My first 522 crash!

kbohip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Colorado Springs
It's been over two weeks and my 522 just crashed for the first time tonight! One reboot and program guide download later and it's all fine again. I was lucky as all the timers are still there as well as my recorded shows.

I think I will just start rebooting it once a week like I did with my old Windows 98 computers. How did Dish find a way to make Linux unstable? ;)

What happens with my 522 is it will stop responding and then starts running Disk Diagnostics. It takes about 5 mins and then does the acquire Sat routine and everything is good to go.
When Its running Disk Diagnostics there is a option to cancel and I have instructed everyone in the house to always allow it to complete and never cancel.

Im really afarid a cancel during Diags would really mess up the harddrive and cause my recordings to be lost.

Mine wasn't doing anything. It just completely froze up while watching live tv. The picture was as if it was paused, but without any screen info. Pushing buttons on the remote didn't do anything. It wasn't until I rebooted and it did the switch test and EPG download that it was back to normal again.

522s aren't perfect receivers. We own one, it's crashed 3 or 4 times in the 6-7 months we've had it. The "Disk Diagnostics" thingy is triggered when it thinks there's a hard drive problem. I think that moisture in the air is the problem with ours, it always does that right after someone's had a long bath or a shower. I think the combination of heat and moisture is not appreciated by the 522's delicate internals.

ClarusWorks said:
I think that moisture in the air is the problem with ours, it always does that right after someone's had a long bath or a shower. I think the combination of heat and moisture is not appreciated by the 522's delicate internals.

I'm sorry but I think you are wrong. I don't think disk diagnostics has anything to do with the disk or with the internals. This is software issue made by bad programmers. I just replied to the other thread about when searching brings up diagnostics screen. I showed him a way to search without going into the search screen and my way never brings up the diagnostics. It's all in the code.

I think the software is set to run disk diagnostics as a default whenever it freezes up. I've seen HDD diagnostics run when i was just browsing the guide and the video froze. Searching is just another instance when the 522 freezes.

maximum said:
I think the software is set to run disk diagnostics as a default whenever it freezes up. I've seen HDD diagnostics run when i was just browsing the guide and the video froze. Searching is just another instance when the 522 freezes.

I don't think mine has ever run fsck after a crash, but afaik mine's never crashed while recording or otherwise modifying the filesystem. Generally that's what causes the filesystem to be shut down dirty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)