Native Resolution Pass Through (REVISITED)

For those of us with 4x3 HDTVs, this is a not an issue of what looks better, but how much of the screen actually gets used. I could care less whether my TV of the 622 was doing the scaling, or what I was seeing was 720p or 1080i (I can't tell the difference). The issue is for SD content. Since I have to tell the 622 to use 1080i or 720p, when a 480i signal comes through (SD), Dish still sends it through as 1080i (or 720p, whatever I set), which to my TV means 16x9 aspect ratio. So over the digital connections out of the 622 I cannot get a full-screen 4x3 signal. I have to switch my TV's input to S-Video in order to fill the screen. I get around this with a Harmony remote, but if the 622 passed the 480i SD signal, my TV would know to go to full 4x3 (instead of forcing black bars all the way around).

Not the TV

For those of us with 4x3 HDTVs, this is a not an issue of what looks better, but how much of the screen actually gets used. I could care less whether my TV of the 622 was doing the scaling, or what I was seeing was 720p or 1080i (I can't tell the difference). The issue is for SD content. Since I have to tell the 622 to use 1080i or 720p, when a 480i signal comes through (SD), Dish still sends it through as 1080i (or 720p, whatever I set), which to my TV means 16x9 aspect ratio. So over the digital connections out of the 622 I cannot get a full-screen 4x3 signal. I have to switch my TV's input to S-Video in order to fill the screen. I get around this with a Harmony remote, but if the 622 passed the 480i SD signal, my TV would know to go to full 4x3 (instead of forcing black bars all the way around).

The 16 X 9 is output by the receiver on any channel unless you go to non HD output of the 622. Your TV doesn't take a 4x3 picture and change it into 16x9. That is the signal that the set sees.

For those of us with 4x3 HDTVs...
Nothing personal - I'm sure you are a fine person.
But a 4x3 HDTV is not only a tiny fraction of TV sets, it's also just about pointless IMHO.
While I enjoy the 720p and 1080i resolutions, I have to say that 80% of the advantage of HDTV is 16x9.
Human eyes are spaced along a horizontal line, and our vision naturally includes quite a wide angle to left and right, and very little up and down.
If one owns a 4x3 HDTV, that is so unusual and non-standard, that you cannot expect anyone to do anything to accomodate you.

Nothing personal - I'm sure you are a fine person.
But a 4x3 HDTV is not only a tiny fraction of TV sets, it's also just about pointless IMHO.
While I enjoy the 720p and 1080i resolutions, I have to say that 80% of the advantage of HDTV is 16x9.
Human eyes are spaced along a horizontal line, and our vision naturally includes quite a wide angle to left and right, and very little up and down.
If one owns a 4x3 HDTV, that is so unusual and non-standard, that you cannot expect anyone to do anything to accomodate you.

I own a 4x3 HDTV a 36" direct view CRT
The digital Inputs switch to a 16x9.Screen
at about 33" So yes we are watching 16x9 hdtv
Even on sd When it should go to a Full 36"
Its a 4x3 in the 16x9 Screen and thats the problem
I switch to S-Video And 480P at 36"
Some of the SD channels Have very nice PQ at 480P
How many of you can say that
Also being a CRT it has more
then one native resolution So Yes I see that big of a difference?
native resolution on mine is 480I, 480P, 1080I
menu-6-8 IS A PAIN
CRT Are the whole point of native pass through
The rest of you just set it to your TV resolution
And forget it as Your TV will up convert or Down convert
To your Sets resolution Anyway
So hows 480i On my set at the 1080 4x3-2 setting it sucks
yet at 480p looks at times almost as good as C-band
And a dish HD channel at 1080I 16x9 is amazing

As far as Dish ever having native pass through
Don't think it will ever happen What about the flags
OTA sends a flag telling your tv if its 4x3 or 16x9
My tv then switchs screens And its Done right !
The 622 you have three choices no flags

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts