My quest to get DLNA working on the Hopper...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
mines not working at all, DLNA seems to be like the pricing, no consistence at all, LOL. maybe an update will help. It should just work with windows 7 with out playon. Mine doesn't work with that either though

So, when the bugs are worked out, anything that is on my pc hard drive that I am now able to play on a WD TV box should play through Hopper or Joey? This would be a big plus for me, as I could remove wiring, boxes and a few extra steps. Anyone know for sure, or you'all just guessing?

Exactly. That is why I say that the Hopper is not DLNA-compliant, even if it works with a handful of DLNA devices.

Right, but the exact same setup works for some and not for others. I.E. The PlayOn server that Scott has working, does not work for several of us. I also get there are multiple other variables in play, so perhaps my router ( or others) isn't the right type, etc. I would just like to hear an official blurp saying, " Yep, PlayOn/PS3/Etc should be working, if not, you can try to get them going". At this point, I'm unsure whether it is worth the effort to try or if Scott's install is just a fluke and the majority of us won't be able to get it running no matter what steps we take.

Mine works but will only work for photos and music. The videos do not play and have question marks for icons. I need to mess with my Tversity settings. The hopper sees both the Tversity server and my Windows 7 WMP shares.

I spoke too soon - last night I was messing with the Home Media stuff and the Hopper froze - I did a restart from the red button on the front panel (after trying everything else I could think of) and now the Hopper sees none of my DLNA stuff. Nothing else changed. I will try a router restart tonight when I get home from work and see if that brings it back.

I am happy I found this thread because I was going crazy last night trying to get this working. I have been using Serviio successfully as my DLNA server, but upon not being able to see it on my network, I installed both PlayOn and TVersity on my server and neither were seen by either of the Hopper or the Joey.

I initiated a support chat with Dish Network and they told me that the Home Media function will not work unless I have a "Hopper Internet Controller". Here was the complete chat:

Mike Eckman: Using both PlayOn and Tversity which the documentation says is supported, I can access both with an Xbox 360 and my Windows laptop which are connected to the same network.
chat_agent.png
Bradley (ID: V6H): All right
chat_enduser_message.png
Mike Eckman: I have confirmed that the media server is running properly and it streams through my network to other DLNA devices, just not either the Hopper or Joey.
chat_enduser_message.png
Mike Eckman: I have confirmed that boht are connected to my network and have valid IP addresses.
chat_agent.png
Bradley (ID: V6H): I understand Mike
chat_agent.png
Bradley (ID: V6H): Unfortunately this feature will not work at launch unless a hopper Internet connector is installed. We hope to update it so that it will work with a directly connected system in the future however at this time the only option would be to go through a hic.
chat_enduser_message.png
Mike Eckman: Aaah ok.
chat_enduser_message.png
Mike Eckman: How can I get a HIC?
chat_agent.png
Bradley (ID: V6H): We sell them I believe, let me check
chat_enduser_message.png
Mike Eckman: My installer never told me this.
chat_enduser_message.png
Mike Eckman: When he was there, I specifically asked him about it.
chat_agent.png
Bradley (ID: V6H): The installer would not tell you this. Their job is to install the system with the least amount of components
chat_agent.png
Bradley (ID: V6H): To get TV service on
chat_agent.png
Bradley (ID: V6H): The hic is $25
chat_enduser_message.png
Mike Eckman: Where do I go to get one, and once I have it, does it plug inline to one of the Ethernet ports? Also, would I need one for both my Hopper and one for the Joey?
chat_agent.png
Bradley (ID: V6H): We can send it to you, but we do not have anywhere local that can provide them just yet. Just one total.
chat_agent.png
Bradley (ID: V6H): The device will come with instructions for self install
chat_agent.png
Bradley (ID: V6H): What is your shipping address?
chat_enduser_message.png
Mike Eckman: Im not sure I want to pay another $25 right now for something that should work out of the box.
chat_enduser_message.png
Mike Eckman: I can stream video fine to my Xbox 360, so I could just continue using that.
chat_agent.png
Bradley (ID: V6H): I understand
chat_agent.png
Bradley (ID: V6H): You do not have to pay for it if you do not want it
chat_enduser_message.png
Mike Eckman: I thought for the convenience of using the same DIsh Network remote without having to fire up the Xbox to stream movies.
chat_enduser_message.png
Mike Eckman: What if I want it but dont want to pay for it? Are there any strings you could pull to send me a test unit?
chat_enduser_message.png
Mike Eckman: I would be happy to provide feedback.
chat_agent.png
Bradley (ID: V6H): I understand your concern. Again at launch that feature will only work with an installed hic
chat_agent.png
Bradley (ID: V6H): Later on it will work with a direct connection
chat_enduser_message.png
Mike Eckman: I'll just wait then. Hopefully there are some system updates soon! ;)

