Wireless Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark_AR said:
Can't you just install a secondary drive and copy the whole contents over? You don't need a program to do it. Just select the folders (or whole drive) and copy it to the new drive. Hard drives are cheaper than Nortons.
Norton is nice as you can quickly get a drive back up an running if it ever dies on you. Don't think of Norton's so much as the backup media, but rather software that does the backing up. You still have to have a place to keep it.

The new networking thing that we are playing with is the Apple Airport Express. I bought 3 of these things to extend the wireless network (Linksys WRT54GS's), in our home as well as being able to send music that is on the computers to the home theater.

We are strictly a Mac Family household. I have the G5 in my office, a G4 in the downstairs family room, G3 in the upstairs den, my wife & I both have PowerBooks, and when my daughter is home she has her iBook. All wireless.

No WEP crap here either, like Mark_AR were living the good life in rural America so no penalty to the network.

No ghosts around, did not order one. Tried the utility that comes with xp pro for moving files but it wont hack it. So I am just saving the stuff I really need to dvd (already backed up ) Will that Airport express allow you to stream video? I have 2 Replays and frequently stream from one to another as well as from one of the pc's.(Replay in livingroom hooked to 6000u, Replay in Ht room hooked to D*)

Neutron said:
Mine is set up where my cable modem is hooked into a netgear wireless router with 4 port switch built in. My computer is the only computer that is wired (currenty). My wife's laptop is wireless. My Xbox is using the wireless NYKO net extender. I tried every wireless adapter for the Xbox but could not get it to use WEP encryption. Being in the city I must have WEP encryption.

When we move I will get a wireless adapter for my computer, a wireless adapter for my sis-in-law's currently decommssioned computer (I took the memory out of it when we weren't using it to use in my PC) and I'm looking to get one of those netdrive external hard drives that you hook up to your network for backup and extra storage purposes.

Are you saying they hook directly to the network not to agiven PC?

Actually the one I was looking at has an RJ-45 connector on it made for networks. I forgot the brand, but best buy has a 160gig version for I think $225. You just plug it in to your network.

Thats exactly what the Linksys product is for. You plug it into your network, and it has USB ports on it for plugging in USB drives.

You could also use a Linux boot disk and use 'dd' to do it. Most of the tivo utility disks have this installed, and there are directions around on how to use dd. Just in case you don't have Max Blast/Ghost, etc..

Huh? I don't see why it wouldn't support that. Even the cheapy 802.11B (11Mbps) access points (AP) support up to 7-8 devices at the full 11Mbps. More than that and you'll start dropping to 5Mpbs, or even 2Mbps, but 4 devices shouldn't stress it at all. And it certainly won't stress todays 802.11G (54Mpbs) AP's on the market.

DaJoker said:
Huh? I don't see why it wouldn't support that. Even the cheapy 802.11B (11Mbps) access points (AP) support up to 7-8 devices at the full 11Mbps. More than that and you'll start dropping to 5Mpbs, or even 2Mbps, but 4 devices shouldn't stress it at all. And it certainly won't stress todays 802.11G (54Mpbs) AP's on the market.
streaming from one replay to another? while dv archiving from one to a pc? hmmm, cool

To take full advantage of your wireless network if you upgrade to 802.11g, make sure that all the network bits are from the same manufacturer. Most of the major brands market some sort of 108Mbps solution when the entire network is the same brand and protocol (no mixing B and G stuff). I normally sustain 60-80 Mbps when transferring files and streaming.

Those 108Mbps solutions are just using two separate 802.11g controllers in the one card and using them simultaneously as one MAC. Just like what you could do to tie two modems together for roughly double the throughput. The 802.11 stuff is just all done under the OS though, mostly in hardware and a little in the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)