My install experience...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mlb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Kettering, Ohio
Yesterday was the big day, here is my install experience and overall first impressions.

The guy called at about 11:50AM (scheduled install for 8-12), saying he was on his way but would be there a little after 12. No big deal, he got to my house at about 12:15PM.

We walked around, I showed him where I'd like the dish (he verified it would work, it did). Then I showed him where I wanted the different boxes. He wanted to reuse all of my current lines, but only 2 of them were going to work. In my home theater he could use 1 of 2 lines (the 2nd line is my antenna line), in my living room he could use 1 of 2 lines (needed the 2nd for future antenna), and he had to run a completely new line to a bedroom of mine. He was not happy that I would not let him reuse my antenna lines and let me know by saying he was not going to make any money on the install. I tried to work out a deal with him but he said "don't worry about it, it isn't your problem anyway."

So, that awkward conversation out of the way, he then went on about drilling 5 holes that took him about an hour... awfully slow if you ask me :). After about 2.5 hours he had the cabling done around the house, sitting on the ground as I told him I would bury it myself (I can only imagine if I asked him to mount the cable to the house how long it would have taken).

Over the next hour he built the satellite dish and mounted it, so at about 3:40 or so he began setting up the receivers (2 HD-DVRs, 2 SD receivers). Over the next hour he gets them online, he had to call in just 1 receiver as the other 3 all had phone lines near by.

Come 4:45PM, the guy completed the install and walked out the door.

The guy was a very nice person, albeit probably a little slow. I think I could have done this install myself in less than 3 hours, especially if I knew much about building the dish itself.

My first thoughts on the D* HD-DVRs (HR-21) vs E* HD-DVRs (622).

D*'s software is significantly slower. Changing channels is slower, going through the guide is slower.

D* should do what Dish has done and set up a range of HD channels all next to each other. It is easier to navigate through all the HD channels on E*.

The channel numbers seem more confusing than E*, but I may figure out how they are aligned as time passes.

The PQ seems better on most MPEG4 channels. The installer turned it to HistoryHD immediately after activating the receiver and I was impressed with the PQ immediately. Obviously ESPNHD and the other MPEG2 channels looked like crap, but that will be fixed tomorrow (or so I read on here).

All in all, my switch was made for programming, and I know that D* will have a lot more HD channels than E* in the near future. I'm also looking forward to my NFL ST package.

Just my $.02...

1st of all congratulations on getting your service up and running. about the slowness of the channels changes you'll get used to it. when you realize how much more you have with D you won't care about the slowness. you will notice that on some days the box will work faster that others. don't know why but that's how it is. when you call for the nfl sunday ticket try to get superfan for free or just get them to give you some type of credits. also sign up for that going green offer so you can get a $20 credit on your next bill

I got the sunday ticket as part of my deal to sign up, although last night was I wonder if I get superfan or not. I'll call them up and see what I can do. I still have to get my 2 AM21's as well.

I was looking online about ordering the AM21s and they didn't offer my 2, only 1 online. I hope I'm not limited to 1 for the house, I'll be pissed if I can get it on both my TVs since my locals are not HD on the satellite yet.

Thanks for the reminder about the going green thing, I'll do that.

for the guide .. you can turn off the "scrolling effect" that speeds up the guide a little bit ...
I was a little off-put by the change of channel slowness at first - however I guess after a few months I got used to it - as i do not notice it anymore.

make sure you setup the on-demand and have a play around with that if you can get a connection to your box.

Just made the switch a couple of weeks ago myself. I would have to agree with everything REY says as well. HR-21 a little slower than the 622 I had with E* but content well worth it. The only thing I miss on the DVR portion is the ability to setup a recurring timer for a show that isn't in the guide yet.

I don't see why you can't get 2 AM-21's. I would call and check. I only had to order 1 and had no trouble.

My $.02.

I called and got the 2 AM21s for free. The original CSR marked on my workorder that the installer should have it, he told me to get it from them. They said it was their mistake and are sending them for free! Great customer service, I must say.

I called and got the 2 AM21s for free. The original CSR marked on my workorder that the installer should have it, he told me to get it from them. They said it was their mistake and are sending them for free! Great customer service, I must say.

YES that is another thing they have over E. customer service is really good with D. mlb to help your channel switching go ahead and turn off native mode. use only 1080i. this will help. i've used native mode and i really don't see an improvement with pic.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)