My new D* R10

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
Got my new R10 system installed on Friday. This is my first experience with a DVR and is also my first experience with D*. I switched over from E*. Here's my thoughts on it so far. I aboslutely love this service! I know I've heard a lot of complaints about the program guide being slow and mine really isn't slow at all. At the most it will take a second to bring up and that's it. And it's usually faster than that. I really love the layout and the design of the menus and program guides. The menus for me are not blurry and nor is the tv picture. Everything is great. Now I do have a couple of questions though. First, should I be leaving this on all the time or putting it on standby every night? What do you guys think? Also, I have the R10 run through an Onkyo stereo receiver and I've got the remote set so that it will control the volume properly, but is there any way to turn the receiver on and off with the DirecTV remote?

Good to hear your enjoying your new DVR. The menus will slow down as you add season passes.

Placing it on standby does absolutely nothing but turn off the video outputs. It does not spin down the hard drive or conserve power. I leave mine on 24/7.

I do not believe there is a way for the remote to turn off your stereo receiver. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

Welcome to D*

Alright sounds good. I had kinda noticed that the menus slowed down a little bit now that I have like 5 season passes. Still not very bad though! Besides for everything that you gain with the Tivo I can put up with a little slower menu.

I dont think it can turn off the stereo receiver... however.. for my application i just put the DVR in standby and that kills the sound i just leave the receiver on.

I'm loving my new system too. Got mine on saturday. I also notice how slow it is in the guide. It was slow before I added season passes. I wonder why seaons passes slow it down.

Glad to hear you're liking your system.

You can set up a TiVo remote to turn on both your TV and a Stereo Receiver at the same time. I do this with my Samsung TV and my JVC receiver.

I'm pretty sure it says how to do it in the manual, but I don't recall off the top of my head.

I too was able to do it for my Mits. TV and Sony receiver.The instructions are in the manual. I have the black peanut remote. I can turn the TV and Receiver on and off and control the volume of the receiver. It also turns on/off both the TV and the Receiver at the same time by pushing the power button on the remote. Funny thing is the Mute does not work.

Unlike DISH TiVo downloads 2 weeks of programming guide info so it takes a little longer to sort through that information for season passes.

The guide and menus get slower due to many factors ... I think the 6.2 update will have a better "indexing" routine built in to help with menu speed. Also the more season passes you have, it take longer because it has to cross check for recording conflicts. As you would guess this is much easier to look at for 3 programs versus 30 programs. Just thought I'd toss that in since no one has explained it in that light yet.

If you want to control all 3 of those components just go into your TiVo menu, it is under the setup options, then into remote control setup and this is where you are able to select TV, TV & AMP and there is one other choice. Poke around, you would be hard pressed to break anything.

Welcome aboard! Enjoy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)