national geographic HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pez419

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2005
Springfield MO
I was wondering if E* was planning to have NG HD anytime soon. I know this has been discused before, but I haven't hit the site in a while. Does anyone have any news? I would love to have this channel in HD.

I still can't figure why...

lrossnm said:
I emailed ceo@echostar.com a couple of weeks ago and the answer was that they hope to have it on this summer.

we do not have PBS HD? According to a post I read, someone said that they talked to a higher up at PBS and was told that Dish could have it if they wanted:confused: . Sometimes I wonder what the thinking is that it is going on at Dish (Food channel, HGTV) there are others that are more appetizing for sure! Gerry

PBS HD would be real nice. My local puts it on subchannnel 4 so I don't get the guide info, have to go to the web for that.

Food HD is my ticket in

Food HD is not my first choice on HD additions either.

However, Food HD is my ticket to a new 622. I have been just tolerating Charter SD and getting OTA HD off my old VOOM box. The only reason I had C* was a 6 mo everything promo that made it just tolerable which is sadly for her (but fortunately for me) coming to an end this weekend.

But alas, when the wifey found out that *E was getting Food HD! And we could get a HDDVR!! She was practically dialing the number for me. So VOOM and E* HD will be living once again in our house.

National geographic HD would be great. While the food HD may not be my first pick either, it is still better than some of that voom stuff. Get rid of the gallery channel and the fashion channel and the gameplay channel! Food HD and home and garden HD have got to have better content than those ones do. A lot of those voom channels are a waste of bandwidth.

They claim 1700 hours per week of HD right? I would guess about 1500 of those hours are repeats from the previous week. Voom has just been a loop of the same programming for a year now. Once you've watched it, you've seen it all!

The National Geographic Channel is only available in the higher priced packages - think it is the gold package. Will the HD version only be available to those that get the SD version, or will it be part of the HD package?

Also, in my opinion the Voom channels should have stayed as a separate extra cost package. We use the HD package for the local networks and some of the HD Net programs, and that is about it.

Last edited:
Also, in my opinion the Voom channels should have stayed as a separate extra cost package. We use the HD package for the local networks and some of the HD Net programs, and that is about it.[/QUOTE]

It would be interesting to see how many of us feel this way. Their is very little that I watch on VOOM.

bspei said:
It would be interesting to see how many of us feel this way. Their is very little that I watch on VOOM.

I'd bet it would be a large number...which is probably WHY E* did away with it as a seperate package.

For those that would like the National Geographic Channel instead of that Food HD channel. . .

The word on the street (rumors) is that National Geo HD is in contract talks.

BUT

The providers are telling them, that not very many of there customers want it and they they may add channels like FOOD HD channel instead because they think that is what there customers want.

As a result, the National Geo HD setup a web site and a 1-877 number so you can vote to say that you want it.
The National Geo Reps will then have charts and stats, showing that in fact the customer does want the National Geographic HD channel.

The web page only reports how many HITS they got. You can use a fake Email if you want.

The 1-877 records your Zip code and that you want the HD Channel. You can only vote once as all 1-800 numbers also record your caller id number even if its blocked.

Here is the link

http://getngc.cablesource.net/
Of this does not work use the main page to get to it
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/index.html

It will then give you the 1-877 number to call and VOTE to get National Geo HD.

Here is the phone # info I got
=========================
NGCHD
National Geographic Channel High Definition (NGCHD) is not currently offered by Dish Network. Please call 877-77NGCHD (877-776-4243) to request that NGCHD be added to your channel line-up!

Vote now

Last edited:
rglore said:
PBS HD would be real nice. My local puts it on subchannnel 4 so I don't get the guide info, have to go to the web for that.
Because of dropouts for OTA on leased 811, I went out and bought a separate OTA tuner. The latter used to display a guide for KET1,2,3,4 but now it frequently just says PBS programming when I scroll down past 6 PM, so I usually use the KET website also for guide info.

If E* ever adds PBS to HD lil, I sure hope they add the HD channel (KET4) instead of the SD channel (KET1).

Last edited:
ScottChez said:
It will then give you the 1-877 number to call and VOTE to get National Geo HD.

Here is the phone # info I got
=========================
NGCHD
National Geographic Channel High Definition (NGCHD) is not currently offered by Dish Network. Please call 877-77NGCHD (877-776-4243) to request that NGCHD be added to your channel line-up!

Vote now
I called as suggested and all it told me to do was call dish. Is there a specific number or web page to request additional channels at dish ?

E* did not decide to end Voom as a separate package. Voom did. They require all companies that sign on or renew to include it as part of their basic HD tier. Do a search, this has been discussed before.

navychop said:
E* did not decide to end Voom as a separate package. Voom did. They require all companies that sign on or renew to include it as part of their basic HD tier. Do a search, this has been discussed before.

Sorry, but I haven't kept up with the Voom discussion because I am not interested in their channels.

Otherwise, thanks for the info!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts