National Geographic HD a la carte?

There are very few true a la carte channels, and NGHD is not one of them. Now that CBSHD is gone I don't think are are any HD a la carte channels through E*

Discovery HD Theater used to be a ala cart channel at $7.99/mo. Then it was grouped into HD pak, and then into the metal paks. It might possibly be on the books still as a ala carte.

it's grandfathered as ala carte. but those are some crazy people who are still hanging on to the channel and never went to the 9.99 pack

Of course I can't find it right now, but earlier when I first responded to the OP I listed the Discovery HD info from the Dish Network Web site. Anyway, Discovery HD is not available a la carte since the launch of the 4 channel HD pack for $9.99. Existing subscribers were allowed to keep the channel a la carte for a while.

See ya
Tony

Not sure I understand why NG is a premium because my mom and dad have it and while I was there on Turkeyday weekend I never saw anything in HD on it. Discovery seems to be a much better channel.

That is a bummer that they don't offer it separately. Thanks for the info. I wonder if they will be doing this like that with future HD channels.

I think it should be in HD-Bronze. Dish doesn't put it there because you have to have AT180 to get NG in SD, so they require you to have an HD pack that also includes AT180. But we are paying $20 for a relatively few HD channels and I think NGHD could have slid in there without a problem.

We expect E* to stay with this schema. You will get the HD channels if you sub to a package that includes the SD channel.

Not sure I understand why NG is a premium because my mom and dad have it and while I was there on Turkeyday weekend I never saw anything in HD on it. Discovery seems to be a much better channel.

One day's viewing does not a statistical analysis make.

National Geographic HD runs a mix of HD and upconverted SD stuff; in the beginning they had a lot more SD stuff, but I think the channel runs some excellent stuff in HD.

But yes, you need HD Gold to get it.

Forgive the noob question:

If I contract with D* (VIP622, a D* HDdish and D* 100 HD programming for $35.97/mo using current HD offer) and have a seperate StarChoice dish (with contracted HD programming) already installed , can I use the VIP622 for both D* and StarChoice HD content?

Asking because this gets me into NGHD, 27 D* HD channels, US Network HD via SC and PBSHD for kids.

No. Sorry.

BTW. D* is DirecTV in most circles. E* is Echostar (which owns Dish Network). And just in case you meant DirecTV, there is no way a Dish receiver will ever pick up a DirecTV signal.

See ya
Tony