My schedule is terrible

TheFid2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Bowling Green, Ohio
My timers keep grabbing episodes that aren't new of Royal Pains and Burn Notice and stuff.

Also, If I set it up to record new episodes of something like The Daily Show, it sets up recordings for every time it's on throughout the day.

And show is supposed to run over its time for a few minutes, like Mad Men, sometimes it compensates and sometimes it doesn't.

I don't have it hooked up to my router because doing so would be a pain in the ass, but would having this constant connection fix these issues?

Having an internet connection will do absolutely nothing for this. As for the recordings of non-new episodes, blame the guide data for that. Is it missing the episode number or is the original air date (obviously) wrong ? If so, Dish plays it safe and records them. Better to have them and not need them vs not have them at all, yes ?

By default, it always adds (3) minutes to the end of the program unless a) you change that or b) you have another recording scheduled that starts at the same time the previous recording ends.

Yes, Dish did admit on a Tech Forum, last year, I think, that some people's DVR's were not recording New episodes as they were supposed to, so Dish changed the software to, in some instances, allow the recording of repeat broadcasts to ensure everyone got all the recordings they wanted erring on the side of an unwanted recording instead of missing a new episode, even when all the necessary data--first airing, etc.--is correct in indicating that it is a repeat or new episode.

However, this has been a MAJOR pain because the DVR will record repeats (when it is supposed to record only NEW episodes) on MTV, and MTV has something like 34 airings of that show in one week--both old and new. This has my Daily Schedule packed with WRONG, unwanted recordings that I MUST manually "Skip," a time consuming process when having to skip other channels repeat airings (the 722K chip allows for instant response upon "Skip" command, but not the 722 that takes a long time to respond to the "Skip" command) because if I don't, the HDD would fill up it won't record all subsequent recordings I do want. And yes, I have several external HDD's but resent that I have to get still another external for ten-of-hours of UNwanted HD recordings that can easily fit and be managed on the internal HDD if it weren't for Dish's stupid bug.

Meanwhile, certain channels such as History, function pretty well for New recordings only. This is something that seems to vary by channel more than anything else. This is something Dish really needs to fix. It has been like this far too long. But considering the importance of the forthcoming 922, I have no doubt all their attention is focused there and not on some of the existing problems with current DVR's.

Yeah, the downside to "playing it safe" by recording everything is that it will end up recording the same episode multiple times. Why ? Because it doesn't recognize that it's the "same" episode.

Yeah, I write and podcast about TV for a website, so I have a ton of timers set, plus I have two roommates who are needlessly inconvenienced when the tuners get tied up with repeats of The Daily Show and Rachel Maddow. And the problem is, for things like Maddow which is on weekdays at 9, there are some days where it's free to record then, and other where I already have two shows going, so it needs to record the 11pm repeat. So I end up having to set a separate timer for each day of the week.

Today, it randomly decided that there was a new episode of Sons of Anarchy (it was a repeat) that was 5 minutes long.

I had to delete my Burn Notice and Royal Pains timers because it was just going to keep recording the weekly repeats as new episodes. Guess I'll have to remember to make new ones next year.

This DVR is so much better in so many ways than the Time Warner one that I switched from, but it seems to be failing at some of its core functionality... recording shows without extreme micromanagement, which is something Time Warner never had a problem with.

When there are many, many repeats per week you have little choice but to set a specific weekly, daily or M-F timer for one time. Dish Pass just doesn't work for these case. Without clear info like episode number and date, All and New produce the same result for Dish Pass, i.e., all shows.

The default may have been 3 min before and after but once I changed mine to 1 min each way, I never see that default again. If there is a conflict with a short extra (say 2 min early or late) that time is truncated but with between 3 or 5 min or more, then the recording will conflict with or override the next show. That is, it will always record those longer extra minutes. Dish Pass may mess even that up and truncate the show to its nominal time without extension. (This last not fully tested.)
-Ken

It's not the perfect solution by any means but I have the same problem with Inside Michigan Football on FOXD. Each week the original date remains 8-28-09 so the timer grabs every airing. To limit I tell the timer to only allow one recording. I have to keep an eye so that I keep the new one that I really want but at least my hard drive isn't filling up in the process.

Yeah, this isn't even using DishPass. If I tell it to get The Daily Show, new episodes only, it records every airing: 11pm, 1am, 7am, 11am, 7pm, etc

Oh, didn't see that.

The air dates are wrong. For Maddow for instance, each episode is listed as airing "9-8-08" or something. It's always the same date like that.

But other times, it'll record something as a "new episode" even though it clearly lists the correct original air date. So for Burn Notice it's been recording the weekly repeats, but the air date clearly displays the episode's original airdate back in June.

