NBC Wrong Size

JBRecording

Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
Hey all

Here's one that's got me stumped... for some reason, certain programs on NBC (I think it's the ones that are broadcast in 16x9 or HD ?? ) come in incorrectly. The commercials look fine, then during the show, it starts with the black bars on the top and bottom (like a widescreen dvd), then the bars go away and the picture zooms into the center section, chopping off the left and right sides of the image. This happens when I watch Saturday Night Live, I'm watching the Poseidon Adventure right now and this is happening right now. The NBC symbol on the bottom right is about 80 percent chopped off. It's most annoying. I'd spoken to Dish, and they said that the problem is with the local provider. I sent a message to them on their website, but don't know if it will be effective. I tried chaning the settings on my DVR, the picture size choices were 16x9 or 4:3, I have a Toshiba 27" TV that isn't widescreen, so the 4:3 is the right option for me, but changing the options didn't seem to do anything.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

~JB

Ok, well to start, what model receiver are you using, what DVR are you using, and who is your local affiliate?

Also, since your tv is a 4:3, you need everything set on 4:3 (there may be a ZOOM feature on your tv, not sure, you need to check it!)

JBRecording said:
Hey all

Here's one that's got me stumped... for some reason, certain programs on NBC (I think it's the ones that are broadcast in 16x9 or HD ?? ) come in incorrectly. The commercials look fine, then during the show, it starts with the black bars on the top and bottom (like a widescreen dvd), then the bars go away and the picture zooms into the center section, chopping off the left and right sides of the image. This happens when I watch Saturday Night Live, I'm watching the Poseidon Adventure right now and this is happening right now. The NBC symbol on the bottom right is about 80 percent chopped off. It's most annoying. I'd spoken to Dish, and they said that the problem is with the local provider. I sent a message to them on their website, but don't know if it will be effective. I tried chaning the settings on my DVR, the picture size choices were 16x9 or 4:3, I have a Toshiba 27" TV that isn't widescreen, so the 4:3 is the right option for me, but changing the options didn't seem to do anything.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

~JB

NBC's programs that are broadcast in HD are broadcast in "letterbox" format in SD. Everyone who watches Leno, Conan or SNL using a SD receiver will see the black bars.

I know it's got nothing to do with my TV b/c the only thing that is problematic is the actual show. soon as it goes to commercial, the picture is normal. it's also weird because when the program goes to commercial, soon as it fades to black, there's a digital pop in the audio.

I have the 510 model DVR, my local affiliate is WISE-33 NBC, I am in Fort Wayne Indiana.

JBRecording said:
I know it's got nothing to do with my TV b/c the only thing that is problematic is the actual show. soon as it goes to commercial, the picture is normal. it's also weird because when the program goes to commercial, soon as it fades to black, there's a digital pop in the audio.

I have the 510 model DVR, my local affiliate is WISE-33 NBC, I am in Fort Wayne Indiana.

There is no problem. Everything is behaving exactly as it is supposed to behave. You have a SD receiver. NBC programs that are broadcast in HD are broadcast in "letterbox" format in SD (such as Leno, Conan, SNL, etc). If you have a SD receiver, you see the "letterbox" format on your screen because SD receivers are supposed to be connected to a regular TV. The commercials are not broadcast in "letterbox" so that's why you see the difference. As I said, the behavior is completely normal. It cannot be changed and nothing you do will make it go away. It's the same effect when you watch a widescreen DVD on a regular TV: it's presented in letterbox.

I am aware of that.

The problem is, the program starts (after each commercial break) as letterbox then the bars go away and the image goes full screen, but the right and left sides are chopped off. I know for a fact that should not be happening.

JBRecording said:
I am aware of that.

The problem is, the program starts (after each commercial break) as letterbox then the bars go away and the image goes full screen, but the right and left sides are chopped off. I know for a fact that should not be happening.

You've changed the settings on your TV, or at least that's what it appears that you've done.

it does this automatically, I don't touch a thing. Why would I degrate the quality of my picture only during the program, even at all

JBRecording said:
it does this automatically, I don't touch a thing. Why would I degrate the quality of my picture only during the program, even at all

If I read all of this correctly, you're saying that when the program starts, it zooms in and the sides are chopped off, right? If so, that is NOT a problem with your affiliate, DISH, or your receiver; it's a problem with your TV. Try rdinkel's suggestion.

my Tv does not have such an option for auto 16x9 etc, it has a 16x9 mode that if I engage it just shrinks the picture but doesn't fix the issue... good idea though

JBRecording said:
I am sending my signal into my TV via the S-Video input. You don't think that makes a difference right?

Probably not. Your TV definitely has that option somewhere. It's obvious that your TV is automatically re-sizing the picture. Of course, I guess it's possible that there is no option to turn it off and it will just do it regardless but that seems unlikely.

I checked the options on my remote, and the menu, didn't look like something like that existed... i'm going to look again

JBRecording said:
nothing like that on the remote.

Do you happen to know the model number of your TV? If not, is it a VCR/DVD combo Flat Screen (not flat panel) TV?

Guys, you got him chasing stuff that he doesnt need to be doing.. Its not his tv, dish, or his nbc affiliate. Its the NBC NATIONAL FEED that goes out to all the affiliates... heres the deal.... someone at NBC when a program starts leaves in in standard definition - high def mode... ( I have noticed this too except on my hdtv I get the postage stamp) black bars on all sides! (942 in single user mode) The program plays as it should... then after the first commercial either the switcher automatically kicks in or someone hits a button.. for the sd feed you get the 4:3 full screen that you would normaly see. For the hd sets you get the full hd 16:9 picture. For some reason NBC is big on doing this. Its not your tv.. its just normal for nbc. For some reason NBC just likes doing that as on my SD tv's (510) and 2 (311'S) I will get the letterbox like you see then when the program switches to high def.. letter box gone.. Note: there are some programs on NBC HD that will display letter box on 4:3 tv's the entire time. This is the life of the digital era as we know it and get used to it because its not going away any time soon. The only way that you would be able to get rid of those letterboxed programming is to upgrade to an hdtv and hope that your local nbc affilate is braudcasting in hd. :) Its completly normal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts