NBC HD is sooooo bad that.......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

boston area dtv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 18, 2005
Boston
NBC HD is sooo bad that for the second night in a row there is a screen that says no need to call us we know your station is temporarily unavailable.

It was on during the football game last night. Now heroes tonight.

The picture started out awful and pixilated and now D* seems to have given up.

As for the questions..I have the H20, 5LNB dish and Im in boston.

Anyone else have the same issue?

boston area dtv said:
NBC HD is sooo bad that for the second night in a row there is a screen that says no need to call us we know your station is temporarily unavailable.

It was on during the football game last night. Now heroes tonight.

I had none of these issues with the football game last night, I am not watching NBC at the moment, I have the MNF game on currently.

Was you trouble isolated to a D* issue, network , local ?
It doesn't appear to be a network issue seeing I didn't have the trouble.
Was this a Mpeg2 or 4 situation ?

Jimbo

boston area dtv said:

It is viewable in the Orlando market, no serious pixelation problems tonight, but no where as clean as the OTA signal from the same channel.

lou_do said:
It is viewable in the Orlando market, no serious pixelation problems tonight, but no where as clean as the OTA signal from the same channel.
He didn't mention if the signal was comming from D*'s sats or OTA , I am veiwing with the OTA antenna as usual.
I guessing that it is a MPEG4 signal that is pixilating on him.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
I had none of these issues with the football game last night, I am not watching NBC at the moment, I have the MNF game on currently.

Was you trouble isolated to a D* issue, network , local ?
It doesn't appear to be a network issue seeing I didn't have the trouble.
Was this a Mpeg2 or 4 situation ?

Jimbo

Im flipping between the game and Heroes. I believe its D* but not sure how to tell if its MPEG 2 or 4. All the white screen says is

No need to cal us-
We are aware that this TV station is temporarily unavaillable...
We'll hve this channel back as quickly as possible
Sorry for the interuption

The SD version comes in fine

boston area dtv said:
Im flipping between the game and Heroes. I believe its D* but not sure how to tell if its MPEG 2 or 4. All the white screen says is

No need to cal us-
We are aware that this TV station is temporarily unavaillable...
We'll hve this channel back as quickly as possible
Sorry for the interuption

The SD version comes in fine
If you go to your guide on the H-20 I think you can choose between watching in MPEG2 or 4, This is how I understand the box to work, I do not have a H-20 so I cannot verify. I thought I was told that there was different channel guides for each format... So I think it would look like channel 4 (analog) 4.1 (mpeg 2) 4.1 ( Mpeg 4) ect., If this is the case try viewing on the mpeg 2 version and see if it is any better.

Jimbo

I was watching the SEA vs. CHI on NBC last night via an OTA antenna and the HD quality was awful.

The problem had nothing to do with D*. You can put this quality issue 100% on the shoulders of NBC.

Under guide it lists WHDH and BN7 as the NBC stations (same station one is HD the other SD). Im unfamiliar with choosing between mpeg2 or 4 so if there is someone else on here let me know how to please.

BTW studio 60 is now showing fine on the same NBC station.

boston area dtv said:
Under guide it lists WHDH and BN7 as the NBC stations (same station one is HD the other SD). Im unfamiliar with choosing between mpeg2 or 4 so if there is someone else on here let me know how to please.

See this thread, basically you let earl (ebonovic) know and he will pass it on:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=77443

I do not know if/how you can do it on the box itself, or maybe you mean which channels are which manually, in which case someone here will tell you, I do not know myself, should be in the users guide, found here: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/downloadPage.jsp?assetId=1100066

Last edited:
boston area dtv said:

On the H20 Guide, if you see the channel listed as WHDH (or what ever the call letters are) it is your MPG4 HD signal. If you see it listed as WHDH 7-1, it will be your OTA HD signal. If you see something like BN7, it will be your SD MPG2 signal.

Last edited:
The boston mpeg4s were a joke with technical issues to begin with, I was hoping they were fixing the slow motion issues (as well as the pixelation on cbs) but no such luck. This may be one of the last straws for me.

Questioner said:
The boston mpeg4s were a joke with technical issues to begin with, I was hoping they were fixing the slow motion issues (as well as the pixelation on cbs) but no such luck. This may be one of the last straws for me.

Both issues need to be fixed SOON. Especially if they are going to take away my DNS HD locals.

fkostyn said:
I didn't have a problem watching via Mpeg4 n Phoenix AZ (hero's)
For some reason, the Boston area has had trouble from the start.
Detroit had trouble in the beginning,but that has been remidied.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
For some reason, the Boston area has had trouble from the start.
Detroit had trouble in the beginning,but that has been remidied.

Jimbo

When they first fired up the Orlando market, it was a very jittery and pixelized. It has slowly been improving, but still has a ways to go to be as good as the OTA locals. For some reason the RSN HD games, on 96, are a lot cleaner and better than the regular network locals.

lou_do said:
When they first fired up the Orlando market, it was a very jittery and pixelized. It has slowly been improving, but still has a ways to go to be as good as the OTA locals. For some reason the RSN HD games, on 96, are a lot cleaner and better than the regular network locals.
The RSN's are fiber I am sure, The networks could be OTA still I suppose, anyways, different ways of transmitting the signal between the two.

Jimbo

See here in Boston NESN HD is a joke.. baseball is almost unwatchable. Every movement looks like its shot with an old 35mm camera..jittery jittery. Im interested to see how Hockey translates in HD when the Bruins kick off.

What I think is really wild is when the Pats play. Last sunday the local affilitate feed was jittery..but on Sunday Ticket HD channel 727 it looked perfect.

Hockey will look worse I am afraid. The only part that will look halfway decent are closeups when the players are skating slowly.

Basketball will be stinky too if they launch fsn part time for the celtics in time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)