NBC's Friday Night Lights Returns For Second Season After Low Ratings In 1st Season

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I liked the show and watched every episode. When I heard that it got low ratings and would most likely get cancelled I thought "here we go again, another show I get into gets canned" but to my surprise they said they were going to return it because they do not cancel all their shows that do not do well in the first season but see it as an investment in that it will grow into a successful show. It is also said that the show does not cost much money to produce so that was an influencing decision.

Information about this decision is located at the link below:

iF Magazine

Great show. NBC said they were going to renew it at the end of the season. It is moved to Friday. Goes up against "Numbers" on CBS.

S~

Last edited:
I love the show, but I really have to be in the mood to watch it. Always DVR'd, but might be on the HD for a couple weeks before I watch it.

S~

I think some shows takes a little while to get into it while others gets you right into it the first time you watch it. Kyle Chandler that plays the coach used to be on a show on CBS called Early Edition and I really liked that show and thought it should have been around longer. They cancel too many good shows these days but I am glad this one is given another chance. I think there should be a channel or two where cancelled shows go to in order to live on.

Another thing they should think about is this, even if the show has low ratings but it gets good reviews then it may do really well in syndication and perhaps more money could be made that way than when the episodes first aired.

My guess is it is going to Friday night to die.

It won't beat Numb3rs in the ratings. If anything the battle will be between FNL and Men in trees. But Trees picked up some ratings when it got the post-Greys slot for the second half of the season last year.

I watched every episode during the season. I got my wife interested for about the last 6 episodes. We are now watching the entire season on DVD and the wife told me last night that she thought it was the best series of all of last season. This from a Desperate Housewives devotee......

I underatand that NBC was pretty concerned about the bad ratings for the few shows they put on Friday over the summer. I would expect an early pink slip if it does not improve. I liked the show though.

Maybe if they would air the show around the time of another current hit show then it would help the ratings by getting more people to see it.

Maybe if they would air the show around the time of another current hit show then it would help the ratings by getting more people to see it.

Last year it was on Tuesday; at a time, if I recall properly anyway, where there wasn't a lot of big-time competition, and it did horrible.

I just checked my ratings' thread. FNL started on Mondays, and then moved to Tuesdays. It competed against different shows each week; sometimes NCIS, sometimes Dancing with the Stars; Standoff on Fox.

It usually was 2nd or 3rd. Sometimes 4th.

FNL had one monday showing in studio 60's slot and did alright. it spent most of the season on wednesday's at 8. now, it has the friday night 9pm slot, which is better than going against my beloved numb3rs!

My guess is it is going to Friday night to die.

It won't beat Numb3rs in the ratings.

That's too bad. I love Friday Night Lights and Numb3rs sucks. I watched the whole first season because I'm big Rob Morrow fan from Northern Exposure but it's just boring so I gave it up once I got the dish (before all I had to choose from was the local network programming).

It might be one of those "filler" shows that will go on when there is another popular show on that they dont think they can compete well with. The article does say that the show is cheap to make. I think the show could do well, maybe better even, in syndication or to be aired in the future as repeats on another cable channel.

love the show....and Lyla Garrity is one fine cheerleader

I echo that thought.

Actually that's probably one of the fringe benefits of this show, all the eye candy. Lyla, Tyra, and Coach Taylor's wife (who actually was also in the FNL movie as well) are all are nice to look at. :)

The eye candy sure helps, thats part of the peices of the puzzle that can make a great show along with the acting and storylines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)