good reception now is the 3rd satellite that far out to get a signal from?
So now I guess I'm waiting for the "supervisor" of the install company to come out and verify all of this.
This has been going on for a while now,should I just cancel my subcription with dish and get direct tv like my neighbors?
It sure would be nice to know what to do.
To be fair to the installer, I did tell him that with very severe storms I can lose a sgnal, and was curious if this was common-that's when he said he could'nt do an install-would'nt he know for sure if he actually went onto the roof and took a reading?
Thanks for taking the time to read this."

That was my email-here's the reply...
"Would you like me to send a field service manager for a second opinion?"
Here's my next email...
"Well, it's either that or I get Direct"
Then his..."You would have to purchase all three from DirecTV. They don’t have a leasing promotion for three HD DVR’s either. "
Now at this point I'm boiling-because I don't even want 3 receivers.And these emails are not edited-I only left off the names-this is the extent of his emails to me.
So here's the last one I sent...
"Apparently you're not catching my drift.
I never signed up for 3 units any ways,you must be the guy that took my order the first time and got it wrong.
I'm wanting to get service using an hd dvr,plain and simple-I never asked for freebies, or anything about how much,this is just the service that I want,please feel free to re-read my initial email to you.
Now, is there a way to get someone to get this done?"

And that's the last I heard from the "ceo".
Honestly, am I just being too selfish here?
Thanks for reading!

I can check on the promos and post back. But I believe Dish will allow only two HD tuners with the Dish 'n it Up promo. After that you may have to purchase any additional EQ..So that means, you can upgrade to the 722, a dual tuner HD dvr ( do not accept the 622 as an alternate) ..Besides, the tech cannot install a 622 in lieu of a 722 if the 722 is on the w/o...
If you want to accomodate your second HD tv you may have to purchase the 222..
Now the message was correct when it mentioned " all three"...DTV ...Their HD DvR is a dual tuner but designed to feed only ONE tv..So theoretically you'd need three receivers for three tv's the HD DVR, the single tuner HD receiver and a Standard def reciver for the third tv..If I understand your post properly..
Anyway... Without your location it's difficult to answer the line of sight issue...Just to let you know, in the eastern half of the US the 129 satellite orbital slot for HD national programming can be rather low in the sky. Here in my area it is just 24 dgrees above the horizon...Meaning a a tall tree 100 feet away in your neghbor's yard could in fact block the signal....The other satellite at 61.5 degrees is in the southeastern sky and is very high above the horizon..Here it is 44 degrees..However that would require a second dish to be mounted. I do these when necessary. No big deal.
It is unfortunate that you have had this poor experience.

Not to offend, but if you talk on the phone the way you write forum posts, I can see someone misunderstanding when they took your order.

That being said, I had no trouble at all figuring out what you were talking about and I bet Claude at The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25 would be able to figure it out too. It is unfortunate that there is so little knowledge amongst the customer support staff.

I would clearly define what you want at each TV

TV1: HD and DVR
TV2: ???
TV3: ???

and so on. Then, from that information, a good rep can pick out a good receiver choice for you based on what you want at each TV.

Lastly, free install gets you install quality that is worth the same, ie., worthless. I recommend you hire an installer directly and find a rate you both agree is worthwhile to the job. Fulfillment installs tend to put too many hands in the pot and leaves little in the way of accountability. You should hire a tech that you can call directly from then on whatever your needs are. As a tech, that's how I work, my customers know me as their go-to guy, they don't even call Dish.

I
Lastly, free install gets you install quality that is worth the same, ie., worthless. I recommend you hire an installer directly and find a rate you both agree is worthwhile to the job. Fulfillment installs tend to put too many hands in the pot and leaves little in the way of accountability. You should hire a tech that you can call directly from then on whatever your needs are. As a tech, that's how I work, my customers know me as their go-to guy, they don't even call Dish.

Not true!
Initial installs and up-grades include free installation!!!
This is by all Dish installers and all contractors!

First off: the OP did not get a call from Dish Network. He got a call from an 800 traveling Dish retailer. Does this retailer have a store front, probably not.
Will he be around for any problems in a month or two, probably not. Corporate Dish Network has never offered a free dvd player in their promotions!!

Use the yellow pages, yes, they still exist. Call a local retailer and he'll let you know if he can do the upgrade or if Dish themselves has to do it.

fred

Not true!
Initial installs and up-grades include free installation!!!
This is by all Dish installers and all contractors!

