My PVR/HD Dilema

ocaddict

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Atlanta
Hey guys. Hoping some of you Satty gurus here can help a brotha out. I currently have Dishnetwork with the DISH 811 HD receiver. I would love to get in on some DVR/PVR action but I simply cannot afford the 921. Is it feasible for me to pickup a nice 508 or compatibile PVR unit and run to a seperate input on my TV, giving me the option of recording shows as well as watching the occassional HD goodness on the 811? Is anyone else doing this or considering it? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I have a 6000 hooked up through component connection and my 721 through s-video on the same tv. Works great for me. I also feed my other tvs with the 721 in my house.

Very cool. I figured it was feesible to do, just wondering if anyone else was doing it also. Can you feed the 721 to other tv's due to it's dual tuner capability, or did you just install a splitter or something?
Also, is it a pain in the ass switching between receivers on the same TV, or worth it due to the added capability of DVR?

ocaddict said:
Can you feed the 721 to other tv's due to it's dual tuner capability, or did you just install a splitter or something?
Also, is it a pain in the ass switching between receivers on the same TV, or worth it due to the added capability of DVR?

On the 721, no you have to watch the same channel on all the tvs. I have my electronics in a storage room off my family room. I feed the video from my 721 through my a/v receiver to my family room tv and use the rf out to a splitter that feeds my bedrooms and master bath. It works fine since it is only my wife and I.

I don't think it's a pain to switch between them. We usually use the 721 for SD and the 6000 for HD. My a/v receiver only has 1 digital input so I have the 6000 using the digital input and use rca input for my 721. To change from one to the other, I only I to change the tv input on the tv and hit the digital/analog button on my receiver remote.

nuts4scuba said:
I have a 6000 hooked up through component connection and my 721 through s-video on the same tv. Works great for me. I also feed my other tvs with the 721 in my house.

I also do this...a 6000u via component and a 508 via S-Video works just fine w/ exception of not being able to record HD.

Damn, I'm loving you guys and this most excellent forum. Glad google sent me here yesterday. Anywho, do you guys have your remotes programed to work with both receivers or are you using 1 remote for each receiver? I enjoy having as few components and remotes as possible.

ocaddict said:
Damn, I'm loving you guys and this most excellent forum. Glad google sent me here yesterday. Anywho, do you guys have your remotes programed to work with both receivers or are you using 1 remote for each receiver? I enjoy having as few components and remotes as possible.
It seems to me I read in the manual you can change the UHF remote frequency to control different units, however I am at work right now and therefore don't have the manual with me. Can anyone verify this?

nuts4scuba said:
I use both of the remotes.

I figured I would have to go that route. Still, a small price to pay to enjoy both PVR AND HD at a budget price. 508's are going for around 260$ refurbed on ebay. No DVR Service fees. Oh yeah! Also seeing brand new sealed 501's for much less, about 150$ or so and these also don't have any DVR fees from Dish Network. I simply refuse to use a VCR again. I've gone digital and can't go back. Nosir......can't do it. 8)

ocaddict,

I too have both a PVR508 (via S-video) and a 6000u receiver (via component and S-video) imputed into my Mits TV. I also have a universal remote (MX-700) controlling both receivers independently, along with my TV, VCR (Mits), Stereo/Amp (Yamaha), and DVD Player (Yamaha). I love my MX-700 remote, especially the ability to programmed via the computer. There is free software (MX Editor) that allows to program everything you need, make on-going adjustments, etc..., and download the configuration to the remote in a matter of seconds.

I am able to control the two Dish receivers independently by changing the "address" on one of them. My 508 is address 1 and my 6000u is address 2. I have my complete configuration uploaded to www.remotecentral.com, for review and downloading.

I like having both receivers hooked up to the TV, because it gives me the ability to record one thing (except HD) and watch another. This is a functionality that was missing from the single tuner 508.

I too live in Atlanta, so if you would like further information about my setup or remote, please send me a PM. I can give you a call.

Thanks Nolz. You got me interested in the MX-700 (makes me think of the logitech mouse of the same name :). I'm pretty sure I'm also hooked on the idea of now having 2 receivers. 1 for HD and 1 for DVR purposes. Did you install a splitter at the dish or do you have a triple/quad LNB ready dish? Just curioius. Thanks again for all the great info.

Dish changed out my LNB with a Quad (I think) for free as part of the install when I purchased the 6000 a few months ago. I got the $149 deal.

I really do like the MX-700 over the MX-500, because of the software. You can download it for free at http://www.hometheatermaster.com/. Then you can download my set up from www.remotecentral.com. This will enable you to look at how I have my system setup, and the macros I have programmed. The version on remotecentral is not my latest version, but pretty close. I have added a few features/macros since then.

You can get a new MX-700 on ebay for around $160 bucks. This is about the same as the MX-500/ with IRClone (the MX-500 software). IRClone is not as powerful as MX editor.

Also, the MX-700 has more LCD pages, and the ability to place macros on any button. I think the MX-500 only has three buttons, plus the LCD that macros can go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)