my signature was edited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simulated

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Could the lovely mod that edited my signature, care to tell me how it broke the signature rules? Or rather why it was possibly inappropriate?

Thank you.

I bumped it exactly because of that other thread. This topic has sat, uncommented on, for 1-1/2 weeks but when someone else of, shall we say "higher status" posts about it, it gets much more attention.

Its the black helicopters. ;)

However if your signature is over 3 lines then the staff has the ok to remove it or edit it. (Not sure if yours fell in that category)

A lot of folks have signature over 3 lines, I do myself. The problem ones are the equipment lists which are 8 to 12 lines long listing each piece of equipment you own. THese signatures are normally longer them most users actual posts. :)

If you have equipment and you want to toot your horn about it please use our members home theater function found at the top of the page. There you can REALLY show off your stuff! :)

Last edited:
I'm noticing more and more .sigs that are rather long, certainly more than (3) lines. It wouldn't be so bad if people did things like this,

Dish Network ViP 622, Toshiba 57H83, Sony A/V, etc, etc.

Instead, it has to be

Dish Network ViP622
Pointed at 110, 119, 129
Toshiba 57H83
Sony A/V
etc
etc

Why anyone cares what satellites one is pointed at is beyond me but....

As you say, when your .sig is 2-3 times longer than your post, there's a "problem". Is the "rule" one that's not really needed anymore or enforced ?? I'm not volunteering to be the ".sig police" either. :D

This software has a feature where we can limit signatures but it has not been turned on yet. Just been too busy with other stuff (and putting out other fires) to turn it on. :)

And reduce the size of the font to 1...
dfergie, your .sig is done "right", IMO. Reducing the font size may not be completely necessary, but I think doing so says "my .sig isn't as important as my post". Reminds me of when we were told to start including the typical legalese bullsh*t in our e-mails at work. Someone had the bright idea to show everyone how to make their signature bold. In my opinion, that says the .sig is the more important part of the e-mail message and it shouldn't be ! Matter of fact, I made my signature to be in one-size smaller font than my message body and applied a light gray color instead of black. It's very "subtle", yet it's not going to be missed or overlooked. I've never had a complaint about it either.

This software has a feature where we can limit signatures but it has not been turned on yet.
I know I've mentioned it to you before about DSL Reports and how they handle .sigs. Now, the difference there is their software is custom-written by the owner of the site vs you being at the mercy of the vBulletin people. Anyway, .sigs are allowed "X" number of characters and what the # is, it's recorded. When you make a post in their forums, if your post contains fewer characters than your .sig, guess what ?? No .sig appears ! :)

Please tell me vBulletin has incorporated something similar. If you want, I'll turn this on for you too. Just give me the rights to do it ! :D

I never knew that ! :) I don't want to though .... some are useful. I don't want to have to disable them for ALL because of a few who don't follow the guidelines.

Can you give more details on the new feature in vBulletin ??

Here are all the options for signatures we can set (that haven't been set yet) this is without using other add ons or "hacks" :)

Attachments

• sigs.jpg
    sigs.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
How about this-

Suporters get 5 lines of sig. Non-supporters get just their name.

Can you differentiate this type of incentive? I think since the forum has this program to support by the members, there should be a continuous effort to demonstrate the advantages of membership.

I haven't taken the time to be creative on this, nor the avitar either but if it would mean showing to others "you should be a supportive member I will do it.

How about this-

Suporters get 5 lines of sig. Non-supporters get just their name.
Yes that can be done. :)

Of course people will call me a money grubing scum. :D

But hey I have almost paid off the new server. :) Next big bill is our ISP bill which I pay every 6 months.

Who knows might be a good idea!

How about a My stuff/ my agenda thread where everyone can put a link in there sig to My Stuff and post what they have in it...(or their agenda) that way all the equipment the user/member has is there and it doesn't take up space in every post...(could also add User dvd's etc to the post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts