"My Team" Feature Needs Fixin

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jborchel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
"MY Team" is a great feature that was added to the Genie last year. However, it has a major flaw in its logic. Many, if not all, teams that are subject to this feature are located on the sports channels between 600 and 700. Currently, after you have selected a Season Record of the team you have chosen the program logic looks for that team throughout the channel guide. The problem is that it takes the first one it finds. In the case of my particular teams they are always broadcast on the last set of channels available in the 600-700 range. The teams: SF Giants and SJ Sharks. The channels: 696 or 698. This means that about 98% of the time the visiting team's broadcast is recorded instead of my team's broadcast station. I don't want to watch the visiting team's broadcast, I want to watch mine.I know that this a simple search algorithm that first identifies my team, links it to the search routine, and then finds the channel that is tied/associated with my team. As simple as that. Hopefully, someone from Directv is reading this thread and can comment on it.

"MY Team" is a great feature that was added to the Genie last year. However, it has a major flaw in its logic. Many, if not all, teams that are subject to this feature are located on the sports channels between 600 and 700. Currently, after you have selected a Season Record of the team you have chosen the program logic looks for that team throughout the channel guide. The problem is that it takes the first one it finds. In the case of my particular teams they are always broadcast on the last set of channels available in the 600-700 range. The teams: SF Giants and SJ Sharks. The channels: 696 or 698. This means that about 98% of the time the visiting team's broadcast is recorded instead of my team's broadcast station. I don't want to watch the visiting team's broadcast, I want to watch mine.I know that this a simple search algorithm that first identifies my team, links it to the search routine, and then finds the channel that is tied/associated with my team. As simple as that. Hopefully, someone from Directv is reading this thread and can comment on it.
You could do it the way we've always done it instead, just go ahead and record the correct channel, seeing you know what channel it is.

For example, from what your saying, if I use that feature to see the Detroit Tigers (663) it might record whatever the away team channel is ... which I understand ... but seeing I KNOW thiere games are on 663, I just record 663, why, because I know where they are every day.
Why would I chance it on letting the Search find it ?

I know this has happened before in other events & games.

Btw, not all sports that it would record would be in the 6-700's.

NASCAR won't be in that area and it should find it as well, interestingly it didn't find tonight's race, but does see next weeks.

You can also use the Boolean Search method. It's a little tedious to set up, but it works great for me and will accomplish what you are looking to do. Do a keyword search for "AALL GIANTS EVENTS LIVE CCHANS 696" Sports, Baseball and then autorecord. Repeat this for all channels that your team may play on.

What they should have done is like the WC games, set up series recordings and gives you 2 options to record live games,

On all channels available or a specific channel.

But I'm pretty sure it works on all sports as well I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I wish there was a blackout filter on the Sports Search channel so that it would not display games that are blacked out. I think that might also fix a lot of the issues with team recordings.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The further west you live, the more useless the "my teams" feature is, because it is going to find the lowest numbered channel. A recognition of blackouts would fix this.

Other sports problems. MLBN listing will generally list on the guide as simply "MLB baseball" and then in the details list "Reds @ Giants or Tigers @ Astros" for example. Then the MLBN alt channel will simply list "alternative programming". In fact one game is on 213, and the other is on 213-1. The blackout serarch will not look for the blackout game, but for the phrase "MLB baseball" or "alternative programming" which it will not find. The actual games should be listed in the guide, which would make the function work. The same thing happens on ESPN relative to college football. ESPN goes regional, with a Big 10 game on 206 seen in non-Big 10 states, and another game on 206-1. But the listing on 206 will be "Michigan @ Illinois or Clemson @ Duke". If you live in a Big 10 state and the first game is on you local ABC, the blackout search will not find it, because it is looking for the whole phrase.

Another problem is that it includes the NY and LA "distant networks" in its game search, event though very few people get these anymore.

I thought with the new update they disabled that on the Genie?
Was at a friends house who has a HR34 and after the new upgrade (the one to fix the auto delete on programs) they have no my sports. The search is just the old style

My HR34 has the sports search (channel 1205) still - I would be mad if it went away. The flaws laid out a couple posts back are real and annoying, but I still like it. By the way, there is NO REASON AT ALL they can't list the games on the alternate national channels, too. It confuses people this way, a friend had no idea that if 213 is blacked out, 213-1 probably won't be.

I am looking now at the Tour de France listing for NBC. I see the listing for both NBC affiliates I get on D*, the 3rd that I get on the AM21, and both NBC east and NBC west (392, 393). The issues discussed here are bad for NBC for me because it finds WSLS 10 before WXII 12 - WSLS is not HD here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts