My Folders Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Shanna

Original poster
Oct 11, 2015
Harrisburg PA
I just upgraded to the Hopper. I'm happy with it except for one thing. I have 3 folders - one for myself, one for my husband and one for my daughter. When I click on any of the folders, how do I get the shows to organize into one subfolder for each show? For example, in my daughter's folder, instead of having 20 bubble guppies, how I can I have one folder for bubble guppies that I can click on and then choose an episode from there? I had the old Dish DVR and this was automatic. It would be nice to not have to scroll through all her shows to get to the show she wants.

Yes, I feel your pain OP. The Custom Folders feature that won't also allow for Folders by Program is a pretty awful situation that can make the whole Custom Folders not worth the time and effort to create. I hope we see such a feature some time "soon." In the meantime, it is a pain.

So will recordings sort based on program without custom folders? Do you have to delete custom folders first for this to work? Also, is there a way to sort programs by season and episode? I just switched to Dish after being a long time DTV and TiVo customer and there is a bit of a learning curve with the Hopper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So will recordings sort based on program without custom folders? Do you have to delete custom folders first for this to work? Also, is there a way to sort programs by season and episode? I just switched to Dish after being a long time DTV and TiVo customer and there is a bit of a learning curve with the Hopper.

Yes, they should sort by show and also will have one icon per show then when you go into it there will be a list of the episodes. Not more icons. Not at my TV now, but in the DVR list I believe it is the green icon at the top for sorting. Just change it to something other than My Folders and you can see this. I think it Sort by Title.

No need to delete any My Folders created. You can leave them as is in case you ever want to sort that way again.

Thank you for the quick response! I tried your suggestion and that definitely works better.

Another question I have on the Hopper. I've been watching the Redzone channel most of the day and noticed that when I pause it for a few minutes it will start playing again on its own. I know the buffer is only so large but I don't think it's filling up as I don't have it paused that long and I'm able to pause again with no issues. Any ideas?

No, sorry. But does it only do this on the RedZone? Or any channel? If any then not sure what the issue is. If just RedZone then maybe something related to that channel. I do not have that package so cannot comment from experience.

But definitely not how pause should work in general. Maybe try a reboot of the Hopper if this happens again. To see if maybe the thing just needs a kick in the pants to reset everything. Had to that a number of times throughout the years I've had a DVR. Sometimes solves an issues, sometimes it's a true bug that Dish has to fix.

Another question I have on the Hopper. I've been watching the Redzone channel most of the day and noticed that when I pause it for a few minutes it will start playing again on its own. I know the buffer is only so large but I don't think it's filling up as I don't have it paused that long and I'm able to pause again with no issues. Any ideas?

Does this only happen on the Hopper or does it also happen on the Joeys? The reason I ask is because I've had this issue since I switched to Dish this past summer. It usually happens on the Super Joeys and Joeys more often than the Hopper. Sometimes, after pausing or skipping back, it'll jump to live TV a few seconds later. I've tried the reset but that doesn't fix the problem. I was hoping that the recent software releases would've resolved this issue but it persists. Maybe it'll go away when Carbon UI is released.

Reactions: Tron2012
I've only used the Hopper so far so I can't say how the Joeys are performing. I've definitely noticed some quirkiness with the Dish system. The recordings and playlists definitely take some getting used to. I guess I've been spoiled by TiVo and DirecTV systems over the years. I do like the Hopper but it is very different.

Another issue I'm having is that I'm not getting the show icons on any of my recordings. The icons are all the channel icon. Not a huge deal but as the hard drive fills up (which is happening much faster than I though it would) it will definitely become annoying.

I've only used the Hopper so far so I can't say how the Joeys are performing. I've definitely noticed some quirkiness with the Dish system. The recordings and playlists definitely take some getting used to. I guess I've been spoiled by TiVo and DirecTV systems over the years. I do like the Hopper but it is very different.

Another issue I'm having is that I'm not getting the show icons on any of my recordings. The icons are all the channel icon. Not a huge deal but as the hard drive fills up (which is happening much faster than I though it would) it will definitely become annoying.

That pause issue is the only problem I've had with my Hopper system. Everything else has worked perfect. Coming from DirecTV's HR34, the difference between it and the Hopper is night and day. The Hopper is simply faster, more reliable and has more features than the Genie. The experience is about to get better when Dish finally releases the long awaited Carbon UI sometime next month or in early January. The 4K Joey will be out in January. Either way we don't have that long of a wait now.

As far as the icons go, It can take up to 72 hours after the Hopper is installed for the icons to show up.

Reactions: Tron2012
Good to know on the icons. When I was with DTV I had a HR44 which was very comparable in speed to the Hopper if not even a tad bit faster. No comparison in the way of features or apps, however. Plus the Hopper is much smoother in how it operates. For instance, both have PIP but it always felt like the DTV receiver would crash anytime I used it.

Good to know on the icons. When I was with DTV I had a HR44 which was very comparable in speed to the Hopper if not even a tad bit faster. No comparison in the way of features or apps, however. Plus the Hopper is much smoother in how it operates. For instance, both have PIP but it always felt like the DTV receiver would crash anytime I used it.

What was really frustrating with DTV was how slow their C31 clients were. Compared to the Joeys there is no contest. The C31 clients were much slower at changing channels and surfing through the guide than that of the Joeys. That is where the Hopper system crushes the DTV Genie system. That is where the Hopper experience is consistent in all rooms and not just where the DVR is. For example, when tuning to ESPN, I'd press 206 sometimes it would take 10 seconds for the info banner to come up and the channel to finally change. Sometimes it would take 30 seconds or longer for the guide to even come. That is how slow it was at doing normal operations. This slowness would require a red button reset about every week to speed it back up. I've had none of those issues with Dish thankfully.

Yea, I've noticed that the Dish Whole Home experience is far superior. Out of curiosity, were you using wireless clients with DTV?

Yea, I've noticed that the Dish Whole Home experience is far superior. Out of curiosity, were you using wireless clients with DTV?

No, I was using the standard wired clients. I just think Dish is better at writing software for their boxes whereas DTV's engineers don't seem to know what they're doing a lot of the time. DTV, from what I understand, used to have other companies write the software for their receivers years ago. I heard, on the other site, that several years ago DTV began to write all of their software from "in-house" and no longer have others do it for them. This may be why DTV's software, for example, is notoriously buggy in their Genies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)