Nasa Fta?

mbarnes

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I have read here someplace that the NASA channel on E* is FTA. Does that mean I can watch it without a registered account? I have a receiver and dish I pick up for a few bucks at a swap meet. I'd like to stick something up for my shop to put just on the NASA channel, nothing else. Will this work, or, since it is a DishNetwork receiver with smart card, it won't get anything unless activated.

TNX,
Michael

I had my mothballed 501 online to update software the other day, and IIRC, it brought in NASA just fine. I think there's some other channels that will work too - look up in the 9900 area.

Okay, I have a 3900 that was laying around for some time. I picked it up a a swap meet a while back for almost nothing. I hooked up a dish on my shop, got a great signal on 119. Program guide shows channle 101, then 9602, 9500, then the Sirius channels, and a few others, but nothing in the "normal" program range. If I manually enter 213 for NASA, it jumps right back to 101.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

Whatever dish it is, make sure you get a good signal from both 110 and 119 (even though you're only interested in NASA on 119). Then do a 'check switch' test and see if that helps. You might have to play with it a little, i.e. run the 'check switch' with/without the receiver connected to anything, with/without the switch in place, etc. Also if the LNBs on the dish are DishPro (dP) you'll need a DishPro adaptor for your legacy receiver.

Nasa is on 119-6
101 is on 119-11

TuxCoder probably nailed it. DishPro LNBF and no DP Adapter would keep you from getting the even transponders.

ehh so 101 is in the clear, does that mean those folks that love Charlie Chat's can just pick up a cheap E receiver and never activate it and watch Charlie each month without being a E* sub? :)

Not only NASA is in the clear, I believed CCTV9 is also in the clear.

mbarnes said:
I have read here someplace that the NASA channel on E* is FTA. Does that mean I can watch it without a registered account? I have a receiver and dish I pick up for a few bucks at a swap meet. I'd like to stick something up for my shop to put just on the NASA channel, nothing else. Will this work, or, since it is a DishNetwork receiver with smart card, it won't get anything unless activated.

TNX,
Michael

CCTV is in the clear on G3 at 95. You need a 30" dish and KU band LNBF for it

I just hooked up a mothballed 3000 (to reaim a dish) and I got
213-NASA
262-Angel One
The knock off shopping channels
103-PPV preview
139-Sports Preview

I've done the check switch thing several times, with no help. The dish is a generic no-name single LNB dish pointed at 119. On the signal strength menu, I get 112 on T-11 and 107 on T-6.

It is interesting that I can get all the Sirius satellite radio, as well as all the Muzak and CD music, though.

Each time I exit the signal strength page, it asks to run a check switch. I do not have a switch or multi-dish installed. Perhaps it thinks I do?

Michael

do this

unhook the line from the back of the receievr
run check switch to clear it out
hook line back up and go from there.

Nope, didn't work. Interestingly, the switch check shows all X's in the satellite and only the EVEN transponder under switch 1. When I had the dish pointed at the 110 satellite, it showed 110 in both positions under switch 1 and EVEN and ODD in the transponder blocks.

So, why does it work on 110 and not 119?

Michael

I get DNFYI CH 101 okay, TP 11
I get Interactive Weather, 9500, on TP 4
I get all the Sirius music on many odd and even transponders.
I get several BTV channels.
I get 19 Aud channels and 32 CD channels.

All I really want is NASA.

How annoying!

weird.....

since the audio channels are only available for subscribers of AT120 and above, this one is weird.

wonder if the software is outdated...new version is 232. Check system info screen (menu 6-1-3) and under software, it should start with 232. Might need to take that download for it to work right.

Software version is P108CLGD-N. I've followed the update instructions as I understand them, but I get no update. I go to Updates, (menu>6>1>5), check "Without my permission" and click save. Then I turn off the receiver for 15 minutes. Supposedly, it will show a "point dish" screen on power up, but it does not. Do I need to do something else to force a download/update?

It seems in the recesses of my mind, there were differences between turning the receiver off with the remote and from the front panel. Could this be an issue with a 3900? Which should I use for forcing a software update?

it might be too old to receive an update...but its weird because it has Sirius on it

If the 3900 has 2 buttons on it, press both for 5 seconds...that should hard reset it and hopefully take a software upgrade :)

Leave it off over night and see if the software updates if not call DISH Technical support the software may be too out of date to upgrade.

Since this is a non-authorized receiver, I'm probably not going to get much from DISH Tech Support. Somehow I'm having trouble thinking that the software version is the trouble, since it gets the Sirius channels. They are fairly new channels. I think its probably the LNB, but I'll pull another receiver over and check what happens with it.

If you are getting both odds and evens it isnt the LNB.

I'd try to let it download tonight...Usually around 3AM they send the signals to the receivers for "hits"

I still think its the software version

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)