My VIP722 is going crazy (or maybe it's me)

JonUrban

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Eastern Connecticut
I noticed my 722 was awfully loud (fan noise), and it was off.

I powered it up and nothing. Black. No lights. After a power down reboot, the green TV1 light flashed, then all of the leds flashed, then the TV1 light went out. Repeated attempts to turn it back on (with multiple unplugging) proved fruitless.

I did some searching here in the forum, and saw a post from someone who said he got his to work after a software download by leaving it unplugged for a long time.

I left mine unplugged for a day. When I powered it back up, it worked! :D

However, after watching for about 45 minutes, it went dark again, with the fan noise. I figured it was kaput. Then, 5 minutes later, it returned to life, searched for the signal, and began displaying video again.

WTF? Has anyone else had this problem. This will be a tough one to talk to the Indians about. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what course to take with this? It's a bought, not leased, receiver.

THANKS

:-jon

Your receiver detected a problem and rebooted itself (causing the loud screeching noise. If screeching does not stop or you get a prolonged error message or receiver does not find the sats after starting back up, then your receiver is done.

Your receiver detected a problem and rebooted itself (causing the loud screeching noise. If screeching does not stop or you get a prolonged error message or receiver does not find the sats after starting back up, then your receiver is done.

It's not exactly screeching, but it's now dead again. After being on another 15 minutes.

It's only 4 months old. I got it here from the Dish Store. I wonder if I can send it back to them without going through the whole Dish Deal? Has anyone had the Dish Store replace or fix a receiver before, or do they all have to go back to Dish?

It's not exactly screeching, but it's now dead again. After being on another 15 minutes.

It's only 4 months old. I got it here from the Dish Store. I wonder if I can send it back to them without going through the whole Dish Deal? Has anyone had the Dish Store replace or fix a receiver before, or do they all have to go back to Dish?

Couldn't hurt to ask Claude about it.

I am having the exact same problem with my 622.

It happened a few weeks ago and I had to unplug it before it would work. Worked fine and it happened again yesterday. Holding the power button does nothing. No lights. I powered it off for 5 minutes or so and when I plugged it in it was fine. Now I have the problem this morning. So far powering it off isn't fixing it. Seems like a dead 622 to me.

I'm about to call support but did a search before I did to see if anyone else had this problem.

Last edited:
Well, talked to Dish tech support. Always a joy. They had me do everything I already did. But they did ask me to wait 45 minutes after powering off to see if anything happens. At about 50 minutes the Acquiring Satellite screen and then the downloading guide message came on, and then black. Nothing.

I'm back at square one with the fan running but no lights on the front display.

Dish is sending me a new receiver.

Unbelievable! This very blackout happend with my 622 Sunday. I was watching a recorded show then the picture started to shake and then my 622 blacked out. I had sound but no picture. I tried everything then i did a reboot and waited. After the reboot it went back to black for about 3 seconds then the picture showed up. No problems with the audio side and even while the piture was not their I could still load the menus? Dish must be playing with the software again.

On another note, I still have not received the security cards for either of my HD receivers and I have had both for over 18 months. Anybody know when those cards are going to come out?

Back in June of 08 I had the samething happen to me to my 622, then again in sept of 08 to my new 622!!! Dish finally sent someone out to my house who gave me a 722 with no upgradee fees or any issues or commitments. No issue ever since then.

Well, I guess I have to call Dish, as Claude says it will be "easier". I just hope I get a CSR that understands what I'm telling them, and doesn't think I'm an idiot and have me reboot the thing 40 times.

Well, I guess I have to call Dish, as Claude says it will be "easier". I just hope I get a CSR that understands what I'm telling them, and doesn't think I'm an idiot and have me reboot the thing 40 times.

The CSR's were great when I explained what was going on. She had me try the normal things but after had a new receiver sent to me.

Now, the activation of the new receiver yesterday took 80 minutes of phone time! The CSR was a moron. I still don't have my local channels that I subscribe to, but I hung up and figured I would call today so I get someone new.

On another note, I still have not received the security cards for either of my HD receivers and I have had both for over 18 months. Anybody know when those cards are going to come out?
I just got an automated call over the past weekend that my cards should arrive within 10 days. I got the cards on Monday or Tuesday. I have a newer 722 so I thought maybe it already had a new card in it, but I received two. The other was for my 622 I got in February 2006.

The CSR's were great when I explained what was going on. She had me try the normal things but after had a new receiver sent to me.

Now, the activation of the new receiver yesterday took 80 minutes of phone time! The CSR was a moron. I still don't have my local channels that I subscribe to, but I hung up and figured I would call today so I get someone new.
You can activate that receiver online in about 3 seconds. Why do people over-complicate things?

What did they say when you told them you don't lease the reciever. I am in the same boat I think and I bought the reciever and activated it when I suscribed to dicknet. Now it is Kaput! It wont get a signal for the life of me! Will they know if I send them a reciever I bought off my buddy. hmmmm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)