Hopper 3/Carbon Folders

xfoneguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Duvall, WA
With the old UI and Hopper I was always changing my mind about folders (probably had something to do with a serious limitation to the number you could create) and I found myself creating and placing programs in folders but then later turning off the folders. With the new Hopper, it's great to be able to create so many folders but having done so and moving programs, is there no easy way to "turn off" the folders so that I can see all my programs according to their titles again? If there is, I'm not finding it. It looks like it would be a real pain to move everything out again.

OK, now this keeps getting stranger and stranger ......... I hated to be one of those "boot it again, Sam's" but so many things were not looking or working right that I finally decided to just do it. NOW all but 4 of my folders (I had at least a dozen) are GONE! All the programs that were in folders are visible, but not in folder(s). Program icons that previously showed 6 episodes but only had 1 or 2 when selected are back to 6 again. Any insight into what the heck is occurring here? Again, I'm hoping that these are issues that will eventually resolve themselves, but I can't help but wonder :coco.

OK, now this keeps getting stranger and stranger ......... I hated to be one of those "boot it again, Sam's" but so many things were not looking or working right that I finally decided to just do it. NOW all but 4 of my folders (I had at least a dozen) are GONE! All the programs that were in folders are visible, but not in folder(s). Program icons that previously showed 6 episodes but only had 1 or 2 when selected are back to 6 again. Any insight into what the heck is occurring here? Again, I'm hoping that these are issues that will eventually resolve themselves, but I can't help but wonder :coco.

Agreed........ I'm having a lot of the same crazy bugs you are. Reboot fixes them for a period. But I'm coming from Directv. So I hate to keep rebooting as I'm trying to rebuild our recorded shows. I fully expected bugs being early adopter on a new platform. But not to this extent! I will add this product has the potential to be best DVR I've ever owned. I just hope the waiting period to get there is sooner than later.

Reactions: Rixos and xfoneguy
Agreed........ I'm having a lot of the same crazy bugs you are. Reboot fixes them for a period. But I'm coming from Directv. So I hate to keep rebooting as I'm trying to rebuild our recorded shows. I fully expected bugs being early adopter on a new platform. But not to this extent! I will add this product has the potential to be best DVR I've ever owned. I just hope the waiting period to get there is sooner than later.
Totally in agreement with all - I love trialing new products but unfortunately my spouse doesnt quite share my enthusiasm. The times we have to "just watch TV" are less than fulfilling right now and sometimes downright frustrating.

Just wondering how folders are working for everyone? I happened across another board/forum while trying to find answers for my program icons problem. One of the busiest discussions had to do with folders on the new UI. Seems quiet a few have lost all but 5 of their folders following the nightly update(s). Recordings are not lost - they just are no longer in folders. After reading that. I happened to look at my DVR and noticed I only have 5 folders left, even though I had 7 or 8 a few days ago. They were empty so I wasn't paying much attention to them. Have you been able to keep more than 5 folders along with whatever recordings you have in them?

Just wondering how folders are working for everyone? I happened across another board/forum while trying to find answers for my program icons problem. One of the busiest discussions had to do with folders on the new UI. Seems quiet a few have lost all but 5 of their folders following the nightly update(s). Recordings are not lost - they just are no longer in folders. After reading that. I happened to look at my DVR and noticed I only have 5 folders left, even though I had 7 or 8 a few days ago. They were empty so I wasn't paying much attention to them. Have you been able to keep more than 5 folders along with whatever recordings you have in them?
If the folders are empty, they may be hidden (mine were). Check Folder Management & see if they're not still listed.

I created a folder for my wife's shows and changed her timers so that they're all supposed to go into the folder. It seems that at first they don't automatically do that. I have to go into one of the menus and add the show to the folder manually. Then it seems to stick.

Can you have folders on your EHD? How, I can't seem to figure out how to do it.
I tried. I selected DVR. I select an EHD. Then I selected Sources. I then used the options button and selected manage folders. I created a new folder. I hit options again an selected Manage Folders. I selected each show I want to put into the new folder and they are check marked.I select move to folder and highlight the new folder and select.The programs I highlighted go of the EHD grid. I use the back button to go to the EHD grid and the folder is not there and neither are the programs I put into it. I then go to options and delete the folder and the programs go back into the EHD grid. Everything works to create and populate folders for EHDs except the final step of seeing the folder.

I tried. I selected DVR. I select an EHD. Then I selected Sources. I then used the options button and selected manage folders. I created a new folder. I hit options again an selected Manage Folders. I selected each show I want to put into the new folder and they are check marked.I select move to folder and highlight the new folder and select.The programs I highlighted go of the EHD grid. I use the back button to go to the EHD grid and the folder is not there and neither are the programs I put into it. I then go to options and delete the folder and the programs go back into the EHD grid. Everything works to create and populate folders for EHDs except the final step of seeing the folder.
Similiar here I think - I create the folder specifically for the EHD but it ends up on the Hopper DVR screen - and - without any EHD files in it.

I noticed last night two of my folders had disappeared. l recreated them, edited my timers to put the recordings in the recreated folders and moved the existing recordings back in the folders. Today the same two folders are missing.

Thanks for that idea - I did check and unfortunately there are only the 5 remaining folders there.

After reading that you had 5 folders remaining I noticed I had 5 folders remaining. Sounds like when the H3 does it's nightly upgrades it deletes all but 5 folders.

I noticed last night two of my folders had disappeared. l recreated them, edited my timers to put the recordings in the recreated folders and moved the existing recordings back in the folders. Today the same two folders are missing.

After reading that you had 5 folders remaining I noticed I had 5 folders remaining. Sounds like when the H3 does it's nightly upgrades it deletes all but 5 folders.
Yes, in fact I think it will wipe out the "extra" folders anytime the Hopper restarts - whether it's the nightly "auto" or you have to restart for some reason. That's how I first discovered this over the weekend. My H3 froze up and there was nothing I could do but push the darn button - when it came back up, the folders were gone.

I have had to recreate one folder 3 times now. Only have 6 folder, so it lines up with what your guys are saying.

I have had to recreate one folder 3 times now. Only have 6 folder, so it lines up with what your guys are saying.
I'm curious how you have 6 - I can only hold on to 5. Are you counting the "no folders" item as 1? Also, I have alerted one of the DIRT's to this and he is passing it along.

Reactions: evilsofa
I'm curious how you have 6 - I can only hold on to 5. Are you counting the "no folders" item as 1? Also, I have alerted one of the DIRT's to this and he is passing it along.
No, I have 6, and one gets deleted every few days and goes to 5. Then I have to recreate it to get back up to 6 for a few days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts