NASCAR 2013 season

There is a limit of 22 drivers for it so if there were 20 pole winners from last year (as example) then the past winners would be smaller...they go from recent on

But it use to be called the Bud Shootout which until a couple years ago the pole winner was "the Bud Pole Winner"

edit: I was wrong...per wiki its a max of 28 drivers

Thanks ...

I'm glad they have a cap on it ...

But its a helluva lot better than previously
2009: The field consists of 28 cars. The top six teams from each manufacturer (Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, and Toyota) based on owners' points from the previous season clinch berths, for a total of 24 cars. Previous season's pole position winners no longer were a qualifying factor. Unlike previous formats, the entry receives the berth, not the driver. In addition, each of the four manufacturers receive one "wild card" berth for a car/driver not already qualified, to bring the grand total to 28 cars. The other four "entries" were for previous champions and past Shootout winners. This system was discarded after only one year.

remember that abortion??

2010-2011: A new qualifying format was introduced, which expanded the field, with no size limitations:

The 12 drivers from the previous season's Chase
Previous Budweiser Shootout winners
Previous points-paying winners at Daytona (Daytona 500 or Coke Zero 400)
Previous Sprint Cup champions
The last 10 Rookies of year (in 2010, it was only the reigning rookie of the year)

2012: The field was once again expanded. Automatic bids went to the top 25 in series points (every driver from eventual series champion Tony Stewart to 25th place Brian Vickers), as well as any Daytona race winner who was not otherwise qualified and who competed in at least one race in 2011 (which will enable Bill Elliott, Geoff Bodine, Derrike Cope, Michael Waltrip, Jamie McMurray, Trevor Bayne, Terry Labonte, and Ken Schrader to make the race if they decide to run).

THANK GOD they are going back to what it use to be
2002-2008: Pole position winners from the previous season clinched automatic berths. All former winners of the event not already qualified received automatic berths.

Yes, NASCAR, the only company I know of that CONTINUOUSLY changes the rules to hopefully make it better, (while usually F'n it up) ...

It use to be better than it is now, glad they DECIDED TO GO BACK TO THE WAY IT USE TO BE ...

Now if the REALLY wanted it to be about the Pole winners, then make it Pole winners ONLY.
That way you have the distinct possibility of missing out on some MAJOR drivers.

Now if the REALLY wanted it to be about the Pole winners, then make it Pole winners ONLY.
That way you have the distinct possibility of missing out on some MAJOR drivers.

like this year with Bowyer and Keselowski not being in it ;)
Its fine to have past winners of the shootout and I like the fact they had to at least attempt to make a race last year....so you dont have guys who dont race but come back to try because they cling onto one win (kinda like Derrike Cope who won the 1990 Daytona 500 only because Earnhardt cut a tire)

With the testing this past weekend at Daytona and one this week at Charlotte that only means one thing

Nascar season just around the corner :)

They tested today at Charlotte. I was in ear shot of the speedway. I was going to take a ride up to the track to check it out but I had to go look at a job, so the track visit got scratched.
It was cool to hear the cars though.

other changes
-Office Depot leaves sport...Stewart has Bass Pro Shops for 18 races...Mobile 1 for 11
-US Army leaves sport....Newman has 6 different sponsors next year
-51 car has a sponsor....for the 500 at least...Guy Roofing is the sponsor
I have not heard or read the sponsor(s) for the 17 yet.

Don't forget the car changes ... the car of the future is gone. ;)

Yep. It's about time. The common template approach took all the brand recognition out of the visible part of the cars.
At least now there is some identifiable shapes which one can point out and say "yes, that's a Camry".

They should kick them out...

Why?....Many Toyota models are built right here in the US with majority US Made parts. While some Domestics( Ha ha ) are made outside the US with majority foreign made parts.
As a matter of fact, the Ford Fusion save for the badge is essentially a foreign car. They are built in Mexico with majority foreign made parts.

They tested today at Charlotte. I was in ear shot of the speedway. I was going to take a ride up to the track to check it out but I had to go look at a job, so the track visit got scratched.
It was cool to hear the cars though.

Thats the way it is at the cottage on Vinyard Lake when the guys are in Michigan, you definitely know when they are running or guys are practicing.

Fwiw, when they show the aerial view of MIS top right corner shows the lake.

note that the sponsor thing can change but from where I got that info

Best Buy, Fifth Third Bank and Zest will return in 2013, with each increasing their commitment in 2013. With their involvement, the majority of Stenhouse's races for 2013 are fully sponsored

Oh boy, a NASCAR forum!

I am a Carl Edwards fan and my wife is a massive Casey Mears fan. I must say, we have met Casey over 25 times and he is a great guy. We stopped by the race shop back in June and he was there. He spent over an hour with us just talking racing and his family. So yeah, I am a Casey Mears fan as well.

Oh boy, a NASCAR forum!

I am a Carl Edwards fan and my wife is a massive Casey Mears fan. I must say, we have met Casey over 25 times and he is a great guy. We stopped by the race shop back in June and he was there. He spent over an hour with us just talking racing and his family. So yeah, I am a Casey Mears fan as well.

Welcome to the Site !

Call me isolationist or whatever but if you want foreign car makers racing call it FASCAR or the like... ;)
Isolationism is failed policy. Trade wars are a waste of time. Nobody wins.
My take..If a manufacturer can create a car that can compete, bring it on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts