Status
Not open for further replies.

navy8ball

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 28, 2003
Henryetta,OK. 74437
i am about to purchase my first dvd.i want to get the best one out their.i like all kinds of movies from black and white old ones to the latest in action.also old tv shows.what should i get.

I currently own the Denon DVD-1910 and I am very happy with it. I don't know what kind of tech buff you are but this player has many robust features. It's main selling point it that it will up-convert all DVDs to 1080i, thought it's DVI port. The Denon name speaks for itself and at $249 and less it is a nice addition to any home theater.

Which ever player you decide on I would tell anyone that the player should feature Faroudja DCDi, this mechanism has improved the quality and enjoyment of all my DVDs.

You can spend anywhere from 29.99 to 2999.00 on a DVD player today, get one you like and most of all I would recommend hands on before you buy, this is the only real way to know if you like it.

navy8ball said:
i am about to purchase my first dvd.i want to get the best one out their.i like all kinds of movies from black and white old ones to the latest in action.also old tv shows.what should i get.

Are we talking about MOVIES or DVD PLAYER?

If you are talking about DVD Players and have a Hi-Def TV, I recommend the Zenith DVB-318. (Under 200.00) Does everything that hi-end DVD players do at a fraction of the cost. I've had 5 different players and the zenith tops them all.

Don't get sucked into the $39.00 bargain DVD players unless your budget can't handle $200.00+.

If you mean MOVIES. :D

Matrix (All 3)
Pirates of the Caribbean
Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet 20 episode 2 DVD set ($6 on ebay)
Blues Brothers (Original)
Laura Croft - Tomb Raider
Fast & Furious
Planes, Trains, Automobiles
Animal House

Check your local Walmart Bargain bin. 2 DVD's for $11.00 to start your collection or browse ebay (247,000 DVD's up for grabs) lots of boxed sets and season collections.

I can see that navy8ball means movies (and tv shows). I recommend the first three seasons of Cheers. :)
No further seasons have been released yet...

It's hard to recommend a title without knowing your tastes. Pick a movie that you like but haven't seen in a while. Visit some DVD sites. The Digital Bits and DVDFile.com are my favorites. Also with your interest in TV shows try TVShowsOnDVD.com.

If you are looking for ideas here is a link to my collection of DVDs. Maybe it will give you an idea.

The original Star Wars trilogy just came out.

Oops ... must have had too much rum on the first go round. The highest quality DVD in my library (only like 220 movies) is the Star Wars Trilogy that was just released in September. If you have any remote interest in Star Wars at all you would enjoy this collection.

I am glad to hear your looking for your first MOVIE and not your first PLAYER :) ... I think the Amish settlements in Pennsylvania have those already.

slacker9876 said:
Oops ... must have had too much rum on the first go round. The highest quality DVD in my library (only like 220 movies) is the Star Wars Trilogy that was just released in September. If you have any remote interest in Star Wars at all you would enjoy this collection.

I am glad to hear your looking for your first MOVIE and not your first PLAYER :) ... I think the Amish settlements in Pennsylvania have those already.
Maybe he is an Amish guy with really, really good eyes and a good imagination, and no DVD player, just looking for a DVD.

Any of Lord of the Rings Extended editions (Return of the King comes out in December), Finding Nemo, Saving Private Ryan, Bourne Identity: Special Edition, Indiana Jones Trilogy, Star Wars Trilogy, Band of Brothers set (wonderful in DTS), Gladiator: Special Edition, Stargate: Ultimate Edition...

Plenty of good stuff out there. It really depends on what you want to do, whether it's to just kick back and enjoy a good flick or to show off your new system to the friends and fam.

I agree with Bourne Identity, a "modern classic" (what's different with the special edition though?) and Indiana Jones, a more classical classic.

Comedy: Office Space :) ! :D ! or another favorite is Dumb and Dumber. I used to be able to proudly recite any line from that one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts