NASA TV - HD or do we lose it?

On the flipside, I hate it when a 4x3 image is stretched to 16x9 making everyone fat.

Not if the signal is anamorphic widescreen like a DVD widescreen picture. Then it looks horizontally squished until you set the aspect ratio properly. The question I have is, why can't Dish do that so that we don't get crappy PQ when zoomed in both directions? :(

Reactions: Jim S.
Not if the signal is anamorphic widescreen like a DVD widescreen picture. Then it looks horizontally squished until you set the aspect ratio properly. The question I have is, why can't Dish do that so that we don't get crappy PQ when zoomed in both directions? :(
Yeah, but at least a squished image can be adjusted like you said. A stretched image being transmitted can't be fixed at all with aspect ratio changes. At least not on any of my tvs.

Reactions: pattykay
Maybe a lot of people have forgot. NASA is a great program for kids. Girls and boys who study science and their teachers find this to be great programming

My kids used to watch shuttle launches with me and still watch SpaceX etc. They've never asked to watch the ISS Hour ;)

Maybe we should remember that a nation who forgets its past, may be headed for trouble.

True - but let's keep things in perspective. Dish having or not having NASA TV in HD is not changing the path of our country. Nor is it a sign that we've forgotten our past.

On the flipside, I hate it when a 4x3 image is stretched to 16x9 making everyone fat.

Yeah, but at least a squished image can be adjusted like you said. A stretched image being transmitted can't be fixed at all with aspect ratio changes. At least not on any of my tvs.
That is very true. My local TV station WMFD used to do that when they first started broadcasting 16x9. It was really annoying when they were also still broadcasting in analog 4x3, so I could easily see the difference just by switching channels back and forth. Fortunately, they eventually switched to true HD, and the stretching has not been an issue since then.

What I hate is that my local PBS station takes a "picture framed" SD 16X9 image from the center of the screen and then stretches that! It is both low resolution and stretched. The TV can not correct it as it thinks it is getting a 1080i 16X9 signal, whether OTA or from a paid provider. I wrote the manager a letter about it and she claims that there is nothing they can do, "it comes from PBS that way". I know that is not true as it is not that way in other cities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)