NCAA March Madness Package

light200

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
D* is going to offer a "Mega March madness" package add on for $70, which will allow you to watch games outside your region, 2 additional games in HD, and a split screen showing 4 games at once, plus other interactive tourney features. Does DISH Network plan on offering this same package, or will the D* customers beat us on this one too?

D* is going to offer a "Mega March madness" package add on for $70, which will allow you to watch games outside your region, 2 additional games in HD, and a split screen showing 4 games at once, plus other interactive tourney features. Does DISH Network plan on offering this same package, or will the D* customers beat us on this one too?

D* has exclusively had this package for the past couple of years or so. The simple answer to your question is, No, DISH will not be offering the same package.

You can check out CBS's website for info on getting the games streamed to your pc:

http://www.ncaasports.com/mmod?refcode=excl_vip

If you can get your local CBS affiliate OTA, check to see if they will broadcast out of area Regional games on their sub-channels. Our local affiliate, WRAL, has broadcast all the Regional games for years on their subchannels. Granted, its pretty low quality SD, but it works... especially since I can get our designated regional game in HD.

Dish lets everyone beat them to the punch on sports packages, Charlie just don't give a sh*t about them! He's to tight with his money, he would rather give it to lawyers for his wrong doing! We are the ones getting screwed! :mad:

Its not Charlie that is tight, its those Greedy Corporate NCAA executives who demand that we all pay out the nose for their stinking out of market games. They are just trying to get the double by Screwing Charlie and fisting you and me.

If you can get your local CBS affiliate OTA, check to see if they will broadcast out of area Regional games on their sub-channels. Our local affiliate, WRAL, has broadcast all the Regional games for years on their subchannels. Granted, its pretty low quality SD, but it works... especially since I can get our designated regional game in HD.
I live in the Raleigh area and I could have sworn that WRAL used to reduce the bandwidth, even on its OTA 5-1 channel just to be able to broadcast all the games. The result, at least for OTA was poor quality across the board. I hope that has changed.

After the first weekend, you can pretty much watch every game. I remember cbs broadcasted some games on the internet last year.

http://www.ncaasports.com/mmod

NCAA March Madness® on Demand allows you to watch LIVE game broadcasts of CBS Sports television coverage of the NCAA Championship on your computer for FREE!
NCAA March Madness on Demand is 100% free
Live games streaming on your broadband-connected computer
View up to 56 games* from the first three rounds of the Championship
Enjoy Championship highlights, recaps, and archived video
Exclusive halftime show
*local blackout rules will limit availability to 37 games for most people

Check out our FAQ page for more information on minimum system requirements, blackout rules, and other details.

As said above, why pay DirecTV $70 to watch the games when you can watch them for free on the internet, or often on your local CBS? Can you spell R-I-P-O-F-F?

march madness package

well, chicago local cbs hd only has one station, no subchannels, so that idea is gone.
watching the game on the internet is out because that is crappy quality...dont even argue that one.
the package is a great idea, because most of these great games go down to the wire and i want to be able to watch them, not watch the ticker at the top of the screen just showing scores. (i can do that on the internet!)

Very, Very few CBS locals will allow us to watch there subchannels, a few allow but most won't even think about giving us the option, most are stuck with 1 game, I'm sure many of us would pay "Charlie" $70 if he would step up to the plate just once on some of these sport packages like D* has.

Very, Very few CBS locals will allow us to watch there subchannels, a few allow but most won't even think about giving us the option, most are stuck with 1 game, I'm sure many of us would pay "Charlie" $70 if he would step up to the plate just once on some of these sport packages like D* has.
But that's the point, Charlie can't step up to the plate because DirecTV has both the exclusive contract locked up and the rights to negotiate first for the next contract. For the NFL ST and NCAA pacakge, Charlie has no opportunity to bid. And as for the MLB, if DirecTV is insane enough to bid $100M/year for MLB EI (which works out to around $400/year per current sub) I don't expect Charlie to follow.

And BTW, CBS usually does a good job of bouncing around to the best game, so you generally do not miss buzzer-beater games. To me the best benefit of the DirecTV NCAA package is to get to watch your favorite team when the local station chooses to show a different game. That just isn't worth $70 to me, but it is to you, then enjoy. :)

Actually, the streams were pretty good last year. High quality and fairly high bit rate, was very easy to watch on the PC while having the game broadcast locally on the big screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)