Namath

I finally saw it last night. It was very good and in many ways...his story almost reminds me a little of Mickey Mantle. Small town boy becomes a big time idol in the pros in NYC. Early injuries and the playboy lifestyle ended his career way earlier than it should have. Became a legend in their adoptive homes of NYC and a bigger legend back in their home town respectively.

I finally saw it last night. It was very good and in many ways...his story almost reminds me a little of Mickey Mantle. Small town boy becomes a big time idol in the pros in NYC. Early injuries and the playboy lifestyle ended his career way earlier than it should have. Became a legend in their adoptive homes of NYC and a bigger legend back in their home town respectively.
Not to hijack the thread, but in Oklahoma City, everything around the triple-A ballpark is named after Mickey Mantle. The street, restaurants, statues, etc.

Not to hijack the thread, but in Oklahoma City, everything around the triple-A ballpark is named after Mickey Mantle. The street, restaurants, statues, etc.

Not hijacking at all. I would not be surprised if alot of things are named after Joe Namath in Beaver Falls, PA. He almost signed with the Pirates as a baseball player and he wanted to play with MY idol, Roberto Clemente.

It was good. I didn't follow football much as a child but I remember the first time I saw him was on the Brady Bunch. He also filled in for Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show as guest host . And he made a movie in 1969 called CC and Company . It's sad that he had to get drunk on Television and become a butt of jokes.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was good. I didn't follow football much as a child but I remember the first time I saw him was on the Brady Bunch. He also filled in for Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show as guest host . And he made a movie in 1969 called CC and Company . It's sad that he had to get drunk on Television and become a butt of jokes.

He was going through a tough time in his life and unfortunately, that is what happened. Personally, I think of that as a VERY small part of his life.

He was going through a tough time in his life and unfortunately, that is what happened. Personally, I think of that as a VERY small part of his life.

Yes but getting busted in Public like that might have saved his life. He was using cox-2 inhibitors for arthritis at that time and using that with alcohol was really dangerous.
Check out this story from USA TodayUSATODAY.com - 'Broadway Joe' puts life back on track

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts