My Dish 1000 upgrade took 4.5 hours!

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Well...I have heard everyones horror stories about bad installs. Here is mine. All is well now.

I had my upgrade for a Dish 1000 and a VIP 622 today. Last night from 6pm until 11pm I totally rewired my house/3 tv's. with OTA and Dish cable runs, color coded all cables, new splitters, diplexer, ground blocks etc. I labled all cables and connections inside at the tv, removed my 510 DVR, removed the old Dish 500, and had everything all ready for the tech, so all he would have to do is put the Dish 1000 on the mast, run a short cable to the diplexer, aim it, and then inside the house connect the 622 to the hook ups, which again, I had all labeled - even with the names of each connection according to the 622 manual, so all terms matched up , etc. So this should have been real easy, right?

So my wife feels me in that when he gets here, he is looking at all my dishes (fta) and is real confused. She filled him in, and gave him my instructions of what I did in prepartion. He then goes to the back of my house and was about to dismantle my Primestar that is aimed at IA5 and AMC4. My wife tells him, no, that is FTA and has nothing to do with Dish. He says, yah, but there are 2 lnbs on it. She repeats and they go back and forth for a few minutes.

So now, he is clear that the primestars are not Dish, and goes and mounts the Dish to the mounting post where the old Dish 500 was. He then comes inside and starts to hook up the 510 DVR that I had unhooked. He claims he has to hook it up so he can start aiming the dish. My wife suggests he get the new receiver for that. OK, so he starts to aim, he has 129 in at 105 on the meter. My wife is watching from inside. She has helped me install many a dishes and is familiar with it all. So she is watching from inside, it goes 105, 0 105,0 105, 0 then the tech is walking around the yard looking up in the air.

I get home about now, and meet him. He asks me about all the FTA stuff, and thinks it is cool. he asks if I would like to come work for them. Then he tells me, well I had some problems, but I moved the dish back about 8 feet and now I can get 129. I could not get 129 before. I say, hmmm, really? That Fortec dish (I point to it) the is right next to the Dish 500....That is aimed at 129. He gets confused....Anyway, I let him do his thing, and now the dish is mounted in the exact same area, there is no difference from where it was a few feet away. Whatever, if it works, great......I notice that he has 2 of the bolts in the mount into rotten wood. Very obvious. Oh well, i am not afraid to redo it sometime.

SO, he has now run 2 new lines (I wanted the existing ones used as they are buried already). So again, I will just redo it my way after he leaves. I don't like to interfere, or think I know more than he does, after all he does this for a living.

So we go inside. He can't get the 811 to download or do a switch check. He goes to his truck, I reset the 811, and it works. Back in the living room, he says I forgot to run a cable and he needs it. I said, well I ran all cables, all were marked and color coded. The tag fro the cable in question is laying on the floor, so I know it was there. I think maybe he pulled it through the flor... I pull my oak entertainment center out (about 6.5' tall, hugh and heavy, full of gear.....no cable...I am goign to get pissed soon...I then hear.."oh never mind, I already hooked it up".

SO, 4 and a half hours later he is done! He has 2 more installs to do, and it is 5 pm!

After he left, I went outside, cut his 2 new lines, ran port 1 to my diplexer for OTA/Dish feed, switched a few cables at the house back to how I had them setup, and I gained 15-20 points on all 3 satellites!

WHEW! Sorry for the long post!

Last edited:
Thanks for fixing the title :)

As for tipping, I had planned on doing that, but then I figured, I had made it so easy that that was my tip. Really, I would have thought about 30 minutes top! Even an hour...but 4 and a half? I fell sorry for his last 2 installs. he left us at 5 pm with 2 more to go!

But, it is looking good - the new 622 that is :)

gotta love guys like that... they sure keep the reputation of installers up where it should be :p
i'd woulda kicked him out of my house when he started dismantling my FTA stuff...

at least you got everything up and working and wired up the way you wanted it.
and i seriously doubt he did the other 2 jobs... doesnt exactly sound very professional

So my wife feels me in that when he gets here, he is looking at all my dishes (fta) and is real confused. She filled him in, and gave him my instructions of what I did in prepartion. He then goes to the back of my house and was about to dismantle my Primestar that is aimed at IA5 and AMC4. My wife tells him, no, that is FTA and has nothing to do with Dish. He says, yah, but there are 2 lnbs on it. She repeats and they go back and forth for a few minutes.
I would have thrown him out right then and there....especially when you had everything set to go.

"I would have thrown him out right then and there....especially when you had everything set to go."

No kidding, after all the work you already had done for him and it still took him 4 hrs. Geesh!

Sounds exactly the same problem I had when I had my install done. I had ran all new wires myself, and then the tech said that my wire was not good quality wire.

I said look, just write down on your work order that you ran all new wires and I will vouch for it, your not gonna replace my brand new quad shield RG6 with what you have. 3 hours later to hang and align the dish, Ugh!

I can beat that one, installer is drilling holes into the side of my house and trips a breaker, hands me HIS drill and says "you do it!" After he had already started 3 other holes for that cable in my siding--drilled 4 holes for 2 different cables.

I WILL never allow a "Professional" installer into my house AGAIN! That was my one and only "Professional" install, I ended up fixing everything, doing most of the work, etc. when the installer was there! Never again.

This is as bad if not worse

My sister had her DISH installed and after rain it would just lose the locals or after a storm
So the tech came and saw the concrete was not worth a hoot as you could push the dish around
So they redid that and seemed fixed
Next rain it messed up again so another guy came and finds that the 'first' installer also used slices into their OLD 12 foot dish
He didn't run new cable from the DISH to the house but ran it to the 15 YEAR OLD cable that was a few feet away by the antique dish

I could be wrong but I think it's not even the right type of cable
So he uses those bullet things to connect two cables right and here is the kicker
He buried it.......no silicon, no shrink wrap, Nothing. He just took a splice and put in in the dirt so when it rained it was shorting out in the least

that guy should be fired

ok ...it happens somtime we all have bad days and it sound like he was just having on . i think its safe to say we have all a had a d and d before

I agree, BUT....... this was the same tech that upgraded us 2 years ago (swapped out) a 301 to a 510 - simple unit swap, no nothing else....took him a hair over an hour!

I agree, BUT....... this was the same tech that upgraded us 2 years ago (swapped out) a 301 to a 510 - simple unit swap, no nothing else....took him a hair over an hour!

You would think he would have more experiance after 2 years.

Yes, you would :) He was very nice, and did do a very neat job. Although, I did redo some connections and added a combiner in and increased my signal strength. I installed a Dish 1000 for my father inlaw, in a lot less time (first time for a 1000 install for me). Beginners luck I guess :)

I have another Dish install horror story. About a year ago I wanted a 61.5 dish installed so that I could get the Voom channels. That's all they were going to do. He got here around noon and started to mount the dish on my roof. He never even thought about pointing it. He aimed it the same way my Dish 500 was installed. Anyway, he was here for 9 hours and never could get the dish pointed at 61.5. He was on the phone with his boss many times. Finally at 9:00 at night I threw him out of my house. I can't believe I waited that long. My neighbor watched in amazement the whole time because the installer was due to go to his house next and hook up another receiver. I said you are better off getting someone else. This installer and his company were totally incompetent. I told Dish I will never allow them in my house again. The installer had no concept of pointing the dish first. He thought you just mount it anywhere and then it's all done through the receiver. Unbelievable!

Two weeks later someone from Dish came to redo the install. He quickly realized that with the dish on the roof and the angle, it would never be able to get 61.5. I suggested he swap the cables so that my 110/119 dish is now the 61.5 dish and vice versa since they could angle the other one better. He did, it worked great and he was gone in 15 minutes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)