Not open for further replies.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Is this better dfergie? :)

How exactly do you have your wireless network set up?

Mine is set up where my cable modem is hooked into a netgear wireless router with 4 port switch built in. My computer is the only computer that is wired (currenty). My wife's laptop is wireless. My Xbox is using the wireless NYKO net extender. I tried every wireless adapter for the Xbox but could not get it to use WEP encryption. Being in the city I must have WEP encryption.

When we move I will get a wireless adapter for my computer, a wireless adapter for my sis-in-law's currently decommssioned computer (I took the memory out of it when we weren't using it to use in my PC) and I'm looking to get one of those netdrive external hard drives that you hook up to your network for backup and extra storage purposes.

wallyworld has a seagate 120 gig drive in an external box but i think its around 160, but you live around or closer to comp usa's, best buys, circuit citys etc... where I'm at its wally world, radio shack or my local computer repair place(sometimes reasonable and the only place besides net for good ide cables and stuff)

Cable modem to a linkys 802.11 b router. One desktop is wired. Another desktop and 2 laptops connect wirelesly. One througha PCMCIA card and 2 throuh USB adapters.

802 11 b is fine for net sharing a bit slow for backups and sharing large files.

Yep, though I would get a switch and not a hub.

You would just simply plug one port of your switch to one of the ports on your router.

No problemo. I do this computer crap for a living. :) What you would do is get a straight-through cable (a normal network cable) and plug one end from the uplink port on the switch to a port on your router.

I just got my network set up so that it is completely wireless. I was stricken by 5 lightning hits in the last 3 years. My UPS protection wasn't enough. (They paid though)

My DSL modem connects to Belkin 802.11g router.

PC has Belkin 54g PCI card. Laptop has Belkin 54g PCMCIA card. I also have an 802.11g USB adapter just in case someone brings me a computer to work on.

I had an Intel 24 Port hub hooked to the router for showing off but since I moved the router to a central location, I don't have it connected.

I also have a networked Hotsync cradle for my Palm.

I don't notice much difference. There is a little latency now and then. I had to throw out my 2.4ghz phone and go back to 900mhz cuz it was knocking my network out when the phone was in use.

That's odd. We use a 2.4 GHz phone setup in our house with our 802.11b which is also 2.4GHz. I guess the phone picks a channel that isn't in the same frequence range as the wireless network.

Have yet to have a problem. :D

dfergie said:
Ok thanks, ot...would you belive that I went to town looking for nortons program ghost, (I have a drive dieing)none to be had. Gonna have to order....(really want to keep some of that stuff, important stuff is backed up)

Can't you just install a secondary drive and copy the whole contents over? You don't need a program to do it. Just select the folders (or whole drive) and copy it to the new drive. Hard drives are cheaper than Nortons.

Neutron said:
That's odd. We use a 2.4 GHz phone setup in our house with our 802.11b which is also 2.4GHz. I guess the phone picks a channel that isn't in the same frequence range as the wireless network.

Have yet to have a problem. :D

I tried changing network channels, phone channels. It didn't matter. When in proximity to the notebook, my connection would die. It was a VTech phone too. I really liked it. :mad:

Not necessarily. You can get a copy of Norton Ghost 2003 for as little as $25.

Also, you can't just copy everything on a hard drive. In Windows if you try to copy any of the system files in use you will get a nice error.

Mark_AR said:
I tried changing network channels, phone channels. It didn't matter. When in proximity to the notebook, my connection would die. It was a VTech phone too. I really liked it. :mad:

We use AT&T 2.4GHz phones that has one expandable base. My wireless network is set to channel 6. I've got that thing MAC and 128bit WEP encrypted and the password set to a good long one.

We will soon be getting Vonage and getting a Uniden setup where I can have up to 4 expandable bases. I think it's a 5.8GHz phone setup. You could always do that.

Neutron said:
I think it's a 5.8GHz phone setup. You could always do that.

Yeah, if this phone dies, that is what I will do. I don't have my network WEP encrypted since I live far enough out in the country.

No one close is even computer literate. ;)

I am using Cable modem and then connected to Airport station. I have 4 PC windows based connected and one Mac connected as well. I have three laptops 2 window based and one mac.

I also have a repeater that repeats the signal in places where the signal gets weak. I can take the repeater and put it in any electrical outlet. So it gives two connections at any moment in the entire house, patio and pool (front and back).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)