My experience with Hopper with Sling upgrade

hvarma2008

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Johnston, IA
As I recently mentioned, I upgraded my VIP722k to the Hopper with Sling as DISH was willing to do a free upgrade as I was a customer in good standing. After the upgrade, the first Hopper had a failed hard drive within 2 weeks, and it turns out that was a re-furbished unit. I am a bit disappointed that for a new upgrade and a 24 month contract, DISH would send a refurbished unit. While that unit was in use, the sound was fantastic and picture quality was quite a step up from the old VIP722k. After the hard drive failure, DISH was nice enough to send a replacement unit, which of course is also a refurb unit. Now this one works, but the sound quality or picture quality are not the same quality as the original unit. Looks like DISH needs a better QA department and at least for new upgrades, they should send a new unit not a re-furb/used one. This is not what I expect for being a customer for 10+ years now.

I actually prefer refurbished models. They have already been tested and know what's going to fail typically. Might be an auto setting on your TV or AVR. When I upgraded from H2K to HWS my AVR automatically changed quite a few settings, including the DD, and I had to go back in and manually change it.

Reactions: old corps
You need to realize DISH will send out refurbs even to new customers. Their business plan requires getting the most usage out of the receivers.

The only guarantee for a new unit is the purchase of a receiver. And that is only because Dish and DTV both lost a court case over that.

Guys, I checked all settings, they are where they should be. The differences are more subtle than the result of a incorrect setting. I know it sounds subjective, but I wanted to share my experience.

No sense in getting upset about refurbished units. It really doesn't make any difference whether it's new or used. It's all in your head that something used and refurbished is an inferior product. I can understand that someone would not want a refurbished unit when actually purchasing but when leasing it shouldn't make a difference.

Reactions: KAB
No sense in getting upset about refurbished units. It really doesn't make any difference whether it's new or used. It's all in your head that something used and refurbished is an inferior product. I can understand that someone would not want a refurbished unit when actually purchasing but when leasing it shouldn't make a difference.

maybe it doesn't to you.......but it does to me.........it's like paying full price for a display or demo
when paying new price, I expect a new item

maybe it doesn't to you.......but it does to me.........it's like paying full price for a display or demo
If leasing, you are not paying full price. You are paying full price if you purchase the unit. Which gets you a new unit.

Reactions: KAB

That doesn't make any sense. You're not paying full price for it. In fact you're not even paying anything for it. If you want to buy one then you can make sure you get a new one.

That doesn't make any sense. You're not paying full price for it. In fact you're not even paying anything for it. If you want to buy one then you can make sure you get a new one.
They give you a new one when its purchased through dish. No if's, and's, or but's about it. All purchased receivers will be new, unless otherwise stated(I'm guessing maybe the mpeg2 equipment was what was referenced in the training).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts