NBC-HD: XXVIII Summer Olympics : Soccer, Track and Field, Basketball, & Diving 8/29

When asked if he was willing to have medal gold by olympic comittee? Paul said no way... this is what I meant by taking the "high road".

I would say I've only actually watched 45 minutes of the Olympics, but I keep up a little in the paper. This whole Hamm thing is why I don't think Gymnastics, Figure Skating, Diving, etc. are sports. Are they competitions? Yes. Are the competitiors athletes? Very much so. But the subjective nature by which winners are determined is very suspicious. The most amazing thing I've seen is the white guy who won the 400m. No white American has won an Olympic sprint since '64, and I never thought it would happen again.

As far as NBC, that's why I don't watch. I cannot stand human interest stories. But I don't mind US-centric coverage. It's always been this way since the Olympics have been on TV. The reason other countries don't focus on the home team like US television does is b/c their home countries aren't competitive in every sport like the US is. Of course NHK will cover track different than NBC, just like Chinese TV will cover table tennis (an Asian Dominated sport) much differently than NBC (if NBC even covered table tennis).

Bravo covered table tennis...

The whole gymnastics thing makes the Koreans IMO look like whiney cry babies. Having a start value of 10.0 did not mean his final score would have been a full .1 higher. (Beating Hamm by what? .02 or something insane?). At the same time the day before the competition this Japanese judge decided that some move was going to be rated lower, got all the judges to agree with him, and the US team had to alter their routines. Low and behold the JAPANESE won gold in team finals. It was crappy but they moved on, the Koreans were good they just have to accept the fact they got beat, and are #2 and #3 in the world respectively and shut the hell up already.

The South Koreans really have some bad Olympic history with the US.

1. Worst thing I ever saw in any Olympics was 1988 Seoul where Roy Jones Jr. lost the decision on a fight that he so clearly dominated. Victory awarded to South Korean. There had been a brawl a few days earlier b/c fans thought a South Korean boxer should have won a match. Lots of people said it was b/c judges were afraid of another brawl. Everyone who saw this fight thinks it was one of the biggest shams in the history of boxing, and that's saying something.

2. In World Cup game. South Korean soccer guy celebrates by mimmicking speed-skating, referencing DQ of Korean skater that gave Appolo Ono the gold. I thought that DQ was weak, but there was contact. Still, it's some sort of national obsession with not letting things go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts