NBC Shutting Down NBCSN

'At the beginning of the pandemic NBCSN was in around 80 million homes and had a sub fee a bit above $.40, meaning it was making NBC ~$400 million annually before advertising is taken into account'
That is what NBC are walking away from. It was also the No2 ranked sports channel in 2020 after ESPN. Beggars belief.
Could they not air sports simultaneously on NBCSN and Peacock. Best if both worlds like they do in the UK? Streaming and cable covered.

At the beginning of the pandemic NBCSN was in around 80 million homes and had a sub fee a bit above $.40, meaning it was making NBC ~$400 million annually before advertising is taken into account'
That doesn't mean that was all profit though. There is a cost to provide that programming.

Reactions: Bobby
This is kind of surprising they are shutting it down. What it says is NBC channels are struggling. They're taking some of the content off the sports channel and putting it on USA. USA used to be a good channel - produced some very good original programming and had a good audience. Then Comcast bought NBC - and USA came with it, and well, Comcast cut all that out. So no doubt that they're struggling. And now the streamers....too many platforms to run here.

'At the beginning of the pandemic NBCSN was in around 80 million homes and had a sub fee a bit above $.40, meaning it was making NBC ~$400 million annually before advertising is taken into account'
That is what NBC are walking away from. It was also the No2 ranked sports channel in 2020 after ESPN. Beggars belief.
Could they not air sports simultaneously on NBCSN and Peacock. Best if both worlds like they do in the UK? Streaming and cable covered.
FOX Sports 1 is much bigger than NBCSN ever was. Obviously the channel was unprofitable, especially with all the canceled sporting events.

There doesn't appear to be any mention of what happens to the NBC Sports RSNs - like NBC Sports Philadelphia.

And I agree with PortlandChris in a previous post. There are getting to be too many of these streaming platforms.

Reactions: pattykay
There doesn't appear to be any mention of what happens to the NBC Sports RSNs - like NBC Sports Philadelphia.

And I agree with PortlandChris in a previous post. There are getting to be too many of these streaming platforms.
Nothing is happening with the RSN's or any of the other NBC properties, at least not right now.

Reactions: ttomni6
I'm willing to say FOX Sports 1 will take over NASCAR next year since they have half of the circuit any way.
Both Fox and NBC are currently under contract for NASCAR through 2024 season, so unless the find a way to back out early, sounds like the NBC portion will get split between the mothership and USA. I wouldn't be surprised if IMSA gets pushed mainly to Peacock, as I'm sure it doesn't pull the ratings that NASCAR or even IndyCar does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)