Native Resolution Pass Through

rdinkel said:
Yes, John:

In my case I would like 480i and 480p to pass through uncoverted by the Vip211, but I need 720p to be converted to 1080i, since my HDTV cannot accept 720p inputs. Or else, just leave it as is with everything being passed to the HDTV as 1080i.
Are you saying that if you set your 211 to output 720p you get no picture? Or does your TV up-convert the 720p picture to 1080i?

This is critical for those of us with 4x3 HDTVs. Right now when I'm tuned to an SD channel, it gets converted to 1080i and my TV (Sony XBR CRT) assumes that it is 16x9 so with SD content, I get black bars on all four sides. The only solution I've come up with is to switch to S-Video for SD content, but then that means I'm changing my TV's video input when I'm changing channels. Can't tell you how many times I've come into the room to see my wife watching HD content through S-Video or SD content all squished to 16x9 :).

With Native Passthrough I will always be able to use component (I like it better than HDMI) out of my 622 and never have to manually switch the video input. Can't wait!!

It would not surprise me if this update is delayed in order to develop a DVR fix that is designed to get TIVO out of Charlie's retirement fund.

I know I'm gonna kick myself in the ass for asking this but how do you think this will all work with the HD Lite reses?? I know my TV will take a 1920x1080i from my HTPC, 1440x1080i isn't an option for me to try so I don;t know that the TV will like that resolution. I'ld bet some picky HD sets won't take those reses or choke some how and show horizontally compressed images.

It's been a couple of months, so I thought I'd bump this back into the active discussion. Has anyone heard of when this native passthrough might be coming? Ever? Thanks.

During various discussions on this subject I have asked Scott to ask some of his contacts if this update is still planned, and if it is why has it taken so long to implement. So far he has not responded.

I know I'm gonna kick myself in the ass for asking this but how do you think this will all work with the HD Lite reses?? I know my TV will take a 1920x1080i from my HTPC, 1440x1080i isn't an option for me to try so I don;t know that the TV will like that resolution. I'ld bet some picky HD sets won't take those reses or choke some how and show horizontally compressed images.

The set will still see the standard resolution of 1280x720 or 1920x1080. The decoder chip takes care of that automatically.

Cheers,

Any update on this? I'm now very interested in this feature as my 1080p set displays 720p content much better when fed 720p than with the box outputting 1080i.

I am currently corresponding with E* tech support regarding Dan Minnick's comment that native resolution pass through would be available by summer of 2006. I will post a transcript of those conversations, you won't believe some of the responses I have received, when I finally get an answer to my questions.

Last edited:
format recognition time in TV

I too would like to see this option as the 480 to 1080 (or 720) conversion in the 622 is pretty bad. However I wonder how long it's going to take the TV to recognize a format change and addapt. I already wait about 5 seconds for the TV to recognize the constant 1080i signal when switching to that input. I can see it taking twice that when switching to a channel with a different format.

m
I was wondering about this and wasn't sure if I would be better off setting the 622 to 480p since my TV is 1080p or just leaving it on 720p?? I've had it set to 1080i for a majority of the time but tried 720p and really didn't notice that much of a difference. Probably a horse a piece.

well just remember that some 1080i TV's are native 720p that accept 1080i and down convert it.

but still it would be better that the TV do all the work and no the 622.

e..b

Sorry for months-late response: I get blank/flashing screen if I try to input 720P.

I think there's something wrong with your TV. I've never heard of an HDTV that will not accept 720p signals. That would be a crazily bad product to try to sell. ESPN, ABC, and FOX are all on 720p.

This is actually a huge issue with me and may be a show-stopper for my thoughts about installing E*. If D* has this capability I may have to go with them. I have a 1080p HDTV and it's pretty good about doing the conversions. I don't want the STB to do them.

I'm currently on TWC which does have this native passthru capability. In fact, in HDMI mode, it's the only way it does it. This is a SA 8300HD STB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)