First off: the OP did not get a call from Dish Network. He got a call from an 800 traveling Dish retailer. Does this retailer have a store front, probably not.
Will he be around for any problems in a month or two, probably not. Corporate Dish Network has never offered a free dvd player in their promotions!!

Use the yellow pages, yes, they still exist. Call a local retailer and he'll let you know if he can do the upgrade or if Dish themselves has to do it.

fred

I wasn't commenting on what DISH's policy is on for upgrades, etc. I'm just saying that a lot of free installs end up being garbage and are worthless. It's better to just pay for an install and use someone who comes highly recommended.

Ok... I thought I was making sense in my post-sorry if it "wanders" a bit.
I only want 2 receivers, a 722 and a 222.
I specifically requested this and thught it was understood.
The origional call was,so I thought, from dish network.

Ok... I thought I was making sense in my post-sorry if it "wanders" a bit.
I only want 2 receivers, a 722 and a 222.
I specifically requested this and thught it was understood.
The origional call was,so I thought, from dish network.

That's alright. As myself and Fredinva have suggested, use the local guy. Dish is only good for providing programming and engineering hardware (some beg to differ), but the local guy will usually do a better job and won't be in a rush to get 3 other installs after yours done and so you won't get a "hurry up" job. That is, if you check out the guy you hire first.

Sounds like good advise,but to clarify, When I purchased my first receiver(5000) I installed it all myself (and have never had issues with the install either). But after a few years had passed, I tried to get a additional receiver and my local dealer told me he wasn't allowed to sell me one,that I had to go through dish directly. I assumed this was still the case.
Fredinva, no one offered me a dvd player-is this just a typo?
And dish is/was offering a free dvr hd unit.
Thanks for the replies guys!

Sounds like good advise,but to clarify, When I purchased my first receiver(5000) I installed it all myself (and have never had issues with the install either). But after a few years had passed, I tried to get a additional receiver and my local dealer told me he wasn't allowed to sell me one,that I had to go through dish directly. I assumed this was still the case.
Fredinva, no one offered me a dvd player-is this just a typo?
And dish is/was offering a free dvr hd unit.
Thanks for the replies guys!

I have heard of DISH requiring all upgrades to be done through the original retailer of record. This could be the CostCo or wherever you bought the system at. I think someone has mentioned on here a way to release you from the original retailer of record. If that happens, you can go through any retailer you like. If all else fails, you might have to just hire someone locally on an hourly or contract basis and then just have DISH come out after he's done and put the box on the TV set. To get things done right is gonna cost money sometimes.

Well the original retailer was Ultimate audio-now out of business in my area.This shouldn't be a problem for me now-I'll definately look into this, I don't mind paying for service-after all you truly do get what you pay for!
I was told from another local retailer,not a snot nosed kid at sears or best buy, that for any upgrades on an existing account you had to go through dish.

Well...that's not what the last 2 csr's have said to me on the phone.
But then again...this dish we're talking about!LOL!
As of the last time I spoke to a csr,my appointment for jan 24th,is everything will be free of charge with the exception of the 722-which will be a $49 fee.

I currently work at dish in advanced technical support I can check the work order to verify its cost and the rcvr's being installed. Just p.m. me your account info I have helped several customers with these issues and from what your saying that sounds really off, the price should be different.

And wow that appointment is a long way did you request that from one of our csr or was the the soonest available date and time?

Wow! Jan 24th lol
Looks like you are locked in to a Dish Regional installer.
Unfortunate.

The Retailer of Record post was the key. You are a "DISH" customer.
Dish is the retailer of record.
A Local Retailer with the know how could have gotten this changed with a request and got your new HD system installed much quicker.

Still possible with a bit of work by you and a 'good' local retailer.
He could possibly get the ROR changed.
Then cancel the 'via CSR agreement', and get a new agreement with local guy.
Have system installed within a few days. We do it!!!

fred

Wow! Jan 24th lol
Looks like you are locked in to a Dish Regional installer.
Unfortunate.

The Retailer of Record post was the key. You are a "DISH" customer.
Dish is the retailer of record.
A Local Retailer with the know how could have gotten this changed with a request and got your new HD system installed much quicker.

Still possible with a bit of work by you and a 'good' local retailer.
He could possibly get the ROR changed.
Then cancel the 'via CSR agreement', and get a new agreement with local guy.
Have system installed within a few days. We do it!!!

fred

Good point I have actually changed the retailer to get a sooner date to save customers or called dispatch to open up a manual date time for a tech to go

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)