My ViP722 Just Went Suicidal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

john81

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
North Pole
So I began to hear a high pitched intermittent squeal coming from my 722 after about an hour of watching tv (it is well ventilated, fan always runs very quiet, has never give me any other problems before, etc etc). As I poked my head around it, it seemed to either come from the HDD or the Power Supply. I immediately put it in standby...same problem. It would stop for a minute then back again. So I powered it down for 10 minutes by pulling the plug. Reinserted it, same noise...left it on for 5 minutes and POOF... it turned itself off, and seemed like it was trying to turn itself back on but couldn't. Instead the green, yellow, and red led lights were flashing repeatedly very quickly. Pulled out the plug, and plugged it back in, and now I get nothing. The receiver doesn't indicate it's getting any power at all now.

I don't know if it was depressed or had mental issues, but it never told me it wanted to take its own life like this. I wish we had just talked things over before it was too late. :(

3 Questions Now:

1) What do you guys think it was? My guess is power supply considering it won't even turn on at all now. I know the 6000's fell victim to power supply deaths, with the same diagnosis (a high pitched squeal) as this one.

2) The PVR recordings are quite important to the wife, so do you recommend I void the warranty by having someone fix it locally? Do you think it will be a cheap or easy fix from the sounds of what happened?

3) If I get it replaced by Dish, will it be possible to get a 722k now or will that cost extra? What is the turn-around time to getting this replaced? Will they just ship it to me or do they drop it off and install it?

Thx guys.

Call to get it replaced and shipped. You cannot have it repaired. The shows are gone. Usually 3-5 business days. Remember with 722K, you will have to pay extra for the tuner module.

Good reminder to get an EHD and save your important shows on there. Except for the fact that it might die just as easily. Oh man - is there a good backup method available?

EHD is not married to a receiver - it is married to your account and can be used on any receiver of the same class that is active on your account.

HDD bye bye

2) The PVR recordings are quite important to the wife, so do you recommend I void the warranty by having someone fix it locally? Do you think it will be a cheap or easy fix from the sounds of what happened?

Only answering this 1 question cause I hope that she doesn't kill you. You've described the sound of a hard drive dying perfectly. No they don't give much of a warning. You might be able to get the HDD running again for time but if you do get the stuff transferred to an EHD immediately. The possible way to get an going again sometime is as follows. Open the case of the 722 and get drive loose so it can be held outside of the unit in a manner that will get it so that the HDD is sideways (no longer horizontal but vertical. While starting the unit tap on it with something like rubber coated screw driver. If it starts back running then you will have to move all of the stuff on it ASAP to the EHD. :eureka I've gotten HDD's to run long enough to dump of what was on it in PC'S so good luck. Odds are not good though.

Only answering this 1 question cause I hope that she doesn't kill you. You've described the sound of a hard drive dying perfectly. No they don't give much of a warning. You might be able to get the HDD running again for time but if you do get the stuff transferred to an EHD immediately. The possible way to get an going again sometime is as follows. Open the case of the 722 and get drive loose so it can be held outside of the unit in a manner that will get it so that the HDD is sideways (no longer horizontal but vertical. While starting the unit tap on it with something like rubber coated screw driver. If it starts back running then you will have to move all of the stuff on it ASAP to the EHD. :eureka I've gotten HDD's to run long enough to dump of what was on it in PC'S so good luck. Odds are not good though.
Right on! I did that with a SATA drive on my computer as well. I wouldn't boot at all, so I asked a guy what to do. He said to turn it upright and try it again. It worked and I moved all my files. It's worth a try if you truly need the info.

Wonder if you could just angle the receiver with the front panel up and support it properly and then plug it in and see what happens. If so, it might be more simple than having to remove the drive itself. Yould have to be careful to not void the warranty by removing the drive, if that applies.

The gentle tap

Right on! I did that with a SATA drive on my computer as well. I wouldn't boot at all, so I asked a guy what to do. He said to turn it upright and try it again. It worked and I moved all my files. It's worth a try if you truly need the info.

Wonder if you could just angle the receiver with the front panel up and support it properly and then plug it in and see what happens. If so, it might be more simple than having to remove the drive itself. Yould have to be careful to not void the warranty by removing the drive, if that applies.

One thing is if you still the VIP on it's side to do the gentle tapping on it when starting you will still have to open the case. The gentle tapping helps the unit to "break" loose and start turning again.
To refridge the unit you sure gonna need some kind of space in you fridge to fit it plus the condensation of moisture can't be too good for the whole DVR. Have never tried this but the reason I haven't is due to the fear of the moisture condensation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)