My suggestion for DISH--Ultimate HDDVR Package

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jacmyoung

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I have speculated one of the main reasons Charlie is still negotiating HD agreement is he needs to add those new HD's in his $29.99 "HD-Only" pack and still make some profit. He can still do that now but if he adds most of the 25 HD's on his list his carriage fees will eat him alive if he could only charge $29.99.

So my suggestion is this "Ultimate HDDVR" package where you pay a flat $49.99 fee, or even $54.99, you get all the HD's you can possibly get with one DVR service and your local HD's included, except paid sports tiers.

If you don't care for or do not have your locals, or don't care for the DVR service, then only the $29.99 pack is for you but no new HD's, or if you want sports packs you must order one of the AT packs.

This way Charlie can afford to add all the new HD's, and still make a very appealing package for HD subs. The closest HD offer on DirecTV would cost $77.98 and it does not include VOOM.

I have speculated one of the main reasons Charlie is still negotiating HD agreement is he needs to add those new HD's in his $29.99 "HD-Only" pack and still make some profit. He can still do that now but if he adds most of the 25 HD's on his list his carriage fees will eat him alive if he could only charge $29.99.

So my suggestion is this "Ultimate HDDVR" package where you pay a flat $49.99 fee, or even $54.99, you get all the HD's you can possibly get with one DVR service and your local HD's included, except paid sports tiers.

If you don't care for or do not have your locals, or don't care for the DVR service, then only the $29.99 pack is for you but no new HD's, or if you want sports packs you must order one of the AT packs.

This way Charlie can afford to add all the new HD's, and still make a very appealing package for HD subs. The closest HD offer on DirecTV would cost $77.98 and it does not include VOOM.

Hopefully that price increase will never happen. First there are people with hd packages that dont have a dvr. 2nd i doubt most of the subscribers are going to pay an additional 20-25 MORE dollars per month for 15 -20 more hd channels that barely show hd programming. Even if he added 20 more hd channels, i doubt the most people would pay is an extra $5.00 per month. Dish is already discouraging some of their customers due to no additional natl hd for some time now. If they add hd channels, and raise the price 20 -25 more per month, i believe you will see a huge backlash.

Do they also add on SD locals for the standard $5/mo if you request them? Even in the markets where they do carry HD locals there are an awful lot of locals they DON'T carry. They should include them in the package for no extra charge if your market has no HD locals.

DISH has continually raised prices on everything from its programming to pay per views and even invented a whole new category of fees that no one else in the industry has . What makes anyone think that Charlie would add 25 hd channels to the stand alone pack and keep the price at $29.99 a month? Especially since DIRECTV is charging $72.99 for a similar programming pack with those same channels sans VOOM and the few hd extra pack channels. Remember this is Cheap Charlie we are talking about . Here is some of the extra fees:

$5.98 dvr fees PER RECEIVER.
$5.00 no phone connection fee.
additional receiver fees at :$7.00 for hd receivers /$6.00 for sd receivers.
HD enabeling fee of $7.00 to NOT have any hd with an hd receiver.
He even charges $40.00 for access to your own personal external hard drive.
Sd pay per views $4.99 , HD $5.99 for pay per views, $6.99 for hd movies that DISH recorded to your hard drive on your receiver.

The $29.99 stand alone hd pack was to tide HD subs over till DISH got its new sats up and more hd added. THis stand alone pack has existed once before a couple of years ago and was done away with last year and then brought back this year . I can see it being done away with again once they do add the 25 extra hd channels. AFter all they have the right to change programming and the packs they offer at ANY TIME.

Its a good idea because I like an HD only pack. If they needed to up the charge $5-$10 a month for some more HD, it'd be fine with me. They just need to work out the subpar PQ issues.

THE big sticking point for a lot of people (especially me) if the refusal to allow you local RSN in the HD Only package. I'd gladly pay a premium to add it, but it's not even an option.

Are you saying channels charge extra for their HD? They, the networks, need to get these channels up or get left behind. If it isn't in HD, I don't watch it anymore. This may be E*'s stance and should be all providers stance. They're going to be sorry about their greed when I can watch everything off the internet. Just ask the music industry!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)