My TV takes up to 10 minutes to turn on ... what gives?

I believe he was saying warm up time was reduced from tube warm up periods to just the time it took to charge capacitors and such.

It wasn't due to capacitors at all though. It was the tubes being replaced by transistors and not having to wait for the filaments in the tubes to heat up anymore that got rid of the 'warm up'. The filament heat up time is what caused the 'warm up' period. He'd said the no warm up after solid state came out was due to capacitors, but it simply isn't so, it has nothing to do with capacitors.

Lastly, Samsung makes some of the highest quality and most reliable home electronic devices.
If you have replaced as many capacitors as I have on Samsung TV's and Samsung boards used in other TV's you would think different. Don't even get me started on their POS phones.
I would buy A Vizio before a Samsung any day.:biggrin

He'd said the no warm up after solid state came out was due to capacitors, but it simply isn't so, it has nothing to do with capacitors.
Thank You....

The problem with the Samsungs is that 10 volts capacitors were used when 25 volt caps were needed. The caps failed and it takes longer for the power supplies to charge up. This is a well known defined problem for Samsung.

It has nothing to do with the remotes as the power supplies start as soon as the power button is pushed. You get the blinking red led until the startup sound comes.

The worse problem is impatience and pushing the power button again which triggers another cycle. That is why I just leave the TV on because I am not ready to install the new cap that I have.

Reactions: the mack
The problem with the Samsungs is that 10 volts capacitors were used when 25 volt caps were needed.
100% correct. I always try to use 25 or 35 volt 105 degree Celsius capacitors, but have seen the replacements fail too....not as much, but fail again. There must be other issues as well. BTW I am no TV repair man, just a handy guy with a lot of friends who have Samsungs.

Capacitors have a lifespan rating too. In the case of my Mom's TV I found the bad caps were rated at 2000 hrs. When looking for a replacement I found caps that had a 10,000 hour life rating, but they were the expensive ones. I paid a 1.02 for each one ;)

The last one's I changed I found some supposedly "Military grade" capacitors on line and paid $3.00.
Have to wait and see if the results are any better.
I have been sounding like crotchety old man lately always saying "everything is junk now a days" but man it sure seems true.
Companies like Ridgid whose tools I have always known to be top quality in the past selling out to Home Depot and now selling Chinese junk under the Ridgid name. Just Makes me sad.
I could go on forever, but I don't think anyone wants to hear it.:blah:biggrin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)