NCAA Football 2008-09 Season

Hart5150

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 27, 2004
Temple, Pa
7?? You are ignorant. You must be from Florida, that inability to count might explain Meyer's need to run up scores....he doesn't know how many he needs. You do realize that split national titles count...they didn't take those polls because they had nothing better to do. And we aren't even including the ones in the 60's and 70's that Alabama was screwed out of. Yes, my little jealous Gator fan, the number is 12....for another 5 weeks.

Actually, Alabama has won only 7 outright National Championships. These are the ones which they actually won the National Championship game. Not how many votes they got. The years were 1925, 1930, 1945, 1961, 1965, 1979, and 1992. In 1926, they tied with Stanford in the Rose Bowl. In 1978, there was a 3-way tie between Alabama, USC, and Oklahoma. All three teams won a bowl game but there is no indication which one was the national championship game.

Wow 2 since everyone could play, I am very impressed.:rolleyes:

Didn't see Tulane on your list. Man, they are tough.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Well, excuse me if I actually like to see teams that can MOVE THE FOOTBALL.

The SEC has given me three of the dullest football games I've ever seen in my life this year:

Vanderbilt/Mississippi State, Auburn/Tennessee, and the Auburn/Mississippi State 3-2 pitcher's duel.

I want to see a football game where both teams will score at least 60 points combined, not 6!

I prefer a game where there is great D and offense as well.
60 points is NO D and 3-2 is NO O ...

Jimbo

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Thank God Oregon St. lost yesterday, now we don't have to go through the most ridiculous bowl match-up of all time.

Now it opens a spot for Ohio State, pretty interesting if the matched them up with Cincinnati.

My Bowl projections.

MNC Game

Florida vs. Oklahoma

Fiesta

Ohio State vs Cincinnati

Sugar

Texas vs. Alabama

Orange

BC vs. Utah

Rose

PSU vs USC

I would prefer a Boise/Utah match up in the Fiesta, but that is not going to happen. Sucks!

I saw a possibility of Ohio State and Texas in the Fiesta bowl earlier today.

kev1782

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2007
Wow, you are either very deluded, or very biased, Hart. In 1926, the exact same organizations that named Bama national champs in '25 named them champs in '26. I don't know where you get the idea that Bama didn't win the title that year. Bama split the title with Minnesota in '34. Or does neither team get to claim that one? I'm confused. Same thing in '41. They won the AP national title in '64, you forgot that one. '73 was another split title. '78 was yet another AP number one national championship season...do you not recognize AP champions?? By the way, Alabama doesn't claim 4 national championships that some organizations give them. One of those season is the '45 season you mentioned as being one of the 7. '75, '66, '62, and '45 are all seasons that Bama was credited with a national title from someone, yet we don't list those seasons. So I don't really understand your pointless criticism, or inconsistent arguments. And I don't understand what the "all whites" and "everyone can play" comments have to do with anything. There are no fewer than 4, and I'd like to see another school with many more...

Hart5150

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 27, 2004
Temple, Pa
Wow, you are either very deluded, or very biased, Hart. In 1926, the exact same organizations that named Bama national champs in '25 named them champs in '26. I don't know where you get the idea that Bama didn't win the title that year. Bama split the title with Minnesota in '34. Or does neither team get to claim that one? I'm confused. Same thing in '41. They won the AP national title in '64, you forgot that one. '73 was another split title. '78 was yet another AP number one national championship season...do you not recognize AP champions?? By the way, Alabama doesn't claim 4 national championships that some organizations give them. One of those season is the '45 season you mentioned as being one of the 7. '75, '66, '62, and '45 are all seasons that Bama was credited with a national title from someone, yet we don't list those seasons. So I don't really understand your pointless criticism, or inconsistent arguments. And I don't understand what the "all whites" and "everyone can play" comments have to do with anything. There are no fewer than 4, and I'd like to see another school with many more...

You have as many legit NC's as Florida. 2

I don't care about your white hood championships.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
I'm not getting into this arguement you guys are having, but I ask one question.
Before Saban got to Alabama, Where was Alabama the last 20 years ?
Florida's been pretty consistant in that time frame.

Jimbo

Hart5150

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 27, 2004
Temple, Pa
I'm not getting into this arguement you guys are having, but I ask one question.
Before Saban got to Alabama, Where was Alabama the last 20 years ?
Florida's been pretty consistant in that time frame.

Jimbo

Actually since 1990(the year Spurrier started coaching them), Florida has the best Record in college football. Pretty good considering Zook.

They did have some decent years before that, not that many though. The Galen Hall years were Ok.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Here we go again.....typical bashing of Bamas championships. It usually happens when they are about win another one, or any time another team feels threatened. Florida has a good team, who cares what Bama claims? Or anyone else for that matter? Also, did I see a little racist claim somewhere in there? Wouldnt that apply to EVERYONE that claims one before a specific time? :rolleyes: What do you want to do, wipe them all out for everyone?

