My ramblings about this CEDIA Show

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Digital Dude

Home Theater Editor
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
SHADO
OK so last year was kindof a bust. Since 1080p has become dominant in displays things are not like the excitment a few years ago.

The overriding theme last year (2007) was thin bezels, zzzzzzzz.

This year there are already more interestings to write about than last year, and the convention hasn't even started yet!

I just want to show everyone the beginning of the speakercraft press conference. If this doesn't frighten you then I don't know what will! I'll go into more depth in another thread but check this video! Crap,the video's are at least 34 megs! Here's a picture of the dancers at the press conference.

Attachments

• 100_1343.JPG
    100_1343.JPG
    498.3 KB · Views: 586
Digtal. Can you find out some information on hdmi wireless by Gefen (or any company that will be producing this product). I am not sure if they are there this year but I was told they will have a product out within the next few weeks.

Thanks!!

Could you take a look at Mitsubishi for their new Laserview rear projection tv Models. They are due out within a month or two.

The Laservue models were hyped to be out 3Q according to MITS earlier this year. Now they are saying Nov. Could you get the scoop as to whether or not that these sets/technology will EVER be out?? :rolleyes:

September 05, 2008

Mitsubishi announces prices for its laser-based HDTV

Back in Spring, John Sciacca discussed Mitsubishi's new LaserVue HDTVs. Mitsubishi officially showed off its new screens a few months ago, but while it was happy to show off the TV's technical attributes, it was reticent to offer any specific pricing information. Finally, at CEDIA 2008, Mitsubishi has finally revealed the number to match the funky screen.

In case you've forgotten, the LaserVue is a laser-based HDTV. Instead of using LCDs or plasma, it uses an array of red, green, and blue lasers to project its image onto the screen. According to Mitsubishi, it delivers a color gamut over 200% NTSC standard, and consumes less than 200 watts (significantly less than LCD and plasma screens). The company even claims that it can run indefinitely, without the light source "burning out" or otherwise dimming (a problem faced by all LCD and plasma screens and projectors). Impressive claims, but I'll have to see some test results myself before I can believe it.

The 65" Mitsubishi LaserVue will retail for $6,999, putting it on equal ground with most 60-inch-or-larger flat panels, and significantly cheaper than upcoming high-end models like the $10,000 65" Pioneer Kuro. If Mitsubishi's claims about color hold up, we could be looking at a real contender in the big-screen market. The 65" LaserVie starts shipping at the end of September to Mitsubishi's Select Diamond retailers, and will see a wider release around the end of October. Mitsubishi has plans for a 73" LaserVue, but it hasn't announced pricing or a release date yet.

Dudes,
I spent about an hour with the 2 Mits divisions today. (Front PJ and RPTV/ Flat panel) and the Laser TV is as cool as Snow Miser from the show "Year without a Santa Claus"!

[youtube]8mw-1ehsuJM[/youtube]

Further ramblings, CEDIA is shrinking. There fewer exhibitors and way fewer attendees. Next year the Expo moves to "Hot-lanta" for 3 years. Hot and humid, bleech! The following 3 years will be in the hotter and more humid Dallas, bleech. The following 3 years is expensive Anaheim, oh goody gumdrops!

I digress, my fav oritething to do at CEDIA is to look for the little guy. You know the type, a person takes out a second mortgage on their house to rent a booth to try and sell something new or different. I found a few that really peaked my interest.

1.-ableplanet audio, established 2003,
ableplanet was a hearing aid company that developed a remarkable algorythem called "linx audio". They won 16 Internationsl CES awards and were in a booth outside the main hall towards the back of the show. I tried, back to back, a Bose $349 set of headphones and immediately switched to their flagship $299 model. Holy crap what a difference. It made the Bose seem like an $8 set of headphones from Biglots! They have models down to $99, watch for a review very soon!

2-Bols (Bolscd.com) Bols makes a product that will take 3 inputs, like a BD player, a DVR, and a DVD and stream them throught your house on a modulated frequency with easy setup and an aggressive price. Look for a review in the coming months.

3- HTdepot.com featuring Focupix projector mounts, screens, mounts, HDMI switchers and even a front projector the size of your hand. Look for reviews of 2-4 of their products in the coming months.

4- Park has their own (rebadged) line of LCDTV's and even a 42" touchscreen. That's not what caught my eye. They were demonstrating a real working 1080p over wireless system! It uses Wireless N with the ability to stream to 6 TV's up to 150' away! Here are a couple of teaser pics, look for a review in the next few months!

Tomorrow I'll continue to scour the floor for innovative products with support that isn't in the third world! (Here come the complaints!)

Attachments

• 100_1353.JPG
    100_1353.JPG
    299.4 KB · Views: 411
  • 100_1354.JPG
    100_1354.JPG
    332.8 KB · Views: 441
  • 100_1385.JPG
    100_1385.JPG
    611.5 KB · Views: 441
  • 100_1386.JPG
    100_1386.JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 435
  • 100_1389.JPG
    100_1389.JPG
    561.4 KB · Views: 428
  • 100_1391.JPG
    100_1391.JPG
    652.3 KB · Views: 419
Dudes,
I spent about an hour with the 2 Mits divisions today. (Front PJ and RPTV/ Flat panel) and the Laser TV is as cool as Snow Miser from the show "Year without a Santa Claus"!

[youtube]8mw-1ehsuJM[/youtube]

Did the Rear Projection Laservue look as good as a Kuro ? Were the blacks as dark as the
bezel ? Was PQ outstanding or just about the same as the competetion ?

Which RP TV would you rate best in show ?

I haven't them all but the Laserview is mindblowing true blacks. You know Pioneer is sourcing plasma panels from Panasonic since they are shuttering their plasma plant?

I seriously doubt anything can touch it. Todayis my last day so I'll reserve judgement but I can't imagine a better CR.

Further ramblings, CEDIA is shrinking. There fewer exhibitors and way fewer attendees. Next year the Expo moves to "Hot-lanta" for 3 years. Hot and humid, bleech! The following 3 years will be in the hotter and more humid Dallas, bleech. The following 3 years is expensive Anaheim, oh goody gumdrops!

Well, at least I might be able to get to it in 'Lanta.

I digress, my fav oritething to do at CEDIA is to look for the little guy. You know the type, a person takes out a second mortgage on their house to rent a booth to try and sell something new or different.

Know the type??! I was the type, and proved that sometimes gambles do not pay off. But they are still worth taking a chance. Here is a pic taken from one of our early shows. It did get more professional over time:

isa_show_05.JPG

I haven't them all but the Laserview is mindblowing true blacks. You know Pioneer is sourcing plasma panels from Panasonic since they are shuttering their plasma plant?

The 2009 (current) Pioneer plasmas are still made in their own factory. Next year Panasonic opens its new 10G plant and will make the panels for Pioneer to Pioneer specs. It is of course speculation as what it will end up doing to the Pioneer picture, but I bet they improve it with 10 lumen tech that will make Plasma as bright as LCD for fully lit rooms. They also claim they will have 0 lumen tech too for complete blacks. All this of course remains to be seen if they can do it.

2-Bols (Bolscd.com) Bols makes a product that will take 3 inputs, like a BD player, a DVR, and a DVD and stream them throught your house on a modulated frequency with easy setup and an aggressive price. Look for a review in the coming months.

I tried to find this company, but the bolscd.com does not resolve.

Also, did you see any HDMI over Coax systems. I know belkin and Gefen have been working on products to do this.

I seriously doubt anything can touch it. Todayis my last day so I'll reserve judgement but I can't imagine a better CR.

I was wondering if you could expand upon your thoughts on the LaserVue. I've been following the LaserVue thread over at AVS and it's mostly just press releases and speculation, etc. One person says that they saw it and their impression appeared to be the opposite of yours with regards to black levels. They were also complaining of either Silk Screen Effect or the Screen Door Effect.

So I'm curious if you can address any of those issues, from your perspective, based upon what you saw. I'm especially curious as to the black levels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)