NBC Olympic coverage picture quality

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wparrott

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Roanoke Rapids, NC
Hi everyone,

Please forgive me if this topic is in the wrong area. I've been watching the Olympics on my 522 and have noticed that the picture quality is not very good, especially the outdoor events. I have Charter cable here as well and the picture looks similar (local networks on cable really stink compared to Dish).

Just wondering if it's me or has anyone else noticed?

Thanks,

William

I've been watching the events in HD using an 811 and an OTA antenna. It looks absolutely awesome. There have been some audio and video glitches, but that is a problem with the local NBC network.

Reception was very bad here. Picture freezing, drop outs, you name it. The station blamed weather out of NYC. Everytime they have problems they throw this excuse out.

I have been watching the same problems on my local station as provided by D*. UHD looks fine to me as well. I can't compare to OTA HD signals though.

Ted

I'm watching the NASCAR qualifying on NBC now and seeing the same thing. The car's hoods and trunk lids have a green 'speckled' effect. Last night the uniforms of the ski jumpers had the same thing. Both my cable and the SD sat. pictures have the same effect. I thought it could be my TV but I'm seeing it on 4 different sets (1 Pana. 50" LCD proj., one standard tube set, and 2 20" LCD monitors). :(
I was going to call Dish to complain, but figured it wouldn't do much good.

ncted,

I'm in Roanoke Rapids and get NBC-17 out of Durham as my NBC local from Dish. My local cable gets the NBC feed from WITN out of Greenville. Same picture problems from both.

If its anything like mine its because NBC does multicasting, which SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! my picture is not as sharp as it could be, and I dont know why but i hear tons of popping on their audio!

Only the video from the sites in Torino is actually being originated in true HD (hockey, skating, etc.). All of the video from the mountain areas such as the snow boarding is being up-converted from widescreen SD. Our local DFW station blamed all of the problems on Saturday night on the weather conditions in New York where the HD signal is up-linked. The half-pipe looked almost as bad in HD as the SD, a lot of compression artifacts.

Last edited:
caam1 said:
Only the video from the sites in Torino is actually being originated in true HD (hockey, skating, etc.). All of the video from the mountain areas such as the snow boarding is being up-converted from widescreen SD. Our local DFW station blamed all of the problems on Saturday night on the weather conditions in New York where the HD signal is up-linked. The half-pipe looked almost as bad in HD as the SD, a lot of compression artifacts.

The chick's half-pipe is aired tonight. It'll be interesting to compare. USA Gold and Silver, just like the guy's!!

I started watching the games on sat (D*) and have seen what everyone has posting about too. But last night I hooked up a new OTA HD antenna and it looks so much better, even the half pipe event cleared up. It's an outside antenna but I have it on the floor in the living room and it's awesome. Can't wait to see what happens when I take it outside this weekend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts