My thoughts on the perception of women reporters

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
I was checking out the cartoons of Denver cartoonist Drew Litton, and this one from 2003 caught my eye because it brought a flashback:

092003drew.gif

Now, keep in mind, at the time, ABC's football sideline reporter in 2003 (Monday Night Football and a Wild Card game) was Lisa Guerrero, who unlike most other female reporters we are familiar with (Michele Tafoya or Hannah Storm), doesn't have a long history of past announcing for other areas.

At the time, I remember thinking to myself, "I dont think she's a great reporter. This seems like eye-candy to draw more males."

Before that, I usually didn't pay much attention to sideline reporters at all.

From that point on, it became something intriguing to me: when it comes to female sports reporters, do they go for the steak or the sizzle?

For me, they seem go for the steak- those who are chosen to do what they do are chosen because they do what they do in the right way, with no flash, no other stuff, none of that get-all-the-attention-on-me stuff.

It's very interesting, for a lot of the female reporters I hear are more of the type who have good experience and are chosen because of how well they do their job, now how they look.

See Michele Tafoya. She's well-spoken (I listen to Tirico every weekday afternoon, and when she works with them, she does a very good job), gets her facts out right, and does the job the way she's supposed to.

(I like her a lot because she does a good job reporting, focuses on the athletes and not herself, and she makes a good partner on Tirico's radio show)

It's nice to know that female reporters in sports are chosen on how they contribute, if they're capable of doing their job and treated w/respect.

With that said, sex sells. Its a fact of life, especially in sports. There's a reason why Barbara Walters isn't a sideline reporter for the NFL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts