National PBS Gone

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
It appears there is no more National PBS on DISH. Perhaps PBS stopped the service they talked about it at the begining of the year. I wonder if DISH will import a PBS to those markets without one if PBS itself did drop the channel.

Reactions: pattykay
It appears there is no more National PBS on DISH. Perhaps PBS stopped the service they talked about it at the begining of the year. I wonder if DISH will import a PBS to those markets without one if PBS itself did drop the channel.

Wonder if there is any correlation here to the missing WPIX also?

FYI- National PBS itself isn’t gone. It’s still on FTA. National east and west feeds in HD + Create, World and Kids. On 125 W

Reactions: pattykay and Tampa8
Wonder if there is any correlation here to the missing WPIX also?

FYI- National PBS itself isn’t gone. It’s still on FTA. National east and west feeds in HD + Create, World and Kids. On 125 W

So the other possibility is DISH stopped the grandfathering of it but still has it for markets without one....

Reactions: pattykay
I wonder what Dish would do for Zanesville. They get most of their networks from Columbus anyway, so WOSU would be a possibility. On the other hand, Columbus's secondary PBS affiliate, WOUB (added to the Columbus DMA after a DMA boundary change a few years ago) actually used to have a low-power translator station in Zanesville. (Maybe they still do. It has been awhile since I checked.)

Reactions: Tampa8
I didn't know there was a national PBS on dish, I would have been watching it. What channel was it?

Channel 915. It was grandfathered for whoever had it prior to DISH ending it if they wanted to keep it for just anyone, and was in those markets without PBS.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Gone from my subscription as well

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I wonder what Dish would do for Zanesville. They get most of their networks from Columbus anyway, so WOSU would be a possibility. On the other hand, Columbus's secondary PBS affiliate, WOUB (added to the Columbus DMA after a DMA boundary change a few years ago) actually used to have a low-power translator station in Zanesville. (Maybe they still do. It has been awhile since I checked.)

Hey - that would be ME... I still see what seems to be the National Feed, currently a low res kids cartoon show. Will check prime time.

It would have been nice if they would have told us it was going away. I found out when my timers stopped working. I checked my last bill, it was still showing I was being charged for it, but when the autopay occurred it was less than the bill. See what the next bill says.

Well, PBS wants you to give money to your local PBS station(s). The local stations and PBS do not like the national feed.

Reactions: TheKrell
Well, PBS wants you to give money to your local PBS station(s). The local stations and PBS do not like the national feed.
Well, the problem with that is that my truly local PBS station (W43CZ Mansfield, Ohio - a low-power repeater of WOSU Columbus, Ohio) is not included in my satellite subscription because Mansfield is in the Cleveland DMA, and W43CZ is a low-power station that does not qualify for must-carry. Unfortunately, because it is a low-power station, and because my rooftop antenna must not be oriented in quite the right direction for that station, I do not reliably receive it OTA, either. So, why should I give money to a local affiliate that I do not actually receive most of the time, or give money to a more distant affiliate from Cleveland or Akron, just because Nielsen puts us in the same DMA?

I don’t care for my local PBS station, WETA, and rarely watch anything on it. But I’ve been tempted to send a few bucks to WMPT, which we watch at our RV. I’m surprised at how different their programming is.

I don’t care for my local PBS station, WETA, and rarely watch anything on it. But I’ve been tempted to send a few bucks to WMPT, which we watch at our RV. I’m surprised at how different their programming is.

Yes the various PBS stations vary widely in their programming. Tampa carries just about all the popular series and channels of PBS.

I love all the science programs, and the lack of commercials on public TV. Is WMPT the Baltimore ch22? I've been using that to record Nova and Nature, since Dish can't fix the WETA OTA guide issue on 26.1. :( But 22 is unreliable until I put up a better antenna. I have one I bought from Solid Signal in my garage for a year. :crying

HDB91X_zoom.jpg

Oklahoma PBS (OETA) and Create are a couple of my most watched channels. My only complaint is they occasionally don’t put some of the National shows on the main channel and they’re relegated to letterboxed SD on the OETA Okla subchannel. I usually miss stuff there as I skip over it in the guide right to Create.

Oklahoma PBS (OETA) and Create are a couple of my most watched channels. My only complaint is they occasionally don’t put some of the National shows on the main channel and they’re relegated to letterboxed SD on the OETA Okla subchannel. I usually miss stuff there as I skip over it in the guide right to Create.

IIRC, there’s a “sweet spot” zip code somewhere between Tulsa and OKC where you can get both DMA’s with Dish (ie, two PBS stations). Have you ever tried that?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I love all the science programs, and the lack of commercials on public TV. Is WMPT the Baltimore ch22? I've been using that to record Nova and Nature, since Dish can't fix the WETA OTA guide issue on 26.1. :( But 22 is unreliable until I put up a better antenna. I have one I bought from Solid Signal in my garage for a year. :crying

HDB91X_zoom.jpg

Near Marlowe WV (Hagerstown station) where we have our RV, MPT comes in on 31. I’m sure it’s the same programming as Baltimore (Annapolis) 22.

Nice antenna. I’d like to hear how it works for you.

Near Marlowe WV, where we have our RV, MPT comes in on 31.

I had that model. At my location, it performed nearly identical to the RCA ANT751R I am using now. And the RCA is 1/3 the size. I had better success using the RCA for UHF and a Stellar Labs dedicated VHF combined with the TVPRAMP1Z preamp. I ended up giving the Solid Signal antenna to a friend who lives at Lake of the Ozarks, where it’s working great for them.

I was afraid to put up a high gain antenna before, while WNVC was less than 2 mi away. But they went off the air on April 1, so I have no excuse for not installing it sooner.
I had that model. At my location, it performed nearly identical to the RCA ANT751R I am using now. And the RCA is 1/3 the size.

This pathetic-looking antenna that is even smaller than my current one? Where's your pride man? :D

ANT751R_1.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)