My install

radiator65

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Mississippi
Tech shows up and has already installed 1 Hopper and says job should be a piece of cake. He goes to his truck and realizes he has no Duo nodes. He had to call around and finally found 1 45minutes away. While we are waiting I ask him about the HIC and the general flow of how the install will go. He says that he has a HIC but a sling link will do the same. I asked him again about the HIC he didn't really like it but he said he would install it. So now we have about 30 more minutes of wait time til a Duo Node arrives.

Should I have let him install the sling link instead of the HIC or was I right?

Sling Link will NOT do the same..

The reason DISH did not have Homeplug built into the Hopper like they did with the ViP receivers was they found out Homeplug does not work (well)

The only proper setup in your case would be with a HIC.

Scherrman said:
He does know that the Hopper does not have sling link capability right?

That's what I told him but he didn't seem to understand why it wouldn't work. He said, "we'll the hopper has 2 Ethernet cables."

Scherrman said:
Doesn't sound too terrible. How was the experience?

Pretty good. They all gave me their cell phone numbers incase I need them. I will say with some work by the manager to Dish activation I got the exact setup I wanted!

I asked for the HIC with my install but the installer ended up putting a USB wi-fi connector on that I got with my Sling adapter, which I hate because I can't get a signal strength above 40. Dish is supposed to be shipping me one to my house now so hopefully I can connect it on my own without problems.

We were told you can use Sling links to install but you have to put one on each end. In that case it acts like any other 'power line ethernet converter' from any brand. Supposedly if a HIC can't be installed this in a good choice because it's better than wifi.

Anyone know if you can split the coax line for a HIC and a cable modem??? If someone has cable internet and there's no way to run a second line to the room containing the modem/router/gateway HIC will not be an option.

My install was Tuesday. Everything was fine until Thursday afternoon. When we came in from work the Joey in my sons room showed no Broadband connection and it would show the DVR programs, but it would not show live tv and if you tried to select a DVR program it would freeze up and self restart. Called my installer and he came back yesterday. Of course because the tech was here the Joey worked fine. As the tech was backing out of the driveway I went in to whole home and tried to link to the other Hopper. Then it started resetting itself again. After it reset a few times it finally showed a live picture when linked to the Living Room Hopper but when I tried to link it to the Bedroom Hopper it lost live picture. Again it showed me the DVR programs but it only showed a black picture when I selected one them it went back in reset hell. I did notice that the broadband would not connect and in the spot where it usually will show live tv it had a red circle with a line through it. This morning the Joey would again show tv when linked to the Living room Hopper but when I tried to link the Joey to the bedroom hopper it did the same thing again. . The Hoppers work fine except the DNLA.

Experimenting while waiting on the tech, the Joey will link to the Living Room Hopper after it self resets but if I try to link to the bedroom Hopper it will not work. Ideas or suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)