My TV takes up to 10 minutes to turn on ... what gives?

rapper450

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2015
Woodbury, MN
I'm hoping someone can give me a clue as to what the cause of this is before I go and buy a new TV (this one is a 7-yr-old Samsung from Best Buy). Over the past 10 days to two weeks the Hopper's remote controller will not reliably turn on the TV. Can anyone help me diagnose the problem? Please, please!

Using the remote, I usually turn on the receiver, then turn on the TV. The Hopper responds immediately, the TV would respond wihin a couple of seconds. Suddenly things have gone downhill, with the TV responding erratically. Sometimes responding only after pressing the TV ON button first and the receiver second, sometimes responding only if the TV ON button is used (not he remote button), sometimes responding only after I have unplugged the receiver from the wall and plugged it back in, sometimes responding, and coming to life some 10 minutes after I have walked away from it. I expect sometimes the buttons have been pressed to quickly, therefore turning the unit OFF, but, how can I tell when it takes so long for a result??

I suspect the Hopper plays some part in this problem because it occasionally "forgets" the attached external drive from one night to the next. Sometimes it wants to reformat the drive - losing everything stored there! - but I won't go ahead with that, so just ignore it and a few days later, without any action n my part, it's usable again.

I hate to put out the money for a new TV if it's not the failing part, but I also cannot figure a way to talk to DISH about this without total frustration. I sure could use some suggestions. Thanks! PS: I have replaced remote batteries, TV and Hopper are plugged directly into wall outlet, not multi-power adapter.

Capacitors in the power board section. Check with a repair shop. It was a common issue. I had my 7 year old Samsung fixed before it quit completely.

Capacitors in the power board section. Check with a repair shop. It was a common issue. I had my 7 year old Samsung fixed before it quit completely.

Great, thanks for the suggestion, and quick too! Problem is I'm a little dense on the subject of electronics and assume you're talking about the power board in the TV ... right?? If so, off the top of your head, do you think a service provider will come to the house to do this repair (the TV is wall hung)? As an aside, I'm suspicious of some planned obsolescence here ... or perhaps just shoddy workmanship / cheapest components use.

I couldn't get them to repair my TV in house. They only would pick it up and bring it back. Even though my extended warranty offered in home repairs. There is a separate power board in the set. They replaced the whole board instead of just the bad capacitors.
My mom had a little AOC TV with the same issue and I replaced the caps myself.

Bought the caps and there are several YouTube videos to show how to replace them. I just leave the TV on.

Bought the caps and there are several YouTube videos to show how to replace them. I just leave the TV on.

Thanks Brussam, I'll check them out. And, yes until this gets resolved I'll leave it on (even though my "cheap" nature will bug me every time I see it) LOL!

Easy test. Use the TV remote and see if there is still a response issue. Also look for any IR interference, such as light reflections off a glass tv stand, bright lights, etc.

Reactions: . Raine and Tampa8
I like ChadT41's idea first. Also look at all remotes for a stuck button.(although the batteries for that would have probably died by now)

Easy test. Use the TV remote and see if there is still a response issue. Also look for any IR interference, such as light reflections off a glass tv stand, bright lights, etc.

I'll give that a try too - soon as I locate that remote in the box of unused remotes in my closet! I don't think there's IR interference as there's been nothing added to the room, moved in the room, and the TV faces away from the windows. But I'll do all easily performed tests before I call in the pricey repair or hope to accomplish the repair with YouTube help.

It is the power supply capacitors for sure. Look for 2 or 4 bulged 1000uf capacitors located right next to a heat sink.

The board is not that hard to remove, so if so inclined you could remove board a take to a electronic repair facility and have them replaced, or go to radio shack and buy capacitors (better off finding higher temp one's, but the ones they have will work) and some de-soldering braid or a de-soldering iron and do it your self.

Reactions: TheKrell

Definitely check for IR interference as ChadT41 suggested, especially if you have changed any bulbs or such in the room lately. Cover the IR receiver in the TV real good with tape or something and then see if the TV will come on normally from the button on the TV itself. Also check if any of the buttons on the TV feel as if they're sticking.

Could be caps in the Pwr supply, very common, but it could be a lot of other things too. If you haven't already done it, take the model # of the TV and do a internet search of it and see if other people have had the same problem and/or a resolution to it.

Great, thanks for the suggestion, and quick too! Problem is I'm a little dense on the subject of electronics and assume you're talking about the power board in the TV ... right?? If so, off the top of your head, do you think a service provider will come to the house to do this repair (the TV is wall hung)? As an aside, I'm suspicious of some planned obsolescence here ... or perhaps just shoddy workmanship / cheapest components use.
Planned failure? No way. 7 years is a more than adequate lifetime for just about any electronic device..
Now, in the best layman's terms...Capacitor. An on board device that "stores" power. If you're old enough to remember tv's from before the 80's. They had tubes in them When the user turned ion the tv, there was a "warm up period" before the picture appeared. When "solid state" electronics came to the market, the tubes went away. One other feature was there was no "warm up". The video appeared within a few seconds. That was due to the capacitors....
Lastly, Samsung makes some of the highest quality and most reliable home electronic devices.

Planned failure? No way. 7 years is a more than adequate lifetime for just about any electronic device..
Now, in the best layman's terms...Capacitor. An on board device that "stores" power. If you're old enough to remember tv's from before the 80's. They had tubes in them When the user turned ion the tv, there was a "warm up period" before the picture appeared. When "solid state" electronics came to the market, the tubes went away. One other feature was there was no "warm up". The video appeared within a few seconds. That was due to the capacitors....
Lastly, Samsung makes some of the highest quality and most reliable home electronic devices.
Solid state came out WAAY before the 80's. There were some solid state radio and TV sets in the early '60s.

Due to transistors replacing vacuum tubes, not capacitors. Even old stuff back in the 20's had caps.

I believe he was saying warm up time was reduced from tube warm up periods to just the time it took to charge capacitors and such.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)