So for Burn Notice it's been recording the weekly repeats, but the air date clearly displays the episode's original airdate back in June.
Hmmm. I have a "new" timer for Burn Notice. Not been recording the repeats.

Shortly after posting the above, I used DISH Remote Access Login to set a timer for "The Daily Show" and spec'd NEW episodes only. At home now, looking at my recordings, and it's already recorded (2) episodes, one at 1:30pm and the 7:00pm episode. Both of them have episode numbers of "N/A" and the year as "1999". Dish's DVRs consider those "bogus" and records them just to be safe. Looking at the scheduled events for this same show, up until 9/21, they all have valid episode numbers and dates. On 9/21, there are a bunch with "N/A" and "1999" values. This is a Tribune issue but only Dish can "report" it to them. Tribune won't listen to "us".

The only solution for this is to live with the repeats or setup manual timers. I had a similar situation and since I got tired of skipping/deleting, I went back and set up a manual timer for the show that was causing me problems (MTV).

I have had issues with the EPG and Timers for years and . . .

. . . have gone round and round with DISH. Tribune Media is also Zap2It the online gaming/entertainment provider that supplies the games and whatnot on DISHhome in addition to the EPG AND not TVGuide as the bug (logo) would/has led you to believe. I have spoken with TVGuide and they have no idea why their logo is on the EPG since they do not supply info for it. Even though DISH says they do. But do have a channel in the lineup. Free advertising?

For years I supplied volumes of proof from TVG, TitanTV and the stations themselves that proved that Tribune is the worst source for information. When and IF the information is "correct" things tend to work as well as they can. BUT it is wrong more than right. DISH would blame the stations for last minute line up changes that they could not physically keep up with. Each instance this was not the case. Just plain laziness on DISH's part. Especially when episodes are not marked NEW as they should be, which is a prime ingredient for name based recording. In the beginning before they made the timers a little more sophisticated I was missing everything AND called TS every time it happened. They got really tired of me. Since they have changed a tad, I have had to learn how to use the shortcomings of the EPG and the Timers to make it work. One really stupid thing is that the timers also don't take in consideration that if the program prior started early that is will most likely end early, and will not let you set a following program to start early enough without stepping on the previous one. Even though it won't, it acts as if it will. Have spent many hours "shaving" minutes to get things that should work that won't.

I watch some of the same shows you are and have timers set that work fine. Created through experimentation. I never use PASSes and do check them quite often out of habit.

My Daily Show (which was my prime example for the "New" tag errors) timers is:
DVR
Mon-Fri (which since there is no Friday show, skips it) for a specific time.
Early Start: 0
Late End: 5 minutes (since Futurama runs over and you can't start late)
Rachel:
DVR
Mon-Fri for a specific time.
Early Start: 0
Late End: 1 minute

I do have some timers with "new" set and for the most part, lately, they have worked. But I have come up with a lot of conflicts that are not. Some have been hours apart and still conflicted. There is no logic in this software.

You have to resign yourself to the fact that and as much as it p^sses my off when people write that DISH has the best interface, they don't. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here discussing this. It needs a lot of work (in look too, it is so juvenile/primeval). The thing that gets me the most is why is it so hard for them to see, even though I spelled it out for them many times, the logic in how we need things to work. DISH needs to admit that they are lazy and not as "forthright" as the they profess in providing us what they claim they are. AND FIX IT!

Rant done.

My timers keep grabbing episodes that aren't new of Royal Pains and Burn Notice and stuff.

Also, If I set it up to record new episodes of something like The Daily Show, it sets up recordings for every time it's on throughout the day.

And show is supposed to run over its time for a few minutes, like Mad Men, sometimes it compensates and sometimes it doesn't.

I don't have it hooked up to my router because doing so would be a pain in the ass, but would having this constant connection fix these issues?

IF you add 5 minutes to any timer it WILL record all 5minutes. Anything less is not guaranteed to record ,especially if you have another timer set to record right afer that one. The Daily Show I sat up as DAILY and it will record the first show and then not record any repeats of that show. As for Royal Pains & Burn Notice, if the timer is created after the season has ended , it will grab the repeats as new. I have timers for these two shows created when the season first started and they stopped recording after the season finales . If I were you I would also move the two timers to last on priority . The Comedy channel is notorious for having shows start and end at weird times and I can never get the timer to work for new right on this channel. The local networks work fine as do Hbo and other cable channels. I don't think having the internet hooked up makes any difference , but I do have my 722k hooked up to it. Couldn't hurt to do it and you can download FREE tv entertainment shows and or buy pay per view movies over the net.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts