My H3 or a Bigger Problem?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

xfoneguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Duvall, WA
For the past couple of weeks, at all hours of the night and day, my TV screen has been going dark.... for up to 5 or 6 minutes, and then up pops my favorite (not) kangaroo and a reboot occurs... I'm just wondering if this is my problem alone or if it's a larger system/software problem? I tried the usual "unplug the power" for 15 minutes or so, tried with and without the power strip and battery backup, with and without my external hard drive ......

The 1am-every-third-night-restart doesn't look so bad by comparison. It doesn't happen every day, but some days it may occur 5 or 6 times.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks all.....

Ken

I'd say that's on your box. Definitely haven't heard that one before
That's what I'm afraid of - it was just last summer (I think - give or take a few months) that I had the H3 replaced for other issues...... sheesh!
There are times when I almost forget that there was ever a problem - it will go for days (maybe a week or more) without acting up, but then it will happen multiple times in one day... it's very inconsistent.

I would not rule out a problem with your TV or HDMI connection/cable.

I don't want to rule anything out, to be fair, but I'm not sure where to go with constant freeze-ups, then re-boots?
I don't understand (as though that's any big surprise LOL) how this could help, but just for the heck of it, I replaced the HDMI cable - I have a very simple setup: H3 to TV. I also changed HDMI ports. I use the same TV for DVD's and Hulu/Netflix without issues. But while watching regular old TV, the screen goes black and within 5 minutes or so, the Hopper reboots. This was happening with 503 and now with 504 (software versions).
I've been away from here for a while and still trying to figure out the new format for the website. I can't find a list of DIRT people anymore - has that all gone away?

Last edited:
Don't feel too bad. We started having the exact same problem you describe about three days ago on a brand new H3 box. It didn't happen on the previous HWS box that was there prior.

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on.

Don't feel too bad. We started having the exact same problem you describe about three days ago on a brand new H3 box. It didn't happen on the previous HWS box that was there prior.

Yikes!! I'm sorry to hear that you too are having difficulties. Unless this is some kind of software problem, it just sounds like "bad boxes"?

I THINK I've tried about everything possible as far as troubleshooting is concerned (but any suggestions would be greatly and gratefully appreciated):

. Replaced HDMI cable
. Switched HDMI ports
. Tried with and w/o power strip & UPS (backup power)
. Powered down H3 for 15-20 minutes
. Tried with and w/o external hard drive
. Problem has spanned U503 & U504 (software versions)

If there is anything else, I'd like to rule out any-and-all (other) possibilities before I begin the "teeth-pulling" experience of trying to get the box replaced. I like to think that because this box was replaced earlier this year (other un-related problems) that it could not also be defective, but I guess that isn't "real world"? Fortunately, we have Amazon, Hulu, DVD's, etc to fall back on.

Any further thoughts?

A Dish tech just suggested doing a "partial factory reset" - I've done that before for some sort of problem (I don't remember what it was right now) but as I recall, I didn't lose anything..... it seems like it's worth a shot before pushing for a replacement. Fingers and toes crossed!

Go for it!
It's been running for at least an hour now - I remember that the partial reset resolved some issue that I had back a year or more ago. (of course I can't remember what the problem was! LOL!)

I really hope this does the trick.

It's been running for at least an hour now - I remember that the partial reset resolved some issue that I had back a year or more ago. (of course I can't remember what the problem was! LOL!)

I really hope this does the trick.
The "Partial Reset" took from around 1130AM (PST) until just after 330PM .... the process seemed to be hanging and repeating itself - it would go thru the first 3 or 4 steps, and would get stuck on "downloading Joey and Hopper Software - searching for available software". I would look back in on it after awhile and it was back to the first step again. I finally tried unplugging power and it eventually completed.
Everything is back up and running (so far) - recordings, timers, favorite channels, etc are all intact. Now, the big question - will it start randomly rebooting soon? Will see........

Reactions: charlesrshell
The "Partial Reset" took from around 1130AM (PST) until just after 330PM .... the process seemed to be hanging and repeating itself - it would go thru the first 3 or 4 steps, and would get stuck on "downloading Joey and Hopper Software - searching for available software". I would look back in on it after awhile and it was back to the first step again. I finally tried unplugging power and it eventually completed.
Everything is back up and running (so far) - recordings, timers, favorite channels, etc are all intact. Now, the big question - will it start randomly rebooting soon? Will see........

If it does try connecting it via composite video with no hdmi connected. Maybe it a problem with the hdmi port itself.

If it does try connecting it via composite video with no hdmi connected. Maybe it a problem with the hdmi port itself.
I've tried the individual HDMI ports - are you thinking maybe the actual HDMI circuitry? I'll have to look to see if the TV even has composite jacks - it's a less-than-1-year-old Samsung. Will try anything at this point.
Since I last updated my post, the H3 has rebooted 4 or 5 times - often rebooting, and then again within 5 or 10 minutes.

I've tried the individual HDMI ports - are you thinking maybe the actual HDMI circuitry? I'll have to look to see if the TV even has composite jacks - it's a less-than-1-year-old Samsung. Will try anything at this point.
Since I last updated my post, the H3 has rebooted 4 or 5 times - often rebooting, and then again within 5 or 10 minutes.

The hdmi port on the hopper might be going bad. My first joey was like that. Even new TVs today should have a composite jack. It’s usually component and composite combined in one jack. The other way is to not have the hopper connected to the tv and listen for the fan turning on when it reboots.
Your best option though would be to call dish for a replacement. Just say it doesn’t turn on. Disconnect it from the satellite first of course so they can’t try connecting to it remotely.

The hdmi port on the hopper might be going bad. My first joey was like that. Even new TVs today should have a composite jack. It’s usually component and composite combined in one jack. The other way is to not have the hopper connected to the tv and listen for the fan turning on when it reboots.
Your best option though would be to call dish for a replacement. Just say it doesn’t turn on. Disconnect it from the satellite first of course so they can’t try connecting to it remotely.

It's literally rebooting several times an hour now. Other sources are all working without issue. DVD's work fine. My "Amazon Fire" is working fine (Hulu, Amazon Video, etc). Seems to just be the H3 box that's acting up. So thank you - at this point, I think I'll go with "Plan B" and request a replacement. I had really hoped it would not come to this, but .........

It's literally rebooting several times an hour now. Other sources are all working without issue. DVD's work fine. My "Amazon Fire" is working fine (Hulu, Amazon Video, etc). Seems to just be the H3 box that's acting up. So thank you - at this point, I think I'll go with "Plan B" and request a replacement. I had really hoped it would not come to this, but .........

Good plan. It does sound like a failing hard drive since it’s getting worse. Failing hard drives are inevitable with DVR’s. And it’s hard to predict because it varies based on how often you record and play recorded episodes.

Just a quick thought...if it's not too late (i.e. rebooting too often), it might be time to start thinking about copying any recordings you don't want to lose off to an EHD just in case the drive dies completely! ;)

Reactions: HipKat
I think trading in the box is a good idea. The must be some quality control issues with them.

I've determined the problem with my box. I can duplicate it every time. I believe I have a thermal issue. The box will run for several hours and then suddenly turn off. Immediate attempts at restarting and rebooting fail.

Once the box has cooled/sat for a few minutes, I jiggle the power cord where it connects to the box and the box turns on. It will then work for a while and then fail again. I wait, jiggle the power cord, and it comes back on. I've done it three times today.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)