The guy seemed pretty confident, but everything I've read about the HIC is that its used when you dont have direct access to a router from either the Hopper or the Joey. I told him earlier in the chat that I have a connection and both units have a valid IP address. Ive read that the Ethernet port is deactivated on the Joey, but its seeing my DNS entires successfully and it gets an IP, so at least the hardware is physically functioning.

If anyone has any other luck with this, please let me know!

interesting.

if that's the case I'll be pissed as I told my installer not to put this in as I have a direct connection available. If I would have known this, I would have had him put it in as he was going to put it in for free at the time of the free install

anyone have one of these and DLNA still not working?

interesting.

if that's the case I'll be pissed as I told my installer not to put this in as I have a direct connection available. If I would have known this, I would have had him put it in as he was going to put it in for free at the time of the free install

anyone have one of these and DLNA still not working?

Yeah, that would be good info to have. I have the Hopper dropped in direct to my router so the installer didn't bother with the HIC - though he had one with him. If it works, I may be tempted to drop the 25$.

Again, comes down to what really should work at this point.

Not working on my Hopper either. Using Serviio 0.6.2 on Mac OS X Server 10.7.2. Confirmed I could see my videos folder using a LG BD670 player with no problem. Also used Intel's Device Spy app (windows only) to make sure Serviio was broadcasting. I have a Netgear WNDR3800 with the latest production firmware. All connections are gigabit (server > netgear unmanaged gigabit switch > hopper, net gear switch > WNDR3800 router > comcast modem).

Definitely suspicious.

I am used to running early adopter or experimental hardware and software, so if this is the only thing that doesn't work, its not a huge deal for me. My movies and music are stored on a custom built WHS 2011 server with 2 x 8TB RAID5 arrays and in the living room, I have dedicated XBMC Home Theater PC which is the primary device I watch movies on. If that machine ever were to die, I have an Xbox 360 and a DNLA equipped Sony Bravia TV to stream to.

My primary goal for this was in the bedroom, where my only streaming capable device is a Seagate Free Agent Theater+. The FAT+ works OK, but the user interface is very clunky and slow. It does not display any information whatsoever about the movies other than the name. I had hoped that by using the Home Media feature of the Joey, I could stay within the same input on the TV and utilize the Dish interface to stream the movies.

I'll keep checking back as time goes on and hopefully this will just magically start working one day.

So, has it been confirmed that an HIC is required to access media files via DLNA from compatible devices?
Are the people who are having success with DLNA using a HIC in their setup?
Are people with an HIC not having success?
Are people without an HIC having success?

If it's needed, I will contact my installer, and have him come back with an HIC.

So, has it been confirmed that an HIC is required to access media files via DLNA from compatible devices?
Are the people who are having success with DLNA using a HIC in their setup?
Are people with an HIC not having success?
Are people without an HIC having success?

If it's needed, I will contact my installer, and have him come back with an HIC.

I can't get mine to work. I don't have a HIC. I remember it being hit and miss with the 922, mostly miss. It works fine with Google TV and PlayOn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)