My Directv Cancellation Story

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sparkman

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Charlotte,NC
We bought a house late February and after 10 years with Directv I decided that I was going to go with streaming at the new house. We had 3 weeks with both house so I decided to test the streaming ended up going with Playstation Vue and Spectrum for Internet and their pick 10 package to get the nets that Vue doesn't carry. We moved this Saturday, so Sunday I called to cancel my Directv and my AT&T Fiber internet. 1 call cancelled both, but I was then told that as of January 14th no longer pro rated refunds, so I had to pay for an entire month even though I was a little over halfway through. I got it cancelled then called back last night to speak to a supervisor, All communication with CSR's and supervisors was useless. I was told this is now policy and nothing would change it. The culture change with AT&T is apparent. SO, at 10pm last night I filed a complaint with the BBB and explained my thoughts. At 11 am today I heard from the AT&T Presidents office. Right away I was told I was being credited as if the 17th. THey have have many complaints according to the lady I spoke with, but she was firm that the policy will not change. 1 day into a months service and you owe the entire month. I was very clear with her that this policy means that I will no longer coming back to Directv under any circumstances. I got the opinion from all of the people that I talked with that the people that set these policies don't really car about the effect on their subscribers.

So far I'm very pleased with my choice. Very few buffering issues, Spectrum 1 Gig has been very reliable. New subdivision, so all new equipment probably helps. Some things about streaming take getting used to, I think it's a good fit. And, my Directv bill, after credits were expiring, was going to be about $150.mo, I'm at about $82/ month now.

So, if anyone is considering cancelling Directv, make sure u=you do it at the end of your billing cycle.

Also watch for billing for services after you cancel. I got a $35.00 bill for programming after my cancellation date. I spent 5 hours on the phone trying to get it resolved. Five months after I thought it was resolved AT&T turned me over to collections. It was a fine way to treat a 14 year customer who was on autopay. I also did edgecutter testing for them for over 10 years.

After going through “Office of President” I finally got a refund.

This company (AT&T) is slime!

Reactions: Nate Bargmann
As far as the non Pro rated cancellations ... that is correct, they changed that at the first of the year and subs were advised ...

Do I like it ?
No .... but that is what thier TOS say now.

Many companies and services do not prorate on cancellation. I don't know of any streaming service that does, cellular - both prepaid and postpaid no longer prorate, why even the toothpaste of the month club, they just allow you to keep using the toothpaste until the end of the month and then no longer bill.

That change doesn't bother me much, it is just essentially that all services are sold by the month, not by the day. ETF on the other hand, is a dated problem that they need to eliminate (which they likely intend to with internet delivery instead of satellite).

As far as the non Pro rated cancellations ... that is correct, they changed that at the first of the year and subs were advised ...

Do I like it ?
No .... but that is what thier TOS say now.

I went thru my statements for the last 6 months, combined billing with Directv & Internet, and I found no mention of it on any of them.

I went thru my statements for the last 6 months, combined billing with Directv & Internet, and I found no mention of it on any of them.
I rarely read all the junk companies stuff in the mailers, but I knew about it ...
If I knew about it, others do as well ....

I received it in a separate email (not statement) 11/29/18:

JASON,
Please read this if you receive DIRECTV, AT&T U-verse® TV, AT&T Internet, AT&T Phone, and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information.

Questions about this change? Go to att.com/ProrationPolicy for more information and to see the revised section of your service agreement(s).

I received it in a separate email (not statement) 11/29/18:

JASON,
Please read this if you receive DIRECTV, AT&T U-verse® TV, AT&T Internet, AT&T Phone, and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information.

Questions about this change? Go to att.com/ProrationPolicy for more information and to see the revised section of your service agreement(s).
I may have seen it that way as well .... it has also been talked about here.

Just looked back at my emails from AT&T, in all of my emails, never saw one about this. Never saw it discussed here, but with packing, etc for the move, I haven;t been on here very much. Both the supervisor I spoke with and the lady at the Presidents office I spoke with did say they have had numerous complaints about this. Had I known,it would have been easy to cancel Directv on the 1st, I was already on free previews of Sling & You Tube for a month.
But, as screwed up as I think this policy is, I'm more bothered by the lack of caring. I l was a happy Directv customer for many years,but these nickel & dime charges drove me away. They're just not worth it anymore.

I can only speculate but they did this to slow down cancellations.

I have been in this business for over 20 years and there are many many customers who insist they don’t want to switch till the end of their bill cycle to avoid having to pay for 2 services at the same time.

For many years we have told customers it doesn’t matter as they will pro-rate the final bill and issue a refund if money owed.

This is clearly a dick move on behalf of AT&T to screw with people. Many customers will call to cancel, be 1/3 into the billing cycle and be told they are paying for another month.

So customer calls the new provider, either cancels the appointment and puts the install date off.

Now in this scenario, AT&T knows the exact date the customer is leaving and with 2/3 of the billing cycle to go, they have another 21 days to win the customer back, rather than try to save the customer after they got something else installed.

As far as the office of the president, of course they will give your money back. After all, it didn’t cost them anything to pro rate the bill.

But you wait and see. I’m surprised Dish didn’t think of this first.

When we got shuck of SXM, even they stopped the billing and let the service run out to the end of the paid service period.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

So can you call DTV and tell them, hey I'm going to cancel at the end of my billing cycle. So shut off my service on April 21.

I cancelled Directv about 2 days before the billing cycle ended. I also dropped auto-pay prior to doing this. I got a bill once that shows a balance of $-8.43 cents. I ended up getting a cash card from Directv about 2 months later. I spent it all at Hardees.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)