Mysterious Timers Appearing on 722

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shantyman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Fairfield, OH
In the past 2 weeks we have noticed shows recording that we never set up to record and associated daily timers to go with them. We are sure it is not a shared RF frequency issue either as we have changed it to not conflict with our neighbors and we have not seen any phantom channel changing or anything like that (multi unit building). Additionally, TV2's light will sometimes be on even though it is not actually on.

Is there some functionality in the box I am not aware of that could cause this?:confused:

I noticed the same thing on my 501 they are shows recording that i never set up to record.
My 508 is ok

One question are the recordings on local stations? CBS, ABC, etc. Do you have an antenna set up on the receiver. If yes, I have a convoluted explanation for you. I have had a similar issue.

Me Too ?

I have the samething happenning on my 722 also,and its mostly shows being recorded from are Local ABC channel,I have tried to figure it out ,its a nuisance but not that hard to erase .But I would like to know why it occurs.
There has been a few time I have had other show I wanted to see set to record and this has caused them not to be recorded and the ABC show to be .Annoying as hell.

I have the samething happenning on my 722 also,and its mostly shows being recorded from are Local ABC channel,I have tried to figure it out ,its a nuisance but not that hard to erase .But I would like to know why it occurs.
There has been a few time I have had other show I wanted to see set to record and this has caused them not to be recorded and the ABC show to be .Annoying as hell.

I know this makes no sense, but the best I can piece together is that there is another recurring recording scheduled on a 'cable' channel (let us say disney), at the time of the recording a bleep happens (signal lost) in the OTA station last tuned in. This bleep causes the tuner to behave strangely where is switches to a local station, begins recording and modifies the original recording to be the local channel. Although I can not reproduce it, it has happened to me several times. On all occasions - it is local channel that is recorded and a recurring "cable" channel's timer for the same time disappears. It has happened on my receiver which has a telephone but no internet connection (unable to reach it through scheduler) - and no one in my neighborhood has Dish except me- so a stray remote would be unlikely, and it is not set as the default UHF or IR remote numbers anyway.

I know it sounds crazy, but weird things happen when the last OTA channel you are watching losses signals. I actually have had Dish out 2 times to try and fix the issue, including completely rewiring my satellite, replacing the receiver, re-grounding the system, etc. There are a bunch of weird behaviors that have been reported here with OTA signal loss even when not actually watching OTA. Sometimes you get can not find satellite signal warnings, sometimes the screen on non-OTA channels blank, sometimes you turn to the OTA station and it tunes to a non-OTA 'cable' station, etc.

Someone else in the neighborhood has a Dish Network setup and their UHF remote is controlling your box bacause you and they are using the default remote address. Go to the User Manual and change the ADDRESS used by your remote before they start buying PPVs and you get billed for them.

IT HAPPENS and you may not get out of the bill...

wkomorow's experience may be closer to the truth. I do remember a thread a while ago about recordings that were never set, but the OTA loss of signal was problem related. Yes, in fact, OTA loss of signal has screwed up DVR in numerous ways--including not recording my timed events--that I now take care to always leave my box tuned to satellite channels when I put it in standby.

wkomorow's experience may be closer to the truth. I do remember a thread a while ago about recordings that were never set, but the OTA loss of signal was problem related. Yes, in fact, OTA loss of signal has screwed up DVR in numerous ways--including not recording my timed events--that I now take care to always leave my box tuned to satellite channels when I put it in standby.

What Dish needs to do is to isolate the OTA tuner in some way so that OTA signal loss does not screw up the satellite channels. I will have an OTA signal loss tune the same channel (from sateliite) and have it tell me that it can not find the satellite signal - I have to reset the receiver to get it working again.

Someone else in the neighborhood has a Dish Network setup and their UHF remote is controlling your box bacause you and they are using the default remote address. Go to the User Manual and change the ADDRESS used by your remote before they start buying PPVs and you get billed for them.

IT HAPPENS and you may not get out of the bill...

I have done this already. There is no evidence anyone is controlling it in that way.

The recording did all seem to be locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)