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Gee, all you Bama fans,
Now you know how I felt the last several years fighting for a little respect, except this is two SEC teams now.

Jimbo

Haha yeah, the difference is, we havent really been relevant for years, now that we are, our PAST chanpionships are questioned. Its a weak argument IMHO

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Haha yeah, the difference is, we havent really been relevant for years, now that we are, our PAST chanpionships are questioned. Its a weak argument IMHO

I agree,
I don't dispute any past champions.
I was rooting for Alabama and Saban earlier in the year, now that Florida is in it with Urban, I don't know who to root for anymore.
Both coaches I like and both coached here or right down the road not to long ago.
Saban at Toledo and Meyer at Bowling Green ...... what to do, what to do , I don't know, maybe I'll just WATCH IT ...

Jimbo

toto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 29, 2003
Oklahoma was beat by Texas in Dallas. Several years ago somebody told those Okies it was neutral territory. Now those are good and gentle folk that beleive in apple pie, the flag, truth and honesty. If a Texan says Dallas is a neutral field then it must be. TT beat Texas on the last play of their home field. How about them Jayhawks!:D

BlackHitachi

Medford Oregon
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2003
Medford, Oregon
Oklahoma was beat by Texas in Dallas. Several years ago somebody told those Okies it was neutral territory. Now those are good and gentle folk that beleive in apple pie, the flag, truth and honesty. If a Texan says Dallas is a neutral field then it must be. TT beat Texas on the last play of their home field. How about them Jayhawks!:D
The reason why it's neutral is exactly half are Oklahoma fans. Hence the neural sight. What is a jayhawk?

kev1782

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2007
Before Spurrier went to Florida, the Gators were never relevant. Bama has been down for the past 10 years or so, but that has as much to do with NCAA scholarship reductions as anything. Which, by the way, were more severe than the sanctions called for, but that's another story. So you tell me another program that could recover as quickly as Bama has. There lies the relevance of Bama. Notre Dame is god-awful, and they've done it to themselves. Same with Michigan. Florida State has been bad for several years now. Add Miami to that list of teams that have slipped in the past 20 years. How about Nebraska for a team that isn't what it was a few years ago? Every team has down cycles. Florida is enjoying their first good run. And "legit" national championships at 2...? So, no one before the de-segregation of college athletics should claim national championships? Do you hold that argument for the World Series in baseball? How about the NBA titles that were won before black athletes? Should the Celtics not claim some of their titles before black athletes played for them?? How stupid is that argument. Really, I thought Auburn fans could figure out ways to discount Bama's tradition like no one else. But even they don't try to say their pathetic single national title is only one less than Bama has. That's ok, though, Hart. You're relatively new to this whole being talked about nationally thing. We've been in this position countless times. We'll chalk your circular reasoning, hate comments, and personal attacks up to enthusiasm for your team....and an inexperience on how to handle that enthusiasm.

The Insider

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 9, 2008
The Swamp
12-0 is impressive, thanks for proving my point, Hart. But really, both of your national championships have been after having to beg for a chance to play for it. Remember '96, after losing to Florida State, and begging to play them again?? Remember how in '06, Meyer spent 2 weeks screaming at the top of his lungs about the BCS?? You're right, your 2 national championships against our 12 isn't relevant. Try going undefeated every once in a while, it helps not to have to rely on whining and crying to get into the championship games. But I digress. All of those scores that you so ardently point to were Bama victories. I wish I could say the same for the Gators....

Meyer has been screaming about the BCS since day one. Its no secret he is a big playoff supporter. He prefers his team should win a championship on the field, not based on polls.

And what happend both those years FLA had to beg the polls to get into the title game? They KILLED their challanger and won the title.

The SEC is down this year, everyone knows it ESPN finnally admitted it to. So Alabama went undefeated good for them :) It was still a big accomplishment, but what team have they played that matched the caliber of FLA? (The same can be said about FLA, they have not played a team to match Alabama.) So this game will be the biggest challange this year so far for both teams. Cant wait :) You can say well FLA lost to ole miss whom Alabama beat, but really. Does anyone beleive ole miss could do it again? Hell Alabama had to go into overtime to beat LSU and FLA wiped the field with them.

kev1782

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2007
And anyone who claims that the Texas-Oklahoma game isn't neutral is mistaken. Norman is 5 miles closer to Dallas than Austin is. Exactly half of the tickets are given to each team to sell. I live in Fort Worth, and I've seen how many Oklahoma fans drive down I-35 and US-75 to come to this game. Some years, I've seen more Oklahoma flags driving down the road than Longhorn flags. There are already a huge number of Sooner fans in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, so not all Sooner fans have to travel to get to the game. It's amazing how many Sooner fans and Longhorn fans get into fights at bars in downtown Dallas that weekend. It's always a fun weekend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts