NECN (New England Cable News) on Dish?

LMW

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Southern NH
I wondering what is the possibility that NECN can be included with the Boston locals and other local markets in New England. Although this channel is produced by Comcast, I believe a change in the rules a few years meant they had to sell it to their competitors if they want it. Of course this question could be relevant to other regional news networks in other parts of the country.

If any of the DIRT people see this please consider it to be a request. Thank you.

I don't know those channels are part of the ruling.. It's a cable only channel. This situation happens in other cities also, Tampa Cable has a cable only news channel.
And Comcast gets around this even when it does come under the ruling by asking zillions of dollars so if it does come under the ruling Comcast still in effect does not offer it.

Last edited:
the only one on Dish right now is NWCN (Northwest Cable Network) and the reason it is on there is because Belo owns it. They own local stations too and last time at agreement time they requested Dish to carry it in the NW area (Washington, Oregon and I think Idaho). The Belo stations were pulled because Dish didnt add it at the time (they have since added it)

Comcast owns NECN. If Hearst still had a say then it might be different but I think its a cable exclusive

I don't know that there was ever a question of whether these stations are available to the satellite companies but both satellite providers have shied away from carrying them because they just don't think it is important enough to subs (or potential subs) to warrant the cost associates with carrying them----and in some cases bandwidth is an issue.

True, Dish does also, But were they ever denied to Dish or Direct? (My response was vague now that I read it - I should have said they still don't carry the Philly Comcast RSN) That's been the contentious one.

Yeah I was actually talking about Dish too. I'm not as familiar with the channels directv offers.

If you are interested in NECN as I am (watch it as a 9:00 news cast on non-game nights), and you pay for Comcast phone and Internet, you can get it with the locals that they are forced to provide to anyone with a Comcast line. In my area it's on 89-6 when the cable line gets hooked into the back of the tv, without the digital receiver.

Honestly I would rather see Dish add more HD before adding a local news outlet. Personally I was never impressed with their coverage

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)