NCAA Football 2008-09 Season

From the BCS website:

A bowl choosing a replacement team may not select any of the following:

A. A team in the NCG;
B. The host team for another BCS Bowl;
C. When two bowls lose host teams, then the bowl losing the number one team may not select a replacement team from the same conference as the number two team, unless the bowl losing the number two team consents.

Its the last one on why you will not see a Alabama/Texas matchup. Either the Sugar or Fiesta (which it would be the Sugar assuming FL is #2) would have to agree to take the lower bowl opponent.

So, If OU is #1 and Fl is #2........

Fiesta gets the first pick.....Look who is eligible:

Utah, Ohio state, Boise State, Cincinnati, and TCU. No Bama unless the Sugar allows it. No Texas tech cause of the 2 conf rule.

So if you are the Fiesta and want the best match up (and most bang for your buck), who would you pick?

So Fiesta will take OSU.

Sugar gets next pick....... with OSU being picked, they are stuck with only these choices: Utah or Cinn. (To take Texas, Fiesta would have to allow it; in which they would probably demand Bama in return :) )

Now....If the final BCS standings has FL at #1.....then we are looking at a BAMA/OSU match up. Highly doubt that sugar would take BSU or TCU after having Hawaii last year.

You've kind of got it right, but kind of wrong. You are missing the point that the order of the bowls picking (based on the final BCS standings) affects their replacement picks for teams lost to the BCS championship. After the 2 replacement picks for the bowls losing teams to the championship, the order this year is Fiesta then Sugar then Orange (basically, the bowl hosting the championship picks last, the one that hosted last year is second to last, and the other bowl picks before that). Assuming a BCS championship matchup of #1 Oklahoma and #2 Florida, you get bowl selections like this:

1. Fiesta (as a replacement for losing #1 Oklahoma)
2. Sugar (as a replacement for losing #2 Florida)
3. Fiesta
4. Sugar
5. Orange

Were Florida to finish #1 and Oklahoma #2, the picks would go:

1. Sugar
2. Fiesta
3. Fiesta
4. Sugar
5. Orange

So, given that scenario #1 is likely (Oklahoma as #1), you'll probably see the following picks:

1. Fiesta - Texas
2. Sugar - Alabama
3. Fiesta - Ohio State
4. Sugar - Utah
5. Orange - Cincinnati

The consenting you are talking about would prevent the Fiesta from taking Alabama with the first pick unless the Sugar lets them. If the Sugar allowed that, then the Sugar would almost certainly take Texas with the #2 pick anyway. If Florida ended up #1 in the BCS poll, the Fiesta would still have their second pick before the Sugar did, so it's still unlikely that the Sugar could end up with Ohio State (unless the Fiesta chose, say, Utah over Ohio State).

BTW, while many people will say Texas got screwed, let me just say this:

IF they stoppedd Graham Harrell on the final drive, we wouldn't be having this conservation.

IF they stoppedd Graham Harrell on the final drive, we wouldn't be having this conservation.
They almost did. They had an INT that went right through a DB's hands. That kid is probably still having nightmares about that play.

True! Only if that stupid butter fingers lb would not have missed the interception! That Lucky fluke of a last play would have never happened!:mad:

Well great....a perfect regular season, a close loss to one of the teams playing for the NC, and Bama gets ....Utah.....yay....:(. I swear I would have rather went to the Cotton Bowl. Or the Cap One Bowl. I knew it would happen, but seeing it now, it SUCKS. What a reward

Well, the bowl games are coming in, and there are some interesting matchups that pit certain fans of certain teams on this site.

With Texas vs. Ohio State in Arizona, in the desert, you have HD MM, Jimbo, and Sandra on one side, with BlackHitachi on the other- I can hear "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly."

BRING ON THE TRASH-TALKING!

Well great....a perfect regular season, a close loss to one of the teams playing for the NC, and Bama gets ....Utah.....yay....:(. I swear I would have rather went to the Cotton Bowl. Or the Cap One Bowl. I knew it would happen, but seeing it now, it SUCKS. What a reward

I thought it was kind of interesting that USC said publicly they would of rather gone to the Sugar or Fiesta, they are even bored with the Rose Bowl.

I thought it was kind of interesting that USC said publicly they would of rather gone to the Sugar or Fiesta, they are even bored with the Rose Bowl.
Somebody notify the conference commissioners. It's the Big Ten and Pac 10 commissioners that feel it is their RIGHT to play in the Rose Bowl. If they would get with the program we'd be closer to an actual playoff.

You've kind of got it right, but kind of wrong. You are missing the point that the order of the bowls picking (based on the final BCS standings) affects their replacement picks for teams lost to the BCS championship. After the 2 replacement picks for the bowls losing teams to the championship, the order this year is Fiesta then Sugar then Orange (basically, the bowl hosting the championship picks last, the one that hosted last year is second to last, and the other bowl picks before that). Assuming a BCS championship matchup of #1 Oklahoma and #2 Florida, you get bowl selections like this:

1. Fiesta (as a replacement for losing #1 Oklahoma)
2. Sugar (as a replacement for losing #2 Florida)
3. Fiesta
4. Sugar
5. Orange

Were Florida to finish #1 and Oklahoma #2, the picks would go:

1. Sugar
2. Fiesta
3. Fiesta
4. Sugar
5. Orange

So, given that scenario #1 is likely (Oklahoma as #1), you'll probably see the following picks:

1. Fiesta - Texas
2. Sugar - Alabama
3. Fiesta - Ohio State
4. Sugar - Utah
5. Orange - Cincinnati

The consenting you are talking about would prevent the Fiesta from taking Alabama with the first pick unless the Sugar lets them. If the Sugar allowed that, then the Sugar would almost certainly take Texas with the #2 pick anyway. If Florida ended up #1 in the BCS poll, the Fiesta would still have their second pick before the Sugar did, so it's still unlikely that the Sugar could end up with Ohio State (unless the Fiesta chose, say, Utah over Ohio State).

I read the rules again and your right. Its just the replacement picks that have bowl conf ties. After that, its free game. There is a cause towards the bottom about changing bowl matchups in the "best interest of the bowls and FOX" but not a requirement.

USC said publicly they would of rather gone to the Sugar or Fiesta, they are even bored with the Rose Bowl.

This reminds me of Cal in 2004, when they did not want to play in the Holiday Bowl.

Maybe Penn State teaches USC a lesson about disrespecting the Granddaddy?

Well, the bowl games are coming in, and there are some interesting matchups that pit certain fans of certain teams on this site.

With Texas vs. Ohio State in Arizona, in the desert, you have HD MM, Jimbo, and Sandra on one side, with BlackHitachi on the other- I can hear "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly."

BRING ON THE TRASH-TALKING!

Sorry, it's already been discussed ....
All of the above mentioned Buckeye and Longhorn fans respect one another, so I doubt that you will have much trash talking , maybe some good conversations, but not much Trash Talking.

This isn't the SEC ya know.

Jimbo

This reminds me of Cal in 2004, when they did not want to play in the Holiday Bowl.

After Mack Brown convinced some of his conference voters to deliberately move Cal down in the polls to get Texas into the BCS, I'd be a little pissed off with the Holiday bowl.

That's the reason the final coaches poll is public now.......

On another note, didn't CAL get their butt beat that year in the Holiday?

Wonder how Texas comes out for the Fiesta? I hope they bring their best game...just for CFB sake

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)