My Opinion/Advice re: 211 EHDs

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Since yesterday's announcement about EHD support for 211s will undoubtedly raise questions about what EHD one should get, I want to offer my OPINION about the best way to go. The primary condiseration here is that unlike EHD's for 622/722 which some use occasionally, people will naturally want to keep drives for the 211 on 24/7. Therefore, my thoughts:

1. Do not buy an off-the shelf, plastic case drive. IMO, these drives were not designed to be anything more that occasional data back-up devices. Plus, plastic cases will cause more heat build-up than aluminum and limit life span.

2. Purchase an internal drive that has been specified for use in DVR's. The two that have been reported reliable are the WD AAKS series and the Seagate DB 35 series.

3. Purchase a good quality aluminum external enclosure.

As of now, purchasing internal drives and enclosures is about the same or less money than the off-the-shelf. I can already hear some saying, "I'm not tech savvy enough to put one together." Well, I'll bet you know someone who is.

FWIW, below is the drive and enclosure I own two each of and have never had problems with on my 722s:

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817193026

Again, this is my opinion, but I feel strongly enough about it to pass along.

Last edited:
I've used a regular off the shelf Seagate and a WD Mybook connected to my 622 and 722 from the day that it was offered with no issues at all.

KAB,

Since you have looked into this perhaps you have some data on the power use of some of the better suited drives and efficiency of power supplies in the enclosures.

My 211/EHD combo is for desert, battery, solar panel use so every watt is precious.

KAB,

Since you have looked into this perhaps you have some data on the power use of some of the better suited drives and efficiency of power supplies in the enclosures.

My 211/EHD combo is for desert, battery, solar panel use so every watt is precious.

Well, I haven't looked THAT far;).

Well, I haven't looked THAT far;).
Too bad. Know what it's like to see clouds on the horizon and start figuring how much earlier in the evening you'll have to power down the satellite?

And the misses doesn't buy my claim that hamburgers and beans taste better when lit by candlelight instead of awful LED lights And bringing up a "romantic dinner " would have her ROTFLHAO;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)