My schedule is terrible

Just switched over the Daily Show and thought is was a repeat. Checked the EPG and since it's the second/"Encore" showing it did have the description that the first showing has, but the moderate generic description and that was enough to spark this memory. But first a question . . . "Do your timers that are grabbing all the episodes only happen with New "News" shows?" If so, I remembered the other problem I had with the Daily Show, ABC Nightly "NEWS", NBC, Keith and Rachel, and that was with the word NEWS in the description. I was getting all the showings because the timer was reading the word new out of NEWS and it still happens. That is why I have a time specific timer for all of these. I have had this problem with all programming with the word NEWS in the description since they first introduced name based recording. This is something to be aware of.

It sounds like you are using the DISH PASS timer options with the word News in the information part. You need to not use DISH Pass and switch to a regular timer instead .

It sounds like you are using the DISH PASS timer options with the word News in the information part. You need to not use DISH Pass and switch to a regular timer instead .
No. I don't use DISH Pass, as I stated in the rather large reply above that you commented on. It has nothing to do with what kind of timer you use, but the fact that if you select "new" episodes, it looks for the word "NEW" in the description, which is often missing, and if is it present as the word NEWS the NEW part of NEWS works too and I was getting every episode there was recorded. I have discussed this with DISH since the first days of name based recording and obviously they haven't fixed it.

The main problem is that either the word NEW is not in the description as it should be or the word NEWS is and that fulfills the option.

Last edited:
Okay I am not experiencing this on any of my network shows I record. Not happening on Hbo , not happening on Lifetime , Fx, Syfy, etc. As I said before , just about any show on Comedy central I try to record is screwed up due to multiple things like the shows running late and over their time slot. Repeats sometimes get recorded on this channel too. This one channel needs extensive work on the guide information and the way they schedule their shows.

Okay I am not experiencing this on any of my network shows I record. Not happening on Hbo , not happening on Lifetime , Fx, Syfy, etc. As I said before , just about any show on Comedy central I try to record is screwed up due to multiple things like the shows running late and over their time slot. Repeats sometimes get recorded on this channel too. This one channel needs extensive work on the guide information and the way they schedule their shows.
Everybody will have problems due to these conditions. I do and have as I have stated I had to add 5 minutes to the Daily Show because Futurama running over and you can't start late. This has been a problem mostly with the big networks: ABC, CBS, NBC when they all started the 2-3 minute start early thing. I have discussed with DISH that due to this that they needed to take into consideration the way the world outside of DISH operates when they do UI's. They couldn't understand why. But other than the Networks the late start hasn't been much of an issue. Matter of fact, I have backed off to 1 minute early start where timers mesh better and have not had any "network" time issues.

I'm beginning to wonder if DISH may think that getting it too logical and working properly might open them to TiVo making more noises about them "infringing". Now that would make sense as to why this is not being addressed nor in a logical manner. Because when I had TiVo, years ago, their UI effectively dealt with these types of issues. Along with being able to shorten the end of recording so that a following timer can fire off early.

Oh, well.

...but the fact that if you select "new" episodes, it looks for the word "NEW" in the description, which is often missing, and if is it present as the word NEWS the NEW part of NEWS works too and I was getting every episode there was recorded. I have discussed this with DISH since the first days of name based recording and obviously they haven't fixed it.
Maybe it's just me, but I really doubt that the guide data that Dish receives from Tribune is simply a single field of text as you're suggesting.

In the case of "The Daily Show", I set a timer for it recently, set for "New" episodes only, and it worked as designed. There were a number of episodes with incorrect guide data, i.e. "Episode #: N/A" and "Year: 1999", that the DVR records simply because it knows that is bogus data and by design records them. I detailed this earlier in this thread (or maybe it's another one) recently.

Maybe it's just me, but I really doubt that the guide data that Dish receives from Tribune is simply a single field of text as you're suggesting.

In the case of "The Daily Show", I set a timer for it recently, set for "New" episodes only, and it worked as designed. There were a number of episodes with incorrect guide data, i.e. "Episode #: N/A" and "Year: 1999", that the DVR records simply because it knows that is bogus data and by design records them. I detailed this earlier in this thread (or maybe it's another one) recently.
Although it is. You are giving way too credit to those that do not deserve it. Just looking at the listings the word New is in the description. That is the problem. There is no "text frame" that is scanned for. It is the whole description. This I have had confirmed by DISH long ago. Changing my timer to "new" I am getting any episode that has the word news in (generic) descriptions also. Two Monday morning that do not have the word new, but news in the description. However, it is seeing duplicates. But not the generics, they are all included. Why?

Changing back to the Mon-Fri, had to erase and create a new one, I get the timer I need without the episodes that have new in the generic descriptions. And as inaccurate and feeble as "Tribune/Zap2It" is, this has always been a problem with all the news programs. Or it can be a McGyver that has a description that talks about him rescuing a "Newscaster" from certain death. New is in Newscaster, Newscopter, Newsletter, New York, New Jersey, New Software Please!

I have a timer set to record NEW episodes of The Daily Show and I see nothing being recorded in error. It is set to record (6) episodes and is skipping (16).

At 9am and 1:30pm, Sept 28, it's going to record episodes that I will bet aren't really "new". Why is it recording them ? Because the episode # is listed as "N/A" and the year is "1999". When the episode # is unknown, the DVR records the episode by design.

At 11pm on the 28th, it's set to record an episode. It is episode # 1467, date 9/28/09. Sounds right....

At 1:30am, 9am, 1:30pm, and 7pm, on the 29th, it is skipping all (4) episodes. Why ? Because they're episode # 1467.

At 11pm on the 29th, it's set to record episode # 1468, date 9/29/09.

This cycle repeats for the next few days.

What is wrong ?

I have a timer set to record NEW episodes of The Daily Show and I see nothing being recorded in error. It is set to record (6) episodes and is skipping (16).

At 9am and 1:30pm, Sept 28, it's going to record episodes that I will bet aren't really "new". Why is it recording them ? Because the episode # is listed as "N/A" and the year is "1999". When the episode # is unknown, the DVR records the episode by design.

At 11pm on the 28th, it's set to record an episode. It is episode # 1467, date 9/28/09. Sounds right....

At 1:30am, 9am, 1:30pm, and 7pm, on the 29th, it is skipping all (4) episodes. Why ? Because they're episode # 1467.

At 11pm on the 29th, it's set to record episode # 1468, date 9/29/09.

This cycle repeats for the next few days.

What is wrong ?
I repeat. Does it have the word NEWS in the description? If so . . . that is the problem. This has been acknowledged by DISH as the problem. But since you all know better. Have at it.

My guide data will be the same as yours. You said to set a timer for The Daily Show.

And yes, it does have the word "news" in the description.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts